Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    My only question is this:

Where do these women come from? Are there millions of unemployed game designers who are not being hired by sexists companies? There has to be women applying for these positions, right?

My next question is this:

Should the we be trying equally as hard to get the male:female ration to 1:1 for the position of "Garbage Man"??? Do we need entire jobs and programs to even that field? If you are answering NO, then my third question is why not?

(99% of trash collectors are men, by the way... so there is WAY more sexism going on there than the 79% men at Blizzard)

Lol and many of you thought wow was going downhill before. Get ready for this shit lmao. Maybe this will lead to more character design options, namely the ability to make your character fat with horned rim glasses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, "honey" and such is just a habit that people pick up in some areas. I live down in Florida now and maybe 10% of people I meet just compulsively say "honey", "darlin" or other stuff constantly. Hard to take it seriously, but some people seem to get cranky about it for no reason.

It's a popular thing to be a victim now. You can't be 'cool' in your group, at least out here in LA, if you haven't been victimized by some sexist misogynist pig.

Usually this comes in the form of a guy holding the door open for a girl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schnulzenbarde View Post
    No, it isnt, as it is not about a quota, but about supporting additional education for woman who are willing to learn a job in the industry. It willl take quite some time before the role ideas of the last century are banned from the heads of society.

It took humanity up to the 21st century to question the idea men are more appropriate for IT jobs than woman. And even now the reactionary ideas of the last century try to stay alive and show their ugly fact in form of right wing populism, while they died in the 20th century.
    Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit to nth degree.

Do you have ANY data to support you load of crap?

Tech industries (which include game devs) have a shortage of qualified people. It isn't that Blizzard or anyone else has targeted white males to fill positions, that's just the people that are predominantly interested.

Blizzard's initiative is to target women and minorities prior to their college years to set them on a career path so that they are qualified when they apply. Which is COMPLETELY different from the bullshit lies you are trying to spread about the industry purposely discriminating and excluding women and minorities.

In general a more diverse workforce produces more unique, creative, and innovative ideas (different backgrounds working together... whodda thunk?)

Your SJW crap is not appreciated. Don't try and fabricate issues where there are none.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post

I wouldn't be too worried. Or maybe it's their turn to be at the disadvantage after bullying the rest of us for such a long time
    Sounds like a great way to turn white people who aren't even remotely racist into being racist and fanning the flames even further. It's shit like this that makes me understand why the alt-right is doing what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    Statement like this making people into racist.
    Imagine, you live your life, never saying anything bad about person gender/color, and one day people starting to call you a racist, just because your skin is white.

As for "bullying" other races: every single society is guilty of it, some white people were better at it.
    I'm not generally applying that to "white males", but you cannot honestly deny that large parts of the world are culturally and economically dominated by caucasian peeps, may it be from Europe or North America. We had our turn in history. What did we bring about? Perfecting mass genocide and environmental destruction? Sure. Maybe it's time to step aside... just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SherriMayim View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    ... Oh man that's so freaking tame.

The guys in my guild frequently talk about fist-****ing each other among other things.

When women complain about men saying sexual stuff it's incredibly annoying.

True fact, women talk about disgusting stuff just as much as guys. You want to know one of the things women talk about when they're alone?

Blackhead popping. Yeah. It's talked about. A LOT.
    Seriously, you can't tell the difference between buddies talking among themselves in private and adressing a stranger on the internet? Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I don't see why they can't meet the standards. Have you not seen the engineering classes at top universities?
    I like you Tenn, but come on. Don't be intentionally obtuse. You read well enough to know that it is NOT what he said

10+ Year Old Account

The "tech shortage" is still just a myth. What, you think Google and Apple are falling apart and just can't find people to work there?
    Oh is it a myth? Do you have data to support that claim?

If you have positions to fill, and can't fill them you are typically in a growth period. Hence new jobs...

Not being able to fill them with qualified people just means you aren't growing as fast you could be.

I just want to be clear you're calling John Carmack a liar when he says they can't FIND qualified people and will take anyone regardless of race or gender. He's just holding out for the best white male... is that right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post

Tech industries (which include game devs) have a shortage of qualified people. It isn't that Blizzard or anyone else has targeted white males to fill positions, that's just the people that are predominantly interested.

Blizzard's initiative is to target women and minorities prior to their college years to set them on a career path so that they are qualified when they apply. Which is COMPLETELY different from the bullshit lies you are trying to spread about the industry purposely discriminating and excluding women and minorities.

