View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
156. This poll is closed
  • He's cheap ass and she called him on it.

9 5.77%
  • Look it is about the size of the mans heart not wallet.

82 52.56%
  • Don't know enough about either, maybe they both suck.

37 23.72%
  • Other (Comment below)

28 17.95%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    She complained anonymously online instead of talking with her fiance.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh Winter...
    Maybe she didn't want to yet talk with her fiancé because she isn't sure how to approach it as it is a sensitive subject and she doesn't want to upset him... I mean you're all here calling her a skank gold digger slut who needs to be dumped so....

Which has nothing to do with their current price. Their current price is entirely based on market manipulation and advertising by De Beers. This is fairly well known.
    I agree with this, but if I want a diamond I'm still going to have to end up paying "market value" even if it is something that is manipulated and controlled... unless I decided to go digging through pawnshops to essentially buy a used one at a lower price (but that seems like a lot of work and time I think I'd rather just spend the money).

10+ Year Old Account
    Woman here. Would be pissed at him for buying such an expensive ring.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Yes, I get that. I'm talking about diamonds not being introduced as engagment rings by diamond companies. They didn't introduce or popularize it. Diamonds were being used long before that amoungst people of nobility and who were higher class.
    Diamond companies introduced diamonds as THE ONLY engagement ring you need to buy for 2, no, 3 months salary. They did popularize it, no, not popularize it INGRAIN it into people's minds. Even though diamonds are intrinsically WORTHLESS.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    I could understand talking about it with him if she just really didn't the style, that much is, to be honest, quite fair. I mean, she has to wear it her whole life, suppose he picks something hideous (in her eyes), then talking about it could be good for them. Beside being an astronomical failure on his part for not knowing her tastes about it.

But bitching about the price? Get the fuck out. THAT is just greedy as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except, history shows otherwise. Again, it become popular amoungst people of nobility and higher class well before the diamond mines were discovered. That allowed more people to buy them.
    Given that, why would it be expected for blue collar folks to pony up 2-3 months salary for a ring? Blue collar folks are not in the same ball park as Nobles or Royalty. At some point, it was marketed as a requirement for all, no matter what income bracket you are in.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    While I personally think her attitude about the ring is abhorrent, and the size of the ring should not matter, but the motivation and heart behind it that count, I'll add another two cents here from a different angle. Namely her comment about him making a "six figure salary". At the end of the day, that six figure salary doesn't necessarily mean he has money to burn.

I worked in NYC for a number of years and made $110k. While that may seem like a lot of money, it wasn't a ton. I couldn't afford to easily live in Manhattan (I had a wife and one year old son). We lived in Hoboken, and while our apartment was really nice and spacious, it was still a lot of rent. It depends on the cost of living where he resides, if he has a mortgage, a car payment, the bills he has, etc. Maybe he really wanted to propose and $1600 was all he actually had on hand and proposing with a ring was more important than saving up and buying a really impressive ring?

Also, this whole idea of an engagement ring for a percentage of your salary is a god damned exhausted notion. It's a nod to the days when the dowries were used and in this day and age it should be about the heart. Not the pocketbook. So ridiculous.

Right, so instead of just talking honestly with her fiance she posts online to complain. Sounds like a bitch move to me. I'm not calling her any of those names.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it really wasn't. Oh, and saying that something is popular with at most 1% of the population is to say they aren't popular at all.
    I think it's woefully stupid to consider a person a bitch for complaining anonymously about a jewelry item they got and don't like.

Nothing about that makes her bitchy... if a guy complained about a watch his girlfriend got him that he didn't like is she now also a bitch? Like seriously....

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    I could understand talking about it with him if she just really didn't the style, that much is, to be honest, quite fair. I mean, she has to wear it her whole life, suppose he picks something hideous (in her eyes), then talking about it could be good for them. Beside being an astronomical failure on his part for not knowing her tastes about it.

