Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Such a shame the cop couldn't take his freedom to the doctors. How will he ever cope, will he ever feel truly free again?

This article just does not give enough information to say who is right and who is wrong.

In the state of Texas you can have weapon free zones. These zones must be clearly marked with a complaint sign that states that it is a weapon free zone.

further more, the man is a police officer and seams to had more then enough identification with him. Kinda surprised to see this happen in that town considering i live in the boarding town which is much more strict.

EDIT. Also, i have meet this police officer personally. Many times have i talked to him and he always appeared very polite which is a stretch for most cops. in fact most of that police department is actually pretty nice.
    Last edited by halflaloafofkungfu; 2017-08-15 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Once again, assuming the motive of anyone that carries. Like i said before, you are focusing on "bring a gun to the doctors" when im saying people that carry, usually just carry everywhere. I dont know why you keep focusing on needing to feel like a hero, maybe thats something you personally are struggling with.
    I'm focusing on "bring a gun to the doctors" because that's the topic of the thread. Duh.

People that carry guns aren't responsible for knowing where they'll be and what effect a gun would have in a particular context - also known as 'personal responsibility' that the right-wing holds as an important principle? You're claiming the excuse, "Oh...woops! I forgot I even had that thing strapped on today!" or "Hey, I'm just used to having my gun on me all the time. What's the big deal?"

There's no way to spin out of this or make it OK. It is not acceptable to walk into a Dr.'s office/visit with a gun - off-duty cop or civilian. The end.
    Last edited by Caolela; 2017-08-15 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caolela View Post
    Because bringing a gun to the doctor's is the topic of the thread. Duh.

People that carry guns aren't responsible for knowing where they'll be and what effect a gun would have in a particular context - also known as 'personal responsibility' that the right-wing holds as an important principle? You're claiming the excuse, "Oh...woops! I forgot I even had that thing strapped on today!"

There's no way to spin out of this or make it OK. It is not acceptable to walk into a Dr.'s office/visit with a gun - off-duty cop or civilian. The end.
    Where do you draw the line then? Used to be court house and federal buildings. Now its doctors offices. Can i take my gun into walmart? How about panera bread? Should no one be able to carry it in public? I feel like that is what you are trying to argue. Im not arguing against property rights here, i just didnt know the doctors office was some sacred place that everyone knows not to bring a gun into.

I really think its a cultural difference. Where do you live? What country? A city, town, or way out in the middle of nowhere? I think thats where our disagreements come from.
    Last edited by ellieg; 2017-08-15 at 11:04 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wow... talk about paranoid.......christ

Quote Originally Posted by xuros View Post
    If that were the case you could tell a cop to leave his gun in the car when going into your home since your home is private property.
    If the cop is off duty you absolutely can do that.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Where do you draw the line then? Used to be court house and federal buildings. Now its doctors offices. Can i take my gun into walmart? How about panera bread? Should no one be able to carry it in public? I feel like that is what you are trying to argue. Im not arguing against property rights here, i just didnt know the doctors office was some sacred place that everyone knows not to bring a gun into.

I really think its a cultural difference. Where do you live? What country? A city, town, or way out in the middle of nowhere? I think thats where our disagreements come from.
    Anyone with more than 4 brain cells to rub together knows it is not acceptable at a Dr.'s visit. Apparently this cop is so fucking stupid he couldn't find his own ass with both hands, or he knows better but is too much in love with his gun and authority to give a damn. IMO by this act alone he shouldn't be a cop, let alone police chief, because it shows a lack of restraint and good judgement but that's beside the point.

You're intentionally missing the point. It's not about 'where do you draw the line' to try to obfuscate the fuck up here. It's the notion of context - place, time, general situation, social mores. Just because something is technically legal does not mean you should do it in a given context.

Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    An appointment could have been official business if the reason he was there had anything to do with workmans compensation which depending on the state, your visits are considered work time. If that was the case, private business or not, they were in the wrong.
    “Official business” meaning that he wasn’t called upon the premises in order to retain the law i.e. the premises did not require the assistance of a police over to restrain or remove someone. It’s not hard to understand that much of it.

He was there for medical purpose, and whether that be on behalf of himself or the police force, you do not need to take a firearm to a doctors office.

As big of a 2A proponent as I am, the property owner's rights here should prevail.

The property owner's irrational, histrionic bullshit prerogative in exercising said right should prevail.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The doctor has a right to limit what a person can bring into their office. This doctor however is being paranoid. But he still has the right to be. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    The property owner's irrational, histrionic bullshit prerogative in exercising said right should prevail.
    Why is holding an off-duty police officer to the same standard everyone else is held to "irrational, histrionic bullshit"? You'd have a point if he was there on Police Business...but he wasn't.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Why is holding an off-duty police officer to the same standard everyone else is held to "irrational, histrionic bullshit"? You'd have a point if he was there on Police Business...but he wasn't.
    It should be common sense to understand a police officer is not a threat to anyone in the doctor's office. Actually just the opposite should be clear. It would be safer. But maybe he feels some of his patients would be offended. *shrugs. Ether way, it is his property and his right to limit what is brought to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It should be common sense to understand a police officer is not a threat to anyone in the doctor's office.
    Dude, you're saying a doctor holding every patient to the same standard is irrational and histrionic. After the whole affair was resolved peacefully, in a polite fashion from both sides.

Dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asewo View Post
    Dude, you're saying a doctor holding every patient to the same standard is irrational and histrionic. After the whole affair was resolved peacefully, in a polite fashion from both sides.

Dude.
    Well, last time I checked, I am a dude. lol!

A police officer is not just any other patient when he is wearing his service weapon. He is trained to be safe with it. But also note, I did say the doctor has the right to limit whatever one wants to bring to his/her office. I still think it is dumb and paranoid however in this case. Police officers are out there risking their lives every day so the laws can be enforced which helps us all be safer. If anything, I would not charge him for my services. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    You could say it would be common sense not to bring your firearm into a doctors office when you aren't there on official business too.

But the thing about common sense as they say is that it's not common :^)
    I agree with that. I carry a firearm, but if I see a sign with the crossed out handgun on the door or know they do not allow them, I leave it in my SUV.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they have a no firearms policy then they need to stay consistent about it. Off duty officers shouldn't get special privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, last time I checked, I am a dude. lol!

A police officer is not just any other patient when he is wearing his service weapon. He is trained to be safe with it. But also note, I did say the doctor has the right to limit whatever one wants to bring to his/her office. I still think it is dumb and paranoid however in this case. Police officers are out there risking their lives every day so the laws can be enforced which helps us all be safer. If anything, I would not charge him for my services. :P
    You still haven't explained why it's "dumb and paranoid" to hold all private citizens to the same standard. When you start making exceptions to the rules than other people will want exceptions too.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    “Official business” meaning that he wasn’t called upon the premises in order to retain the law i.e. the premises did not require the assistance of a police over to restrain or remove someone. It’s not hard to understand that much of it.

He was there for medical purpose, and whether that be on behalf of himself or the police force, you do not need to take a firearm to a doctors office.
    Actually you show up in uniform and the firearm is a part of your uniform. So yes it would mean that.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just sue the clinic for denying your rights and do early retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    Just sue the clinic for denying your rights and do early retirement.
    Nobody's rights were denied.

At the Doctor's office I work at, we've done the same thing to police officers who are patients and bring their firearms. That's the policy.