Deleted

Talking Upgrading old rig

Hello I'm thinking about upgrading my about 4 years old rig. I mostly play WoW, sometimes I'll tackle a new title like Total War: Warhammer but other than that not much else. I would like to raid on best settings, so that's the main point of upgrading but I'm not sure how costly that would be (over 500 euro is kinda bad).

This is what I have now, it can handle WoW on 5, 35-50 fps, with CPU and GPU temperatures around 40-50, 80-90 Celsius respectively. I would like to have 10/ultra with stable 60+ fps. I know about GPU craze, I'm willing to wait if that means better prices or new and better CPU/GPU.

CPU: AMD FX-6200
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760
    SSD: OCZ-Agility3 60GB
    HDD: ST1000DM003-1CH162
    RAM: 2 x 4GB GR1333D364L9/4G
    Power supply: Vero M1 600W (That's actually more recent because the old one died)
    CPU Fan: Hyper 212 EVO
    Case: Aerocool PGS VS-9
    It was a big mistake, this cooler actually can't really fit in it. When side panel was closed GPU had terrible temperatures around 60 - 70 idle, without it it's around 40 - 50 so I just decided to roll with it.
    Other: I might consider to replace my mouse and monitor. My razer naga scroll wheel broke a while ago, so if anyone has a good mouse with some side buttons to recommend I'll gladly hear it. The monitor quite old one with TV tuner.

So that's it, I play on 1080p and I'm from Poland if that helps

Deleted
    No CPU will give you 60+ fps in (busy) raids *all the time* with everything on ultra - you can get close though.

The best CPU for WoW is currently an over-clocked i7-7700k - though priced at 320+ Euro plus mainboard and memory, it will get you quite close to that 500 euro barrier, if not beyond. It offers 4 cores and 8 threads.

However, I'd wait a bit for the upcoming 8th generation release - the 8700k sports 2 cores more and may get close to the 7700k's single thread performance.

If you want to spend a bit less the i5-7600k might be an option for WoW - however it has no hyper-threading and thus is limited to 4 threads, which is not a problem in WoW, but performance might suffer with modern games or streaming while playing. In that case I'd definitely wait for the upcoming i5-8600k with 6 cores.

You also could go for a Rzyen 5 build which will save you some money and offer more logical cores - those will however perform slightly worse in Wow since their single thread performance is not as good as Intel's, mainly due to higher clocks and better over-clocking potential on Intel's side.

That said, every one of those options will be a massive improvement over an fx-6200 CPU.

If you want to replace your monitor and mouse as well, the budget solution would be a Pentium build - you would sacrifice cores but the single thread performance is very good which is what matters for Wow, and still a huge improvement over your CPU.
    Last edited by mmoc1a2258818d; 2017-08-15 at 07:42 AM.

Deleted
    Thank you for answering

Pentium is an interesting option, it certainly won't last long but should be just what I need. I will probably couple it with 1060 3GB and will use it till next summer, when I might collect money for something stronger (both CPU and GPU). I guess I'll pair it with some cheap motherboard, cheap 8GB 2400 RAM.

I think about getting some better and bigger case since I'm quite disappointed after last one. I'll also get bigger and faster SSD because when I saw the speeds and sizes my jaw dropped a little. That should last for longer than a year.

The thing about my monitor is that I'm not sure how big of a difference changing it would make. It's pluged through DVI, 60Hz and well, screen tearing is noticeable. It also have a few dead pixels. If anyone could answer that I would be thankful .

I'll post some build for review when I'll create one.
    Last edited by mmoca560295a17; 2017-08-16 at 06:35 AM.

Deleted
    Thank you for answering

Pentium is an interesting option, it certainly won't last long but should be just what I need. I will probably couple it with 1060 3GB and will use it till next summer, when I might collect money for something stronger (both CPU and GPU). I guess I'll pair it with some cheap motherboard, cheap 8GB 2400 RAM.

I think about getting some better and bigger case since I'm quite disappointed after last one. I'll also get bigger and faster SSD because when I saw the speeds and sizes my jaw dropped a little. That should last for longer than a year.

The thing about my monitor is that I'm not sure how big of a difference changing it would make. It's pluged through DVI, 60Hz and well, screen tearing is noticeable. It also have a few dead pixels. If anyone could answer that I would be thankful .

I'll post some build for review when I'll create one.

Wait for Coffee Lake. Any WoW-specific PC is a must Intel buy, but there is no point of buying hardware that will be obsolete in 2 months.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Wait for the 8600K imo

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Wait for the 8600K imo
    WoW doesnt care about those cores.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    WoW doesnt care about those cores.
    Yeah, but I don't expect that 6 core i5 to be much if any more expensive then the current 4 core i5s, so why not wait a week to see if it's not an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Yeah, but I don't expect that 6 core i5 to be much if any more expensive then the current 4 core i5s, so why not wait a week to see if it's not an issue?
    You're paying for those 2 cores with clockspeeds, and those are valuable for WoW, unlike the cores.