15+ Year Old Account
    The other day it was pointed out to me that one of the biggest differences between the show and the books is that they almost never uses horses in the show. I couldn't stop thinking about that this episode. In the book they always ride garrons when they range north of the Wall, and if these guys had garrons on this little expedition they would have been able to get back to Eastwatch after recovering the wight with no issue.

There were some other issues I had. If the wights can get down into the lake and still be able to wrap those giant chains around the dragon and haul it out, why did they have to wait for the lake to refreeze before attacking the A-Team? Nevermind the chains themselves coming from nowhere.

Still, the episode hit all the right fanservice pressure points. The conversations while they were ranging were all pretty great, and the big action scenes were pretty great. Nice to finally seen an undead bear, even if it is just one. Makes me kinda bummed that the direwolves are all dead or MIA. Poor Ghost doesn't get any screen time even though he's still alive. Would have been nice to see him interact with Dany.

I like the interactions between Arya and Sansa, even if I know that this story arc will end in a way that I find pretty unsatisfying, having already read the leaked scripts and summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    Reminded me of an Original Vampires sireline from the Vampire Diaries, when the Original dies his entire bloodline dies with him/her.
    FWIW, that's true for pretty much all vampires and their thralls in every vampire story ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    I liked the Lich Kings way of resurrecting dragons better.

This is all I was thinking about watching that scene. May as well call The Night King The Lich King and Viserion? Sindragosa..

10+ Year Old Account
    Great episode, not one of the best, but really good.

Thought the Olympic javelin was a bit meh, guessing it was Viserion, as I expect Jon Snow to ride Rhaegal.

Disliking the Arya and Sansa crap.

Jon and Dany need to kiss god damnit!
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2017-08-16 at 05:35 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romulen View Post
    This is all I was thinking about watching that scene. May as well call The Night King The Lich King and Drogon? Sindragosa..
    To be fair, I don't think there's any denying that Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne were heavily influenced by the A Song of Ice and Fire books.

The final cinematic showing the fight between Illidan and Arthas was even titled "A Symphony of Frost and Flame."

I decided to watch the leak to make myself immune to the inevitable spoilers... tense episode. If you choose to watch it, play it at 0.90 speed in VLC - it plays too fast for some reason.

Thoros is dead. A dragon is dead and now a wight. Benjen is dead. Sansa starts plotting against Arya, Arya threatens to kill Sansa. Romantic stuff with Jon & Danaerys. It's not entirely clear, but Jon either proposed to her or bent the knee to her. Called her "my queen".

A lot of 'flaws' in that last episode. Lots of little niggles, but still a good episode.

Arya, Sansa and Littlefinger plot line is shit. Please stahp.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I decided to watch the leak to make myself immune to the inevitable spoilers... tense episode. If you choose to watch it, play it at 0.90 speed in VLC - it plays too fast for some reason.

Thoros is dead. A dragon is dead and now a wight. Benjen is dead. Sansa starts plotting against Arya, Arya threatens to kill Sansa. Romantic stuff with Jon & Danaerys. It's not entirely clear, but Jon either proposed to her or bent the knee to her. Called her "my queen".
    How is it not clear, he even mentioned I'd bend the knee (cause he was injured) and she asked him "what about those that sweared allegiance to you" .

Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    couldnt cross the lake, had to wait until it is frozen
    Also I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a trap. The Night's King doesn't care about a company of random stooges. He wants a dragon. Had he wanted I'm pretty sure he could have killed Jon's company easily.

It was a great episode, I rolled my eyes at bit at the slightly forced antagonism between Arya and Sansa, and the bit more than slightly forced romance between Jon and Dany, and the idea to go get a Wight to convince Cercei of all people is still fucking dumb, but it paved the way for some cool action sequences, a lot of enjoyable banter, and some pretty sad scenes. Poor Thoros and Viseryon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    To be fair, I don't think there's any denying that Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne were heavily influenced by the A Song of Ice and Fire books.

