Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Its going to be replaced/repaired by the tax payer.
    Oh, what are they replacing it with? Is it something "the tax-payer" (as a monolithic entity apparently) will like?

Just like smashing windows to stop racism isnt terribly effective.
    I guess so..?

Dumbasses destroying a monument they don't even own.

Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A United Daughters of the Confederacy website says the Confederate Soldiers Monument was erected in 1924.

Mmmm, I don't think tearing down public statues is a good idea.

1924 there still would be living Confederate soldiers around, they'd be in their 70-80's.
    what? did you just say the civil war was in 1924?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its going to be replaced/repaired by the tax payer.

Just like smashing windows to stop racism isnt terribly effective.
    I seriously doubt it will be replaced/repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Robert E. Lee was a racist. Jefferson Davis was a racist and a child molester who raped his underaged slaves.

The Confederacy openly rebelled against the United States of America. They are traitors who were committing treason. The only reason their leaders didn't get hung from the gallows was because Lincoln let them off easy.
    Weren't all the original founding fathers traitors, racists etc?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    what? did you just say the civil war was in 1924?
    No, he didn't. Did you read it or just see a number you recognized and went with that and a mouthful of assumptions?

Well its a step up from graffiti I guess.

Another blow dealt to the working class tax payer.

That will show'em.
    You spoke to soon...

Lincoln Memorial Vandalized With Red Spray Paint
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...440565873.html

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Weren't all the original founding fathers traitors, racists etc?
    Traitors to Great Britain. Last I checked, I don't live in Great Britain.

Traitors to Great Britain. Last I checked, I don't live in Great Britain.
    Traitors in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Traitors in general.
    They were traitors for a few years, and then they were Americans. Same as the Confederates.

Traitors in general.
    No. Treachery requires a specific person, country, or ideal you're betraying. The Founding Fathers, after years of attempts at reconciliation, betrayed Britain. The South, after the Republican party with emancipation as an official part of their platform took the White House, quickly betrayed the Union and declared themselves an independent state specifically with the intention of preserving "the natural state of the white man over the Negro."

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    No. Treachery requires a specific person, country, or ideal you're betraying. The Founding Fathers, after years of attempts at reconciliation, betrayed Britain. The South, after the Republican party with emancipation as an official part of their platform took the White House, quickly betrayed the Union and declared themselves an independent state specifically with the intention of preserving "the natural state of the white man over the Negro."
    They're both traitors.

They're both traitors.
    And? Context matters. I can salute people who betray unjust systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    And? Context matters. I can salute people who betray unjust systems.
    A second ago they weren't. They were committing treason against the crown end of story.

A second ago they weren't. They were committing treason against the crown end of story.
    What? Committing treason against the 18th century British crown is the betrayal I salute, because the 18th century British crown was unjust. I do not salute betrayal of the Union for the reasons given by the South. While the Union was, and is, hardly perfect, the South betrayed the Union specifically to uphold an injustice.

What is this? A day for false equivalences?

Founding fathers betrayed Britain because the crown refused to listen to their demands, and restricted their individual freedoms on multiple levels.

The South betrayed the country because they were afraid that Lincoln was going to free their slaves.

What is this? A day for false equivalences?

Founding fathers betrayed Britain because the crown refused to listen to their demands, and restricted their individual freedoms on multiple levels.

The South betrayed the country because they were afraid that Lincoln was going to free their slaves.
    Weren't slaves property at the time?

Weren't slaves property at the time?
    Stop equating a revolution primarily about unjust taxation to a revolution primarily about owning human beings as property.

And yes, I'm aware there were numerous unjust tariffs levied against Southern goods, but they were ancillary causes to the war, and had persisted for decades until a party with emancipation as part of their platform seized the White House. They were also enacted in spite of the South's representation in Congress, not because they lacked representation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Hope they round up the rest of them, too.

It's hilarious how many people still think the civil war was about slavery. I guess it's all they teach in northern schools. Wouldn't want people to know that the civil war didn't even abolish slavery and it still continued in the north well after the war... Wouldn't want people to think the war was about state rights and how the federal government was gaining too much power over all the states. Just give me my welfare while I riot over things that I don't understand!!