Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    You can't just call everything popular that you don't like ''overrated'', there are good reasons why Ulduar got its praise.
    No, we can literally call it overrated, by noting that the "forum popularity" isn't accurately reflective of what the actual popularity of the raid in the actual game was.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Throne of Thunder, Karazhan, SoO and Firelands were all much better imo
    I try not to belittle opinions but this is pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    I try not to belittle opinions but this is pretty hilarious.
    Why is it hilarious someone likes something more than something else?

I agree with the poster on Throne of Thunder and Siege of Orgrimmar.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-08-15 at 11:15 AM.

Deleted
    It brought a lot of new approaches to boss encounters which I think is part of the reason for it's "status". I did enjoy it a lot and wouldn't necesarily say it's overrated, but it's not the best ever either.

It was a amazing raid OP, idk what your on about.

However the best is by far Kara, nothing tops that.

Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Not to flat out disagree with you here, but most vanilla raids felt like how dungeons aesthetically should appear. They felt like dungeons and raids. TBC really didn't have that feel for the most part. Wrath did with the revamp Naxx and Ulduar. ICC was the first time I could say it felt like a siege! Something SoO failed!
    I think Naxx feels very video gamey and goofy. MC I guess feels like what it should but is just mind numbingly dull looking. BWL and Ony atleast both look and feel like what they should. While I like all the Old God/Insectiness of both AQ20 and 40, 40 rapidly becomes MC cave repetitive again until you hit Twin Emperors and Cthun's rooms.
    Last edited by ChairmanKaga; 2017-08-15 at 01:52 PM.

Personally I thought it was a very fun raid. The hard mode interactions are what made it shine. I wish that is how Blizzard went with hard mode raiding and not just flipping a switch. I however do not think it's the best raid they've ever designed.

15+ Year Old Account
    The special place Ulduar holds in my heart has nothing to do with the theme, layout or encounter mechanics.

It is all about "Triggerable Hard Modes" instead of "Difficulty Selection".
    Freiya had 4 (0 to 3 Elders Alive).
    Leviathan had 5 (0 to 4 Towers Destroyed).
    Yogg'saron had 5 (0 to 4 Watchers Assisting).

How awesome it was killing the XT's Heart for the first time (after having defeated it before) and getting utterly destroyed.

I am baffled as to why they dropped that concept.

Imagine instead of having Normal, Heroic and Mythic, just having 1 Difficulty and multiple Triggerable Hard Mode levels per boss.
    Last edited by Nurvus; 2017-08-15 at 02:01 PM.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

I'm just a huge fan of Lore heavy raids. Ulduar has that in spades. But so does Karazhan, BWL (pretty much all Vanilla raids), Naxx, ICC, Black Temple, Emerald Nightmare and now Tomb of Sargeras.

The Nighthold felt good too because of the huge build up during the Suramar quest chains.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I thought Ulduar was overrated before it was cool.
    I truly hated ulduar. It's quite possible it was because my raid was so bad at it. Liked the lich king raid more, I think--in fact, I've liked most raids more than Ulduar. Perhaps had I been in a different raid I would have enjoyed it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm just a huge fan of Lore heavy raids. Ulduar has that in spades. But so does Karazhan
    Not to dismiss your opinion, but for a lore heavy raid it took way too long to explain why the fuck everyone was dead / a ghost in Karazhan.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2017-08-15 at 02:48 PM.

Ulduar is remembered because it was the last RPG raid, after that the game started turning into an ARPG, because the hybrid classes started crying about equality of DPS.

It had already begun with WoTLK overall, but after Ulduar its were the balance team completely started switching things.

It was also the first really massive raid, Naxxramas was big, but just a circle, Black Temple was big but same colors everywhere, while Ulduar felt like you wear going deeper etc etc.

But also the first HM attempt where the bosses completely changed which was totally new for back then.

Its nothing special as mechanics etc, apart from HM Mimiron and Yogg and Freya.

Its literally the combo of RPG elements still existing + Way too big area + HM bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Not to dismiss your opinion, but for a lore heavy raid it took way too long why the fuck everyone was dead / a ghost in Karazhan.
    While it's not explicitly explained, the reasoning is there in lore.

Karazhan was the seat of the Guardian Medivh who was possessed by a piece of Sargeras. In his insanity he basically gutted his tower, turned Deadwind Pass into a wasteland, killed several people and became a tool for the Legion which is why there are several demons in his tower. Since then, which was decades ago, it's been abandoned and is the center of a great tragedy. In stories/ a universe where ghosts and magic are real....allows for ghosts and angry spirits and elementals to run amok.

Basically, Karazhan is a giant, old, and incredibly magical haunted house.

I will tell you why it is one of the best raids in four words.

"New toys for me?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkunas View Post
    I'm a BC fanboy and I think Ulduar was the best raid. From the hard-mode interactivity to the lore and art it's hands down my favorite raid.
    And theres nothing to add to this. Ulduar was 100% perfect. And never afterwards was a raid like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I don't get why everyone has such a raging hard on for ulduar. I'm not saying it was a bad raid but it was far from the best. BWL, SoO, Naxx 1.0, ICC, BWD, BT, and a few others were far better.
    it was because of yogg0, only fews guild was able to do it with 0 add and today people talk about it again because of the head mounts too

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    I don't get why everyone has such a raging hard on for ulduar. I'm not saying it was a bad raid but it was far from the best. BWL, SoO, Naxx 1.0, ICC, BWD, BT, and a few others were far better.
    I think Ulduar gets a lot of love because there wasn't enough time for people to get sick of it, and the raids around it were lackluster in difficulty (T7) or size/scope (T9 and the one-room no-trash raid). Personally I thought it was OK but "organic" hard modes get too much praise, in my mind.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

There wasn't anything memorable about Ulduar for me. It's one of my least favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    I don't think everyone praises Ulduar for its estethics or anything like that.
    I do. It had several different themes in it that worked well for that instance.

But also:
    - Hard modes done in smart way, not just as menu
    - Optional bosses that could be skipped
    - Each boss was different from each other, most brought new fun mechanics
    - Good art. There are few other raids that can compete with it, but they lack in other points
    - It was HUGE

No other instance comes close to Ulduar's design quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While it's not explicitly explained, the reasoning is there in lore.
    The reason is explicitly stated in The Chronicle Volume 2.

After Medivh opened the Dark Portal, he hosted a Party at Karazhan (Moroes suggested to host parties in Karazhan and Medivh allowed it).

Aegwynn sensed the opening of the Dark Portal, realised it was Medivh, confronted him during the party, Sargeras then made Medivh using the life essence of any partygoer to defeat Aegwynn.