The final cinematic showing the fight between Illidan and Arthas was even titled "A Symphony of Frost and Flame."
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Why didn't they just blast Night King with dragonfire? He was clearly there in sight and not really having a hurry.
    I'm pretty sure this episode confirms dragonfire doesn't harm White Walkers as the NK just pushed the fire out of his way. Only Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel seems to be able to harm them.

Surely someones head has got to roll for this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandi View Post
    I'm pretty sure this episode confirms dragonfire doesn't harm White Walkers as the NK just pushed the fire out of his way. Only Dragonglass and Valyrian Steel seems to be able to harm them.
    the walkers that got hit by the fire died a direct fire blast from a dragon does indeed kill them even the NK and his luitenants, i dont know which episode you watched.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    That wouldn't have made more sense, that would have just made the Lannisters look incompetent. They didn't know which direction the Dothraki were coming from, and thus, formed a circular shield wall that Dany promptly collapsed with generous applications of Dragon Fire.

Protecting only one flank and leaving every other side exposed is something only an idiot does. Unless you know with 100% accuracy where the enemy is coming from, which they did not. For all they knew, the horde could have been trying a pincer move to get them from both sides like Stannis did against the wildling army.

The real military mistake in that scene is that Dany burned only one gap in the shield wall for her riders to exploit. The rest simply smashed against the shield wall and successfully broke it with only light cavalry. Which is something just about any Total War fan will say simply doesn't work that way. The Dothraki riders were not in a Wedge Formation, neither the horses nor the riders wore heavy armor, and they simply smashed against the shield wall with brute force to break it, showing very minimal damage to their side for their efforts.

That's my only minor nitpick about the whole scene. Military mistakes have been shown in past battles (There were plenty in the battle of the bastards) but those mistakes had a good justification for them, and more importantly, the consequences of those mistakes were shown in all its gory detail. Here, the military mistakes had a mild justification (Dothraki are not exactly cunning strategists, they're a berserker horde, so of course their first and only plan in a battle is "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK"), but absolutely no consequences for this ever happened.

If Dany had burned multiple gaps in the shield wall for her riders to exploit, that would have fixed the discrepancy entirely, but I guess they didn't do it for budget reasons.
    You're not taking the Dragon factor into consideration. No shield wall in the world would hold up in place after seeing something they believed extinct showing up and turning a couple dozen warriors into ash in a few heartbeats. The psychological effect of the dragon charge would more than make up for the light cavalry disadvantage over the walled foot soldiers, which is exactly what they portrayed in that episode.

15+ Year Old Account
    Looked to me like the only things that got hit by dragonfire were wights. Maybe I was wrong.

If the Night King can die to dragonfire, that's a shame, because then the only reason he's still alive is because, "that's what the writers wanted to happen."

I wouldn't take that as confirmation. In episode 4 the Dothraki were able to ride through the dragon fire when it was on the ground. The Night King was able to part the fire on the burning corpses (we've seen this before at Hardhome with normal fire) which is totally different to getting a full blast directly from a dragon (which causes humans to turn to ash and buildings to melt).

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    the walkers that got hit by the fire died a direct fire blast from a dragon does indeed kill them even the NK and his luitenants, i dont know which episode you watched.
    I have only see wights burning, can't recall a shot a white walker died by it.
    Either way GoT would be over soon if it was the case.

You don't see any white walkers actually get hit with the fire. So it might work it might not.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    I have only see wights burning, can't recall a shot a white walker died by it.
    Either way GoT would be over soon if it was the case.
    Or not seeing he killed a dragon.

Jon yells out that there are only 2 ways to kill a Wight, the first fire, so they set fire to one of the wights arms and the arm stops moving and the Wight finally displays pain… and the second is dragon glass to which Jon uses to stab the Wight and the Wight dies
    This is coming from a leak that so far has been 100% accurate.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-08-16 at 06:22 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Wight =/= White walker

Thought be knew that by now

15+ Year Old Account

Wights and White Walkers are not the same thing.