Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Just because it's only on consoles, or one specific console, doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just because you don't seem to have a console doesn't mean the list is wrong or bad. At least try to be objective.
    It doesn't make it a bad game, but it does limit the audience and therefore exposure. Either way none of these games have that Skyrim level of craze. People aren't meme'ing them, and talking about them. Sure people talk about Crash and Sonic Mania, but for more nostalgia reasons than anything else. I'm a Dark Souls fan and nobody is talking about Nioh. Yakuza 0 is talked about, but mostly for it's extreme comedy. No mention of gameplay, probably because there is none. So I assume these games are mediocre, and being PS4 only means I have to buy a console to try a bunch of games that I probably won't like.

Actually lets look at sales, the real measure of success, going by VGchartz. Website works for consoles but not PC games, but this still proves my point.

Zelda Breath of Wild - 4.24 in sales
    Persona 5 - 1.18 in sales
    Horizon Zero Dawn - 3.22
    Nioh - 0.73
    Inustice 2 - 1.10
    Yakuza 0 - 0.65
    Gravity Rush 2 - 0.25

So as we can see of all the console exclusives only Zelda did extremely well, with Horizon doing pretty well surprisingly. Everything else was pretty meh in sales. You know Dark Souls was console exclusive and didn't get a lot of recognition until it was ported to PC. Then suddenly the Internet was a storm over praising the sun and Dark Souls memes all over the place. So if there is a gem in that pile of filth, porting to PC might be the best thing for their games. Porting to all platforms is also a really good idea.

BTW if you're wondering, the total sales in not just for one single console but for all available consoles the games are on. Also Yakuza 0 was released in 2015, so I don't know how that game made the list, but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Put it this way. Last review I read was IGN for Doom and they gave it 7.1/10 because of multiplayer in an FPS game that focuses more on Single Player.

You wonder why I don't read most of them nowadays.
    Honestly not a big fan of Doom 2016. I mean it's an OK game, but I felt they tried so hard to modernize the game by giving regenerative health. It's not there but killing enemies seems to do it anyway. At least it takes some skill to get back health instead of hiding and waiting for your health to return. But I would still give it a 7/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    VGchartz.
    So let's sum this up.

"I don't have a PS4 so I can't play the games so they're not good".

Then you go to a blatantly false site to try and prove your point. Do yourself a favor and never go to chartz again, aka ass pull the site. The only legitimate sales numbers come from NPD, Mediacreate and the european versions of these. They're still not perfect as most times they don't include digital and a lot of countries still have no legit forms of tracking.

Thanks for the laugh though, the most successful game in ATLUS history(a company doing well for itself for 2+ decades now) is not a success.

It doesn't make it a bad game, but it does limit the audience and therefore exposure. Either way none of these games have that Skyrim level of craze. People aren't meme'ing them, and talking about them. Sure people talk about Crash and Sonic Mania, but for more nostalgia reasons than anything else. I'm a Dark Souls fan and nobody is talking about Nioh. Yakuza 0 is talked about, but mostly for it's extreme comedy. No mention of gameplay, probably because there is none. So I assume these games are mediocre, and being PS4 only means I have to buy a console to try a bunch of games that I probably won't like.

Actually lets look at sales, the real measure of success, going by VGchartz. Website works for consoles but not PC games, but this still proves my point.

Zelda Breath of Wild - 4.24 in sales
    Persona 5 - 1.18 in sales
    Horizon Zero Dawn - 3.22
    Nioh - 0.73
    Inustice 2 - 1.10
    Yakuza 0 - 0.65
    Gravity Rush 2 - 0.25

So as we can see of all the console exclusives only Zelda did extremely well, with Horizon doing pretty well surprisingly. Everything else was pretty meh in sales. You know Dark Souls was console exclusive and didn't get a lot of recognition until it was ported to PC. Then suddenly the Internet was a storm over praising the sun and Dark Souls memes all over the place. So if there is a gem in that pile of filth, porting to PC might be the best thing for their games. Porting to all platforms is also a really good idea.

BTW if you're wondering, the total sales in not just for one single console but for all available consoles the games are on. Also Yakuza 0 was released in 2015, so I don't know how that game made the list, but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly not a big fan of Doom 2016. I mean it's an OK game, but I felt they tried so hard to modernize the game by giving regenerative health. It's not there but killing enemies seems to do it anyway. At least it takes some skill to get back health instead of hiding and waiting for your health to return. But I would still give it a 7/10.
    Success doesn't make a good game, it just means they sold well, which may be a good secondary metric to use but it's far from the best IMO. The NFL games and Call of Duty clones all do well in sales but are pretty lack luster as far as games go. I don't base game quality on sales, I base game quality on ...game quality. Horizon was one of the best games I've ever played, not sure why you're surprised by it's mediocre success.

