Page 29 of 104 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Black Lives Matter didn't just spontaneously materialize. It was the result of well-documented abuses against blacks by authority figures which put to rest the idea a lot of people had that racism is behind us. There is no equivalence between their anger about generations of continuing mistreatment, and alt-right white supremacists trying to move things backwards.
    Didn't BLM materialize out of Ferguson where most of the city authorities were black, including the mayor and police chief? I can't believe you're forcing me to make this argument, but you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Why don't you go ahead and hold your breath and wait for me to give a shit about your opinion of me.
    My opinion of you could not possibly be any lower, I have known exactly what you are for quite some time.

My point was, both of my grandfathers who actually served this country by culling the nazi scum you keep making excuses for are disgusted by people like you, that's all.

Of course it doesn't surprise me in the least that you don't give a damn about that, keep on making excuses for right-wing terrorists. Whatever makes you happy, champ
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They weren't hijacking the protest. THEY ORGANIZED IT.

How many times do you need to be told that? The nazis organized the fucking thing.
    Dumb metaphor, it is the same as going on an anti-vigilantes protest organized by the Joker.

Why don't you go ahead and hold your breath and wait for me to give a shit about your opinion of me.
    Calm down Tony, you don't want a repeat of last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    What people are thinking of when they say "Confederate Flag" is a modern reproduction going back about 70 years and was used by reactionaries opposed to segregation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Calm down Tony, you don't want a repeat of last time.
    you're right, ill be careful.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem, to me, with limiting some forms of free speech is that you run into subjective issues of what is considered illegal. Who gets to make the determination? Can it be used to stifle valid criticisms? Can those laws be used to oppress one group over another?

Those are real slippery slopes there. I'd rather err on the side of caution and give full rights to everyone as opposed to limiting rights.
    I can understand that, and as i identify myself as a liberal (in the european sense) I prefer to give people every freedom as long as it doesn't infringe on other people. No voice should be silenced. One of the principles of our democracy is to hear all the voices and try to find a consensus (coalitions of different parties in government are the norm, not the exception). But what about the voices that want to abolish exactly this freedom and others granted by our constitution. Well, suffice to say, with our history we deemed it worth it to ban these voices.

What that means in practice: If you build a political platform with the goal of undermining the constitution, you're committing a crime. You can see this as a kind of modern treason. This not only applies to Nazis, but also to other extremist groups that want to destroy our democracy like ISIS. In fact we even ramped up the sentences for being a member of ISIS because we had a real problem with young people leaving the country to join ISIS. (now not to exxagerate - about 300 total, but that's a lot for such a small country in the European context). I won't deny there aren't some problems with it, but we once made the mistake to not fight people who wanted to get rid of our constitution, and the world paid dearly for it.

Of course these laws can be used to oppress one group, but up until now it has been used for Nazi and terrorist groups alone (there is a right wing and a far-right wing party going strong in austria; we have general elections in just 2 months, and they'll likely take the majority and rule the country for the next years - just to demonstrate this isn't used to suppress right wing activities - austria isn't a left-wing country).

Also this policy wasn't introduced by just one side, this was a bi-partisan decision by the left and right after the war.

In the end i think it is worth it, but you got to vigilant it isn't abused. If you don't trust the government... i wouldn't recommend it.

I wouldn't let lunatics hijack a protest I wanted to be a part of, I'd still protest while making it clear to whomever would listen that I was not associated with the opposing group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They weren't hijacking the protest. THEY ORGANIZED IT.

How many times do you need to be told that? The nazis organized the fucking thing.
    Umm yeah.

Tony you commented on the BLM protest in my town of Minneapolis when they chanted "Fry em like bacon" to paraphrase. You called the the whole protest as wanting to kill cops.

So you just want to pick and choose.

Deleted
    Fox News using Muhammad to defend a point. I never expected the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Umm yeah.

Tony you commented on the BLM protest in my town of Minneapolis when they chanted "Fry em like bacon" to paraphrase. You called the the whole protest as wanting to kill cops.

Unhinged right-wing hypocrite bends over backwards to make excuses for nazis and right-wing terrorists, more at 11!
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Well said.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Kasich put out a statement:

By now trump has set the bar so low, he could produce the world championship in Limbo.

I wouldn't let lunatics hijack a protest I wanted to be a part of, I'd still protest while making it clear to whomever would listen that I was not associated with the opposing group.
    Hey people. I flew to Syria to protest military action of our country and these other guys had these black flags and call themselves ISIS. I'm not with them.

So. How long until leaders of other countries say "Hey, if you're gonna be a Nazi supporter, we don't want anything to do with the US?" Or is that simply hopeful thinking?

I can only imagine being a Trump staffer right now, they spend all this time crafting the speech only to have Trump once again shit all over it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Umm yeah.

He also advocates running over protesters. just click the quote :

Agreed.

I wonder if they would block the ambulances that responded to that.
    But he totally doesn't believe in violence when he attends the rallys and boasts about punching antifa.

White Supermacy, and the KKK aren't abstract concepts, they have faces and they have names. Trump has thrown his hat in with them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    So. How long until leaders of other countries say "Hey, if you're gonna be a Nazi supporter, we don't want anything to do with the US?" Or is that simply hopeful thinking?
    That's why Pence will do all the travelling from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    Didn't BLM materialize out of Ferguson where most of the city authorities were black, including the mayor and police chief?
    No, it started forming after Trayvon Martin's shooting by Zimmermann. Ferguson was only the first march.
    Quote Originally Posted by mage21 View Post
    I can't believe you're forcing me to make this argument, but you are.
    If your argument is that police brutality doesn't happen in areas with black mayors or police chiefs, it's pretty damn stupid.
    So I hereby refrain from forcing you to make it.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

#impeachtrump is #1 trending on twitter right now with #Quitthecouncil at #2.

Fox News with the "Slavery is bad BUT..."