Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Historical landmark? Dude, you see how shitty quality that thing was? How easy it came apart? Those things were mass produced and put up in the early 20th century. Nothing historic about them.
    Of course there is. We have statues of some of the cruelest roman dictators in museums who ever ruled because they are a part of history and we can learn from history what not to do.

... and your point is?...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    It belongs in a museum dedicated to the American civil war so people can learn about it.
    Nah. In the trash it goes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Are the protesters being arrested for this at all? Can't find any indication either way online.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    ... and your point is?...
    I defeated your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Which isn't inherently bad.

The pyramids were build with paid labor, actually.

And even if they were build by slaves, those people and their descendants would have been dead for 5000 years.

They are not a symbol glorifying slavery in the public space of a country that still directly deals with the aftermath.
    I would love a citation. One not from an afrocentric site.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    I defeated your point.
    My comment that you replied to had no point beyond dropping a piece of trivia I thought was interesting into the conversation. You cannot defeat trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    http://bfy.tw/DNmZ

infracted - minor spam
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-08-15 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    The pyramids being built by the egyptian farmers and workers is a well known archaeological fact.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng....fulltext.html
    https://www.seeker.com/slaves-didnt-...764995593.html

After all, the Egyptian King was their living God.

whether it happened yesterday or 5000 years ago it still Happened, all we can do is move on and make sure bad things don't happen twice. Monuments that represent things(good or bad) are there to remind us about the past and destroying them because you cant stomach the sight of them leads to very bad things.

Deleted
    Ever heard of vandalism?

I guess we can tear the pyramids down because they were made with slave labor.
    Oh please, the myth of slave built pyramids has been debunked decades ago.

Also, totally not the same thing. One thing was built as an actual tomb thousands of years ago, the other thing was built in the 1920s by white supremacists to show off and servers no purpose other than piss off a lot of people. Remembering confederate "heroes" my ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    The left is more hateful than anything I've ever seen.
    I don't quite get how people identify these assholes as "the left". You have to be aware that the majority of people who lean left don't do this shit right? I mean I don't know your intellegence level so I am checking. I know idiots like to parent people llike Sean Hannity and just generalize. I mean hell, lol the right wanted to make sure that people like the asshholes this weekend weren't part off them by making sure everyone knew they were alt-right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    Fairly sure germany has WWI memorials.
    Of course they do, they have WWII memorials, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Swing and a miss with the snark. Where instead of were...

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badlanguage View Post
    whether it happened yesterday or 5000 years ago it still Happened, all we can do is move on and make sure bad things don't happen twice. Monuments that represent things(good or bad) are there to remind us about the past and destroying them because you cant stomach the sight of them leads to very bad things.
    Which is happening in the US. It is the spirit of fascism going on a rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    There is indeed a bust of Horthy, but it is on private property overlooking the square as no government ever dared go as far as to raise a statue to him.

On the other other hand, you forgot we also have a statue of an American general, who is the most deserving of it, actually.
    Aye, true enough and I meant no disrespect to the people of Budapest - in London we've got a few statues of people that not everybody is proud of, e.g. Cromwell/Clive/Havelock, etc. It's just such an odd combination of opposing ideals in such close proximity to one another that it stood out to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    The thing about this whole debate is that people love to say "the civil war was about slavery" when that absolutely was not the case. It might have been the issue that started the argument, the issue was national supremacy v. states rights. Basically what the state could allow v. what the federal government said was law.
    It was entirely about slavery. It was a division between the north and south that had been widening throughout the 1840s and got much worse in the 1850s over the issue of slavery. It is dishonest to claim the civil war wasn't about slavery when the very core of why the south seceded was about slavery! The south saw in Abraham Lincoln and the Republicans, a party of abolitionists who would destroy the "peculiar institution" and destroy the lifestyle of the south. It was about slavery.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Soxoffender View Post
    Aye, true enough and I meant no disrespect to the people of Budapest - in London we've got a few statues of people that not everybody is proud of, e.g. Cromwell/Clive/Havelock, etc. It's just such an odd combination of opposing ideals in such close proximity to one another that it stood out to me.
    Oh, I did not take it as disrespect, I just amended out of a pedantic compulsion. No offense meant, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kneehidude View Post
    No it wasn't. Your view is the same as everyone else with a 5th grade level understanding of history. You can't move past the slavery issue to see the bigger picture. The exact same thing is happening today and yet you and others like you can't correlate it because "herp derp, slavery!"
    Try listening to a book once in a while. Audible.com. Professor Gary W. Gallagher. The American Civil War. I listen to it on the way to work. The first few lectures are literally about how the cause and motivations of the civil war was directly related to slaver. That's not a "5th grade level" of understanding, that's a professional level of understanding.
    Putin khuliyo