I also disagree with the porting to all consoles idea. While it might be better as far as exposure and sales are concerned, having the game release on that many platforms at the same time inevitably leads to bugs and un-optimized play experiences as a result. Console exclusives by comparison are not plagued with that level of..issues I guess. Not saying they're all perfect, just saying they are FAR less likely to be un-optimized or buggy.

But again, you're basing your opinion on assumptions and IMO using a flawed metric to come to a conclusion about game quality. What point are you trying to make about sales exactly? Game sales do not equate to game quality or whether you will enjoy it....and IMO is an awful metric to try and use for that purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Nay, I do actual research before buying a game. Checking multiple reviews from 'professionals' and random folk to get an idea of what the game is actually like.

No only Worth a buy and several other gameplays/lets plays

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    So let's sum this up.

"I don't have a PS4 so I can't play the games so they're not good".

Then you go to a blatantly false site to try and prove your point. Do yourself a favor and never go to chartz again, aka ass pull the site. The only legitimate sales numbers come from NPD, Mediacreate and the european versions of these. They're still not perfect as most times they don't include digital and a lot of countries still have no legit forms of tracking.

Thanks for the laugh though, the most successful game in ATLUS history(a company doing well for itself for 2+ decades now) is not a success.
    Yea I know your kind. If you have better sources for sales info then please share. But I doubt the information would be much different. My point still stands, in that none of those games are Fallout 4 or Skyrim level of success. For good reasons. Being PS4 exclusive makes it harder for them to have good sales. Dark Souls on consoles didn't do as well on PC for some reason, but this is why porting games is important. Pretty sure Bayonetta's port to PC was trying to accomplish the same thing.

Success doesn't make a good game, it just means they sold well, which may be a good secondary metric to use but it's far from the best IMO. The NFL games and Call of Duty clones all do well in sales but are pretty lack luster as far as games go. I don't base game quality on sales, I base game quality on ...game quality. Horizon was one of the best games I've ever played, not sure why you're surprised by it's mediocre success.
    And I also don't base it just on sales. Remember I said I also base it on the amount of meme's created as well. But ultimately for a company, it's is the sales that matters. That is their bottom line.
    I also disagree with the porting to all consoles idea. While it might be better as far as exposure and sales are concerned, having the game release on that many platforms at the same time inevitably leads to bugs and un-optimized play experiences as a result. Console exclusives by comparison are not plagued with that level of..issues I guess. Not saying they're all perfect, just saying they are FAR less likely to be un-optimized or buggy.
    Bad ports are just the game studio not giving a shit about the games port quality. We shouldn't let games be exclusive to platforms just cause we're afraid of bad ports. Dark Souls for PC was a very bad port, and it still did well. Then for Dark Souls 2, From Software realized that PC sales were real, and threw more effort.
    But again, you're basing your opinion on assumptions and IMO using a flawed metric to come to a conclusion about game quality. What point are you trying to make about sales exactly? Game sales do not equate to game quality or whether you will enjoy it....and IMO is an awful metric to try and use for that purpose.
    Ultimately my point is that your opinion doesn't matter and every game is game of the year, and therefore isn't. Also if you want to see a sequel to Gravity Rush 2, then good sales are what make sequels. Every year people claim that this is best game or that is best game, but it is quickly forgotten. And while there are exceptions to this like Madden Football and Dark Souls, it isn't the rule. Not many games sell like Madden where you can basically get away with recycling content, and adding almost nothing. Not many games are hidden gems like Dark Souls, and a port to PC gave it the exposure it needed.

My point still stands
    You never had a point to stand on period. 2017 so far is regarded as one of the best years in gaming history by reviewers and gamers alike.

No wall of text is going to make up for the amount of fail that comes with "2017 is a bad year for games". No one is taking you serious in this thread after an award winning statement like that.

Not many games are hidden gems like Dark Souls, and a port to PC gave it the exposure it needed.
    Please stop with this non sense. Dark Souls was a multi million seller before it ever touched the PC platform. Dark Souls and "Arrow to the Knee" where literally the biggest things in gaming culture in late 2011.