In general a more diverse workforce produces more unique, creative, and innovative ideas (different backgrounds working together... whodda thunk?)

Your SJW crap is not appreciated. Don't try and fabricate issues where there are none.
    The assumption that a diverse workforce produces more interesting and unique products is a bullcrap theory.

Star Wars is one of the most inventive, if not THE most influential product of human creativity in the past 100 years.

...And that was spearheaded by a plethora of straight white guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    I'm not generally applying that to "white males", but you cannot honestly deny that large parts of the world are culturally and economically dominated by caucasian peeps, may it be from Europe or North America. We had our turn in history. What did we bring about? Perfecting mass genocide and environmental destruction? Sure. Maybe it's time to step aside... just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, you can't tell the difference between buddies talking among themselves in private and adressing a stranger on the internet? Wow...

So you're saying that women are to fragile to hear offensive things?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I don't see how any decent person would be against this. We need equal opportunity for all. About time game devs get on board.
    Equal opportunity is good, forced equality is bad.

It looks like this is the former, since there are no quotas, and they are looking to train women/minorities to be the best they can be, so that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I think it's extremely important to hire women in story and design roles, even if not qualified. That type of diversity should be increased whatever the cost.

I don't think it's important to promote diversity in programming roles.
    "even if not qualified".. no, bullshit. I'm sure everyone would like to see more diversity at their company, but it should not be done at the expense of quality employees. Do you seriously think it's fair that the most qualified person gets denied just because of their sex or their race, because it's the "wrong" one?

Also, why does the job role matter? Someone can either do a job or they can't.

Affirmative action, where you force quotas and the "correct" amount of diversity, is terrible. Equal opportunity where the best candidate is chosen, regardless of their sex/orientation/ethnicity is good.
    Last edited by getupkid55; 2017-08-16 at 07:09 PM.

Yeah... I can get along with the idea that echo-chambers and bad and different opinions are good... but assuming a room of white guys aren't capable of having their own unique thoughts is racist. And assuming some black trans Muslim woman that immigrated over from Africa is going to come in and say "Let me show you the special workflow of my people." is also racist. Basic left pseudoscience meant to back their real intentions of simply wanting to see an end to the evil white man being on top... a thought which is also racist. A more qualified employee, whomever it should be, will also be a larger benefit to a company than someone shoe-horned in on diversity's merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnulzenbarde View Post
    It took humanity up to the 21st century to question the idea men are more appropriate for IT jobs than woman. And even now the reactionary ideas of the last century try to stay alive and show their ugly fact in form of right wing populism, while they died in the 20th century.
    In your mind, but in the actual world: computers (and later programmers) were often female in the 18th, 19th and first part of 20th century.

Not necessarily because they were seen as better suited - but because men were otherwise occupied and the women couldn't do much else.

And the issue isn't whether men or women in general are more suited for IT job, but whether the ones suited for IT job are more likely be men or women. A subtle difference that many miss.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I will call them liars. They've been perpetuating this myth that they just can't find anyone to hire and they'd just hire anyone that can tell a calculator from a pencil if they would just apply and are willing to learn.
    You would be wrong in calling them liars.

And I doubt they said the latter part: the problem is that someone who is lower skilled can be a loss in IT. Needing mentoring, introducing additional bugs, etc.

That's true in any job. Poor employees can always fuck things up.
    The easiness of making mistakes that are costly to find are higher in IT than in many other jobs.

And yes, I've heard so many, "I'm a hiring manager at so-and-so and I'll tell you what, if I could just find someone that knows what a variable is I'd snap them up in a heartbeat!" lines of bullshit that it's pretty much a joke at this point.
    You keep claiming that some people would hire anyone with rudimentary skills; I have not seen any evidence supporting that. (And especially not that any successful ones do that.)

...wat?

The point is that they DON'T actually do that.
    So, do you have you any support for them saying what you claim they say?

The entire joke is that they go around saying it and keep pushing the "tech shortage" nonsense, but their hiring practices are the complete opposite.
    There is a tech shortage because there is a shortage of people with sufficient tech skills; and they act consistent with that. So far you have just been spinning conspiracies.

Or in other words the following is still a valid reply to you (except that it is often white and Asian males):

Last edited by Forogil; 2017-08-16 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriMayim View Post
    The assumption that a diverse workforce produces more interesting and unique products is a bullcrap theory.

Star Wars is one of the most inventive, if not THE most influential product of human creativity in the past 100 years.