But bitching about the price? Get the fuck out. THAT is just greedy as fuck.
    I feel like they already have communication issues and should just end it. My hubby took me ring shopping before we were engaged to get an idea of what styles I liked. Then he actually went to a jeweler and designed my ring. I love my ring (9years later even) but I wouldn't have spent what he did had I actually picked my ring.

Completely agree that you can be upset about the style but the price? really? I guess maybe the price just stings more for her since she doesn't even like the style along the lines of he didn't even make an effort since he *could* probably afford to spend more.

So she wants the ring to boast about what it cost despite overly large rings being unwieldly and a pain to wear.
    Engagement rings should be a single band of gold, no stones, so they can be worn constantly.
    If someone wants jewelry to impress others then engagement rings are not the piece to do it with.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The ring I have picked out is $300.

https://www.jewelsforme.com/citrine-...ne-lab_emerald

I'm still shopping for a nicer setup, but this is the design i'm aiming for.
    are green and yellow your favorite color? always wonder what people like in their ring tastes

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this guy sees this as a sign and backs away slowly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure it eventually was seen as a requirement, but again, I'm talking about how the diamond engagement ring was first introduced. That the diamond engagement ring wasn't started by them; that it was already popular amoungst certain people, even if it did get more popular as time went on.
    I understand. But there is a difference between initial intention, and progression. Since we are talking about why the engagement ring is viewed as it is today, we have to involve that aspect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Molis View Post
    I hope this guy sees this as a sign and backs away slowly.
    or quickly! just as long as he does

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    are green and yellow your favorite color? always wonder what people like in their ring tastes
    The Emerald is the Birthstone for May (my birth month) and Citrine is for November (her birth month).

But as well, Green and Yellow hold other significances for me as well. Green is just my favorite color in general, and the color of my eyes (not as deep as emerald green though), and yellow is the color of the dress she wore on our first date, (plus she is one of the worlds biggest Pikachu fans).

And a not so related significance, Emerald and Gold were my highschool colors. But that isn't really part of why these were chosen, just more of a happy coincidence.

Huge red flag. My wife and I spent $60 on our wedding and then a few hundred on matching white gold wedding bands. Plain bands, no gems or flourish. Money wasn't an issue, we just saw no reason to waste it. The amount of money people believe they need to spend on a wedding is absurd. Spending money won't make your marriage stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The Emerald is the Birthstone for May (my birth month) and Citrine is for November (her birth month).

But as well, Green and Yellow hold other significances for me as well. Green is just my favorite color in general, and the color of my eyes (not as deep as emerald green though), and yellow is the color of the dress she wore on our first date, (plus she is one of the worlds biggest Pikachu fans).

And a not so related significance, Emerald and Gold were my highschool colors. But that isn't really part of why these were chosen, just more of a happy coincidence.
    what a nerd :P. Ring looks cool, good luck when you propose. If she really is a pikachu fan you could always use "I choose you!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    what a nerd :P. Ring looks cool, good luck when you propose. If she really is a pikachu fan you could always use "I choose you!"
    The ring box will be a Pokeball. Not even kidding.

We have a few of the old school ones which are about 6 inches tall.

In the ball, i'm going to fit a thick piece of foam in it, with a Ring pop on top and use that to propose. I plan on splitting the foam horizontally and hide the real ring in that. Sort of like a box in box trick.

Yeah, I don't get the US osession about engagement rings. I mean, who's wearing theirs after getting married anyway? So it is just a very overpriced (and in my eyes often ugly) dust collector.

My husband got me a nice necklace for our engagement. He knows I'm not into the "big bling", so he chose carefully to not overdo it and I still wear it regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lylandra View Post
    Yeah, I don't get the US osession about engagement rings. I mean, who's wearing theirs after getting married anyway? So it is just a very overpriced (and in my eyes often ugly) dust collector.

My husband got me a nice necklace for our engagement. He knows I'm not into the "big bling", so he chose carefully to not overdo it and I still wear it regularly.
    Many women wear both rings forever.