This is an even bigger meme then your "2017 is a bad year for games". Claiming Dark Souls lacked exposure before the PC port when it literally won GOTY awards out the ass and was one of the fastest selling games BN ever published long before a PC version was even thought of. Stop perpetrating your own beliefs as reality. It's YOU who didn't know what Dark Souls was until the PC port, it's YOU who thinks 2017 is a bad year for gaming because you limit yourself to a single platform. That's not even close to the general consensus. Nobody cares about your opinion anymore then any reviewers.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-08-16 at 06:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but i do trust people with similar taste
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I trust the reviews to be their opinion, paid or otherwise. If I like or hate the game, it doesn't matter what their review says. THEIR opinion is irrelevant to my opinion.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    You never had a point to stand on period. 2017 so far is regarded as one of the best years in gaming history by reviewers and gamers alike.
    By who? The reviewers we question? Gamers like you?
    No wall of text is going to make up for the amount of fail that comes with "2017 is a bad year for games". No one is taking you serious in this thread after an award winning statement like that.
    I don't expect people to agree with me, as they often don't. But in the end I'm right, because I have data to back me up. Hollywood said tickets sales are down 5% this year, so I can't wait to hear when they announce game sales are also down. But no, 2017 had like 20 Game Of The Year games.

Please stop with this non sense. Dark Souls was a multi million seller before it ever touched the PC platform. Dark Souls and "Arrow to the Knee" where literally the biggest things in gaming culture in late 2011.

This is an even bigger meme then your "2017 is a bad year for games". Claiming Dark Souls lacked exposure before the PC port when it literally won GOTY awards out the ass and was one of the fastest selling games BN ever published long before a PC version was even thought of. Stop perpetrating your own beliefs as reality. It's YOU who didn't know what Dark Souls was until the PC port, it's YOU who thinks 2017 is a bad year for gaming because you limit yourself to a single platform. That's not even close to the general consensus. Nobody cares about your opinion anymore then any reviewers.
    It has be known that Dark Souls became known once a PC port was made. There was a petition to port it over to PC. Dark Souls Sales for PS3 and Xbox 360 has 2,828,000 units worldwide. Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition for PC has sold 2,884,478 units worldwide. BTW the PC numbers come from SteamSpy, which again isn't 100% accurate like VGchartz. Not every PC port has sales that do just as well as total console sales, but it shows that porting is a good idea. If it were PS4 exclusive, then it would have 1/4 to 1/3 of the sales that it has now. Therefore 1/4 to 1/3 of the exposure. LIKE BLOODBORNE.

It has be known that Dark Souls became known once a PC port was made. There was a petition to port it over to PC.
    There seems to be a narrative disconnect here man.

I'll read their reviews but I usually watch twitch to see first hand and decide.

[SNIP]

Ultimately my point is that your opinion doesn't matter and every game is game of the year, and therefore isn't. Also if you want to see a sequel to Gravity Rush 2, then good sales are what make sequels. Every year people claim that this is best game or that is best game, but it is quickly forgotten. And while there are exceptions to this like Madden Football and Dark Souls, it isn't the rule. Not many games sell like Madden where you can basically get away with recycling content, and adding almost nothing. Not many games are hidden gems like Dark Souls, and a port to PC gave it the exposure it needed.
    I still feel like your opinions on which games are "good" and which are not are based on totally flawed metrics. Seriously? Memes? Yeah that speaks to it's exposure to the world and how many people play it but that's an even MORE flawed metric than sales when determining if a game is good or not because some AWFUL shit gets meme'd. At least to sell incredibly well the game has to be somewhat enjoyable.

I also don't necessarily agree with you on sales = sequels because there are some very niche games that got sequels even though the original wasn't a block buster seller. Nier:Automata comes to mind. I will however agree that sales are a very good metric to determine if a sequel is likely to be made, but that's not the only factor involved.

That said, we're not talking success here, which yes...is determined by sales, we're (or at least I know I was) talking about good games and game quality.

I don't expect people to agree with me, as they often don't. But in the end I'm right, because I have data to back me up.
    Then they don't agree with YOU, they agree with the data. And to that point. Dark Souls was a world wide phenomenon well before it went to PC...that's WHY it went to PC in the first place. And you're using sales and exposure/ availability again as a measure of greatness...which is ridiculous.

