Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Improperly canned food can lead to botulism which isn't fun to put it mildly. But yes, I would do what I must to make sure my community and I survive.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Starvation would certainly have me eatting that and likely worse. It's easy to have standards when your belly is fully and your imagination is all you have to draw upon to change your mind. Hell I believe anyone that posted they wouldn't here if faced with a week of water boarding would quick change the post on some pointless Internet forum topic. That wouldn't be as bad as a slow death of starvation.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    A better thread would've been in times of a Apocalypse, would you eat human flesh or starve?
    Or would you kill your pet/beloved family member or starve?

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I would eat fresh humans.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Turning down food you don't like is a luxury. Luxury will be the first thing to go during any kind of apocalypse.
    This should be on a t-shirt or something. Very well said.

I'd eat my mother first she is a fat lard and prolly flavorable after all the shit shes ate over the years - then I'd eat cat because I feed her human food, so she be loaded with protein. Then I would move to my canned food.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdLord View Post
    I'd eat my mother first she is a fat lard and prolly flavorable after all the shit shes ate over the years - then I'd eat cat because I feed her human food, so she be loaded with protein. Then I would move to my canned food.
    Don't cut yourself with all that edge.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    i handled my brothers horrible spaghetti, some canned food is nothing compared to his creation of torment.

Formerly known as Arafal

It's really fascinating that this seems to be a real question to someone. On the other hand, it shows how well people live today so they don't even know what real hunger does to you.

They found rocks in the stomachs of dead jews in nazi KZs that ate them out of desperation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd switch to subsistence living in a heartbeat, using any canned goods as rations until I get to where I need to be. If that isn't possible because of whatever reason, I'm not sure. That's where my will to live will be tested, and I will find out what my limits are, one way or the other.

If you plan on surviving on canned food alone, you're already dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was using Vault in the "Fallout" sense of the term.
    My over all point was a joke, but the idea behind fallout sheltering is flawed from the highlight I mentioned. It's better to be in a glacé none would think to look and be prepared. Because once raiders come they keep coming. Much worse than nuclear fallout.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    My over all point was a joke, but the idea behind fallout sheltering is flawed from the highlight I mentioned. It's better to be in a glacé none would think to look and be prepared. Because once raiders come they keep coming. Much worse than nuclear fallout.
    And my response was a joke. A joke that it seems i need to explain to you.

The Video Game Series "Fallout" features survival bunkers called "Vaults". It also features "Raiders" that the player character routinely slaughters and loots.

Basically, when you and your "raiders" show up at my vault...we're going to kill you and take your stuff which we will then use to kill the next group of raiders.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    And my response was a joke. A joke that it seems i need to explain to you.

The Video Game Series "Fallout" features survival bunkers called "Vaults". It also features "Raiders" that the player character routinely slaughters and loots.

Basically, when you and your "raiders" show up at my vault...we're going to kill you and take your stuff which we will then use to kill the next group of raiders.
    Well then I done goofed never played Fallout. I did laugh though.

Gonna have to YouTube Fallout game play now. Sounds hilarious
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I'd probably resort to cannibalism rather quickly. If it means the survival of myself and my family, I could "stomach" the idea.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    In case of an apocalypse, we would instantly lose the ability to perform even the simplest tasks of modern everyday life.

So opening the can would be impossible.
    do you not have can openers in germany? you know, the regular old cheap mechanical ones? baring that there is more then one way to open a can without a can opener

to answer the ope (jesus dude) I don't see a point in storing food that you don't really eat in a first place. when hungry most people would eat what they can, but it adds to stress and apocalyptic situation is already stressful enough. I don't do mormon like food storage, but I have been through some... lets just say shortages, so we keep a generous backup supply on hand, just in case. job loss is always a possibility. an injury that dramatically changes distribution of income is possible. any sort of emergency that requires tapping into every monetary reserve to fix - will benefit from not having to go shopping for food basics. or food in general. will take at least some of the stress out of it when you know that at least you'll be able to eat something. hell... when we had storms snowing us in so that traveling to get food was basically impossible and every store was closed, or when due to heatwave, electricity went out for nearly a week, and again, food became an issue? it was nice not to be among the crowds trying to scavenge for that last beaten up can of peas among the empty shelves.

so we store stuff we eat anyways, rotate through it, so that reserve is on a more recent stuff and if we have to eat solely through the reserve? yeah. we'll eat it just fine. baring that. a can of spam is better then starving.

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    I wouldn't make it past the initial blast. I live between two major population centers (Atlanta, GA. and Columbia, SC); if the initial blasts don't kill me the fallout will. So I've decided that in the event of nuclear armageddon, I'm going to walk out on to the balcony, open a beer, and meet death head-on.
    I doubt anyone is going to waste a bomb on GA or SC, when there are much better targets to pick from.......

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The real answer is that very few people have the willpower to starve themselves. Most people would do anything when they're hungry. I don't mean missed lunch hungry. I'm referring to didn't eat at all last week hungry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it's that or death by starvation so . . . at least with with the mystery meat I have a chance.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    I doubt anyone is going to waste a bomb on GA or SC, when there are much better targets to pick from.......
    That just depends on how many nukes they have.

At a certain level of hunger, you won't stop yourself from eating things you otherwise wouldn't.

Right now, I can't eat "spare ribs" of the kind that one buys from the store, as soon as I feel the texture and the fat, I'll heave and spit it out. Can promise I'd wolf them down if I'd be back to being hungry 3-4 days in a row again like in my childhood... And even then, we didn't starve (had 1 school lunch per day)...

When the amygdala takes over in a time of danger, you're pretty much shit out of luck. Just look at people suffering from panic attacks.