Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    "Pluto is a planet"
    Pluto will always be a planet at heart. <3

Quote Originally Posted by WinningOne View Post
    People act with increased maturity as they age.
    The truth is more important than being right.
    Sadly, that's not a universal truth.
    There are still quite a bunch of exceptions to that rule.

Deleted
    "You will need to remember this in your future life"

Quote Originally Posted by Rowarx View Post
    This made my cry from laughter thank you :P
    Your welcome

10+ Year Old Account
    The only lie, I can think of, you are taught in schools in Denmark is:
    RELIGION!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Moved from Denmark to the US in 84. Was sent to the principals office for saying Greenland belonged to Denmark and not Canada. The teachers argument was that Greenland was closer to Canada. I was 9 and stuck to my guns. Teacher hated my guts after having to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    As a college grad, I've come to learn the unfortunate truth that much of what our teachers teach us (in my case, the accounting field) isn't actually, in any way, needed or relevant knowledge for a job. But they will always claim that it IS important, of which I can only assume why being a strong resistance to change.
    It's actually not like you say it is. School's not meant to teach you specifically how things work. It's meant to give you a) a basic understanding of concepts and b) teach you how to learn. It doesn't matter what you learn, what is important is that you are enabled to implement learning processes that work for you. Information will always be outdated with new research and new developments. If you're a 50 year old tech designer and suddenly new tech comes along and you have to learn it, don't blame school for not teaching you proper physics but a simplified resemblance of physics. Thank them that they taught you how to adapt and learn new shit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    As a college grad, I've come to learn the unfortunate truth that much of what our teachers teach us (in my case, the accounting field) isn't actually, in any way, needed or relevant knowledge for a job. But they will always claim that it IS important, of which I can only assume why being a strong resistance to change.
    I think it has a lot to do with, to many professors without factual long term experience in their field. To many that get their masters and go straight into teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    My first day of Computer Science classes one of our professors told us in his opening speech do not expect to graduate and be able to do anything useful at your future job. He followed with in college you will learn the fndamentals behind the field and your employer will teach you how to do your job the way they want you to do it.
    Exactly. You are taught how to learn in school. Your place of work will teach you how they want it done. The degree lets companies know you know how to learn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    Pluto will always be a planet at heart. <3
    It wasn't a lie when it was taught though. We found out a lot more about what Pluto actually was and it did not line up with what planets are.

10+ Year Old Account
    My father is a professor for mathematics on the university. So it was kind of natural for me to learn mathematics before entering school (what is daddy doing? it was fun when i was 4 or 5 years old).

When i was in the third of fourth grade, we had more complex mathematical problems to solve. The problem on the board was: 3 + 4 x 4 or something like this. So i got up and said: 19, as is correct, but my teacher insisted it was 28. I wouldn't accept that, and according to my parents (who are still to this day, 25 years later, amused by it) i threw a tantrum, and my parents had to come to the school.

The teacher defended herself that the priority rules aren't taught at elementary school, and she was actually right, as most books for elementary schools ignore them. And this fact annoys me to this day, that we learn something wrong, because the small extra step for it being right would not make a big difference in learning, but you wouldn't learn wrong stuff for 2 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    One teacher said to me that they "wasnt sure I'd pass my English GCSE and should take a foundation paper over a higher paper" (Not sure what the equivalent of a GCSE is in America and other countries)

I got an A. Fuck you to that guy lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

We are all equal.
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I support the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Eh, schools didn't invent the food pyramid. The USDA made it then schools just went with it because a government agency made it.

Corn lobby strong.
    But the school taught it, which was the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    The biggest lie I was told was that the working class in my country is very powerful and blessed and will protect that antifascist wall forever. Little did that help to prevent what happened near the end of 1989.
    Around the time, I was watching daily TV reports of Ossies massing on our Western border, waiting to cross over to Austria. Looking back, it was funny that the TV still did not comment on how and why they want to go West, as we were officially still ideologically allied... but everyone knew anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Russians are good guys
    Came here to post this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Around the time, I was watching daily TV reports of Ossies massing on our Western border, waiting to cross over to Austria. Looking back, it was funny that the TV still did not comment on how and why they want to go West, as we were officially still ideologically allied... but everyone knew anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Came here to post this.
    I can still remember how happy and positive we were all back then:

Especially since i grew up just 20 km from the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I can still remember how happy and positive we were all back then:

Especially since i grew up just 20 km from the border.
    I would say that year (1989 for those missing out) was extatic. The whole world was changing... and we all felt it was changing for the better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The US "saved" Europe in WW1 and WW2

We had a pretty significant role in both wars, but . . . to say that we "saved" Europe is a bit arrogant. Every nation did their part. We could not have done it alone.

And more for WW1, because we came in very late to the game.
    Lend-Lease was a game changer, though. The other Allies arguably could have pulled through just on the materiel without US troops, perhaps even without that... but it would have taken extra years and more suffering all around.

So yes, I believe the US ultimately saved... maybe not Europe as such, but hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of European lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Moved from Denmark to the US in 84. Was sent to the principals office for saying Greenland belonged to Denmark and not Canada. The teachers argument was that Greenland was closer to Canada. I was 9 and stuck to my guns. Teacher hated my guts after having to apologize.
    There is an island - glorified piece of rock, really - between Greenland and Canada that is disputed.

Time and again, coast guards land on the rock, change the flag and leave some booze for the other team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Time and again, coast guards land on the rock, change the flag and leave some booze for the other team.
    I love this story since i've read it for the first time. Now that's how you fight over disputed land!