That's like saying you don't like steak or think it's good because you can't get it at all the fast food places or that you don't like dogs/cats/pets in general because your apartment complex/ landlord won't let you have them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still feel like your opinions on which games are "good" and which are not are based on totally flawed metrics. Seriously? Memes? Yeah that speaks to it's exposure to the world and how many people play it but that's an even MORE flawed metric than sales when determining if a game is good or not because some AWFUL shit gets meme'd. At least to sell incredibly well the game has to be somewhat enjoyable.
    Yes seriously memes. Cause I've noticed that when I like a game and other people seem to like the same game there's suddenly a butt load of memes about it. Pokemon is the exception cause I can't stand Pokemon games, but it does get meme'd a lot. But it does show you how bad game reviews are when I relay on this as a method to determine a good game.
    I also don't necessarily agree with you on sales = sequels because there are some very niche games that got sequels even though the original wasn't a block buster seller. Nier:Automata comes to mind. I will however agree that sales are a very good metric to determine if a sequel is likely to be made, but that's not the only factor involved.
    I have Nier:Automata and the only reason I picked it up was because the main character is hot. A fun game though is it not. Hence why I stopped playing the game and haven't picked it up in a while. Same goes for Rise of The Tomb Raider. Hot chick but gameplay is rather repetitive. Lots of go collect stuff and boss fights that don't really challenge me. Though the story to Nier:Automata is really nice, but again I'm in it for gameplay.
    That said, we're not talking success here, which yes...is determined by sales, we're (or at least I know I was) talking about good games and game quality.
    There are very few situations where a good game doesn't have good sales. When I mean good game I don't mean Shovel Knight or Sonic Mania, I mean truly epic games like Fallout 4. Look at Undertale which currently has 2.4 million sales and that's just on Steam alone. Undertale is an indie game that has been meme'd a lot, and is on Windows, Mac, Linux, PS4, and for some reason the Vita. That is game of the year, and that has sold far more than majority of the games listed for 2017. And exactly how many reviewers back in 2015 claimed Undertale as game of the year? Not many.

Then they don't agree with YOU, they agree with the data. And to that point. Dark Souls was a world wide phenomenon well before it went to PC...that's WHY it went to PC in the first place. And you're using sales and exposure/ availability again as a measure of greatness...which is ridiculous.
    Unfortunately PC ports aren't done usually cause it's did well on other platforms. A port to PC is like releasing a movie to DVD or Blu-Ray early, cause you're trying to get as much cash from what was mediocre sales. Dark Souls was released to consoles in September of 2011, but it was released on PC August 2012. Meme's and parody's happened after the PC release, which was for $15. That low $15 price is what helped Dark Souls create a name for itself. But it was priced that low cause up to this point Dark Souls wasn't that successful. It wasn't expected to do well on PC. Dark Souls 2 & 3 was priced for $60 and holds that price far longer than Dark Souls 1 did for PC.
    That's like saying you don't like steak or think it's good because you can't get it at all the fast food places or that you don't like dogs/cats/pets in general because your apartment complex/ landlord won't let you have them.
    Yes because people are lazy and complex. If I can't get steak where and how I want it, then I don't like it despite that it's a pretty good steak. When given a choice people will get picky. If you want people to have a fluffy cat then they need a way own said cat. Asking someone to move just to have a cat is too much, just like asking someone to buy an inferior PS4 to play a game is asking too much. I have a PC or Xbox or whatever, and if it is capable of rendering the game then why shouldn't it be ported? It benefits the developers to port games more than it benefits the consumer.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Haha no. Those reviews are severely biased. I'll find a few gameplay review videos and make my own opinion based on those.
    Well excuuuse me, Princess.

You are now breathing manually.

so I can't wait to hear when they announce game sales are also down.
    Total spend, hardware and software sales up YoY.
    https://www.vg247.com/2017/07/21/tek...e-worldwide-1/

You where saying? Software and hardware sales have been up YoY every single month this year and that's not going to change when Nintendo has major releases in most months on top of AC, CoD, BF and the sports games still yet to release.

By who? The reviewers we question? Gamers like you?

I don't expect people to agree with me, as they often don't. But in the end I'm right, because I have data to back me up. Hollywood said tickets sales are down 5% this year, so I can't wait to hear when they announce game sales are also down. But no, 2017 had like 20 Game Of The Year games.
    Are you really admitting that sales are down overall for things (and in irrelevant fields), while claiming that proves your opinion?

That has nothing to do with quality.

Deleted
    Fuck no.

Rarely the same opinion here as them.

Same with the rotten potatoes tomatoes or w/e that site was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I read reviews but I certainly do not take their word as law.
    ^This. I check the reviews and maybe watch some game play but at the end of the day I make my own decision.

Deleted
    I don't trust any reviews. The "company" ones are quite obviously just driven by making money and the "individual" ones by making money and their subjective thoughts.