Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They need to be identified, arrested, or at the very least fined for destruction of property and vandalism.

While I'm going to shed no tears on what the confederate symbols stood for I have a huge problem with mob mentality. This isn't what should be happening in the US as one of the Western leaders and it's something I'd expect to see in Pakistan, not here. Also the extreme right is already shooting themselves in the foot, why extend your own foot in front of the bullet?
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

The thing about this whole debate is that people love to say "the civil war was about slavery" when that absolutely was not the case. It might have been the issue that started the argument, the issue was national supremacy v. states rights. Basically what the state could allow v. what the federal government said was law.

The best way I can describe it is the marijuana law today. Some states have legalized it, while federally it is banned. So who gets to decide?

Essentially what the issue boils down to, and what a lot of people today (not everyone, but a lot of people) think is that just because someone in New York or California thinks something is bad, doesn't mean everyone has to follow suit. Obviously I'm not trying to say slavery is good, or anything. But some things should be left for the state to decide and the federal government should be left out of that decision.

The pride of the confederacy also comes from the fact that the north has always looked down on the south. We're a separate culture and thus we don't want to do everything that you do.

I detest the idea of slavery but I agree with the idea that the federal government doesn't have 100% say in all affairs that happen within the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    And the left wonders why they lost the election.....

Hint: See video.
    The left didn't lose the election. Everybody lost the election. Nobody won with what we have now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    The thing about this whole debate is that people love to say "the civil war was about slavery" when that absolutely was not the case. It might have been the issue that started the argument, the issue was national supremacy v. states rights.
    A state's right to what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    They need to be identified, arrested, or at the very least fined for destruction of property and vandalism.

While I'm going to shed no tears on what the confederate symbols stood for I have a huge problem with mob mentality. This isn't what should be happening in the US as one of the Western leaders and it's something I'd expect to see in Pakistan, not here. Also the extreme right is already shooting themselves in the foot, why extend your own foot in front of the bullet?
    Because we got to stick it to the Nazi guys!

*cue Nazi lawyer suing the fuck out of the city for "failing to protect property" or whatever garbage*

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    The fuck are you talking about, if you're convicted of a crime and your company finds out you can absolutely be fired.

Criminal is also not a protected class.

If you want to change that well, that's very open minded of you...
    I was referencing to the fact leftists are on their typical crusade to bully people, witch hunting the right wingers in the Charlottesville protests to get them fired... and here they are vandalising.

Just in case you missed it I used "...!" to emphasize sarcasm. Perhaps I should've used "/s" instead.

Between these people and the neo-nazi I am beginning to wonder what harm North Korea could do by nuking us.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Oh, so all we have to do is mow down protesters with cars and we'll win elections?

Bugger off with the concern trolling. Educated people are aware of the factors that played into 2016, people tearing down a statue of a racist is not one of them.
    If you seriously can't connect the dots on this one, then you really have no business responding in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Where's the police to protect public property? Literally vandalism.

If you believe a statue should be taken down, start a petition or some shit like that.
    When you do that, a bunch of nazis show up and hit someone with a car.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Not the precious statues.

Ahahahaha...

A state's right to what.
    Have sla... oh shit I mean, uh SOVEREIGNTY! SOVEREIGNTY!

And the South wonders why it lost the war...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    I was referencing to the fact leftists are on their typical crusade to bully people, witch hunting the right wingers in the Charlottesville protests to get them fired... and here they are vandalising.
    So murder vs. vandalism is what you're saying?

Go right ahead, cyberstalk these people and tell their employers they pulled down Confederate statues in response to a murderous neo-Nazi rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    Between these people and the neo-nazi I am beginning to wonder what harm North Korea could do by nuking us.....
    Throw both extremists onto an island and let themselves tear each other to pieces...

A state's right to what.
    What they want to allow.

Aside from a few key issues such as: murder, slavery, etc. What right does the federal government have to say you can do this, or can't do that compared to the state.

Take the marijuana issue for example. If a state was a prime location to grow, distribute, and then decided to sell marijuana, what right does the federal government have to say "No, you can't do that?"

Like, the citizens of that state live there and they are trying to earn a living. They should be able to do so in the manner they choose so long as they do not violate federal law.

is Hillary Clinton in that video?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Disgusting vermin and mindless rioters.

Even if you don't agree with what the statue represents it belongs somewhere where people can learn about it, even if that place is in the dusty section of a museum.

Fun fact: in response to this violence, officials in several states are now calling for their Confederate monuments to be removed too.

Officials in several states are calling for the removal of public monuments that have become controversial symbols of the Confederacy, driven by the national outcry over the violence in Charlottesville, Va., that erupted on Saturday during a protest organized by white nationalists.

In Nashville on Monday, protesters at the state Capitol demanded the removal of a bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest that sits between the Statehouse and Senate chambers, The Tennessean reported. Forrest, a Confederate general and KKK leader, was involved in an 1864 massacre of black soldiers.

Top Tennessee Democrats asked for its removal in 2015. But the Tennessee Heritage Protection Act, passed in 2016, has made the process more difficult.

Nashville is also home to another statue of Forrest that has been described as “terrifying,” with eyes that glow “like a flesh-eating zombie on bath salts,” as a Washington Post reporter once wrote. Despite efforts to remove it, the statue still stands.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/14/u...-kentucky.html

State rights, woooooo! Right?

Fascinating, the alt right's propensity for self harm. The US has been struggling to get these statues removed since the Civil Rights era, and now thanks to the PR the shitlords are generating they might actually get rid of them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Not the precious statues.

Ahahahaha...

Have sla... oh shit I mean, uh SOVEREIGNTY! SOVEREIGNTY!

And the South wonders why it lost the war...

- - - Updated - - -

Go right ahead, cyberstalk these people and tell their employers they pulled down Confederate statues in response to a murderous neo-Nazi rally.
    Whataboutism is pathetic.

10+ Year Old Account
    A state's right to what.
    Keep "workers".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    We will sure show them that we are better
    with violence and vandalism! Yeah!

"Murder"... that's a lot of free roaming murders out there...! Oh sorry you meant a few of their grandparents and ancestors? Sorry, got me confused for a moment.

Say what you will, but I despise hypocrisy. I am for neither side, both extremists can go to hell.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-08-15 at 03:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    What they want to allow.

Aside from a few key issues such as: murder, slavery, etc. What right does the federal government have to say you can do this, or can't do that compared to the state.

Take the marijuana issue for example. If a state was a prime location to grow, distribute, and then decided to sell marijuana, what right does the federal government have to say "No, you can't do that?"

Like, the citizens of that state live there and they are trying to earn a living. They should be able to do so in the manner they choose so long as they do not violate federal law.
    And in the case of the Civil War, what they wanted to allow was...slavery.

I get it, you folks in the South don't like being the bad guy in the conflict. This is why films about Native Americans always have 'good' white people. But it's not historically accurate and only serves to devalue the impact of the Confederacy and its legacy, especially in regards to the oppression of blacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.