...And that was spearheaded by a plethora of straight white guys.
    So in the last 100 years Star Wars is your point of reference for creativity and innovation? Cars, the moon landing, nuclear fusion, smart phones, the internet... nope you go with Star Wars as the culmination of humanity's creative and innovative accomplishments. Isn't the CEO for Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy?... a woman. Doug Chiang (Taiwanese) Creative Director, Design Director, Vice President/Executive Creative Director for Lucasfilm and ILM for what almost 30 years now. The man is almost as influential to the Star Wars universe as Ralph McQuarrie.

Guys I do have to bow out after that gem, there is a whole lot of ignorance, closet racism, blatant racism, and dare I say misogyny being thrown around here, and I'm just not prepared to take another infraction for responding to any of it.

I think I'll just leave it.
    Then leave. Next time bring facts.

The only legitimate shortage in "tech" specifically has been software developers at the PhD level.
    Which just indicates the needed knowledge level.

Oh Wow. They support Woman in the gaming industry? It's almost as if Blizzard's games have Woman main characters or something....

Wait...

They do. *Looks at Azeroth* *Looks at Kerrigan* *Looks at the Diablo girl*

- - - Updated - - -

TDLR: This isn't new info.

What are you asking for "facts" about? It was literally me saying, "These people have said this to me."
    These people being recruiters for Apple, Google, and Occulus? Those were the ones that you claimed were liars for not finding qualified people - and saying they have been spreading this myth that they could hire anyone with rudimentary knowledge - but didn't find anyone.

Sure, but also goes to show that there's not actually this tremendous shortage across the entire field, or other fields. And it doesn't properly convey the fact that at most levels these fields are actually extremely competitive and you're highly likely - at least according to the statistics - to not actually find a job that corresponds to your chosen STEM degree.
    The question isn't about shortage of people with degree - but lack of qualified persons. A degree does not guarantee the necessary skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    So in the last 100 years Star Wars is your point of reference for creativity and innovation? Cars, the moon landing, nuclear fusion, smart phones, the internet... nope you go with Star Wars as the culmination of humanity's creative and innovative accomplishments. Isn't the CEO for Lucasfilm Kathleen Kennedy?... a woman. Doug Chiang (Taiwanese) Creative Director, Design Director, Vice President/Executive Creative Director for Lucasfilm and ILM for what almost 30 years now. The man is almost as influential to the Star Wars universe as Ralph McQuarrie.

Guys I do have to bow out after that gem, there is a whole lot of ignorance, closet racism, blatant racism, and dare I say misogyny being thrown around here, and I'm just not prepared to take another infraction for responding to any of it.
    In context of the discussion, Gaming, which is a form of Entertainment, Movies would be a comparable genre to make a point.

In the previous statement it was that diversity put out more creative output than a lack there of.

Now funny enough, Cars and Nuclear Fusion were mainly developed by White Guys. Funny huh?

Oh man oh man, CEO for Lucasfilm as of current, sure a woman. But creator of Star Wars, George Lucas, White Guy, the art director for Star Wars, Ralph McQuarrie, White Guy.

My point is that a creative output of entertainment or any other creative task, does not hinge on a racial diversity as much as the necessity for a creative mind and hard work.

Thanks for proving my point though that White Guys can be creative on their own though!

Now here's a FUNNY thing about SJW's who have to skew reality to make a point. Doug Chiang, a Minority, must have some grand overarching position at Lucasfilm to prove your point.

HOKAY. Facts time!

You claim that Doug Chiang was as influential as Ralph McQuarrie, has served as...

Creative Director, Design Director, Vice President/Executive Creative Director for Lucasfilm
    Doug Chiang joined ILM as a creative director in 1989.

He has a great resume under his belt, Forrest Gump, The Mask, Jumanji, Terminator 2, oh.. and Star Wars Episode 1.

Basically his job was providing visual effects and animation for a film. Also known as, that HILARIOUS Jar Jar Binks!

During the late 1990s, Chiang served as design director for Lucasfilm on Star Wars Episode I and Star Wars Episode II.[1] - Wikipedia/IMDB

Although I don't see anything with Episode 2 on IMDB. Either way. He left Lucasfilm prior to Episode 3 which came out in 2005, he was gone before that time.

He left in 2000 to found DC Studios - Source

Creative Director? Check.

Design Director? Check.

Vice President? Executive Creative Director? 2013 to now.

It's an impressive resume but as influential as Ralph McQuarrie?

Lets get this straight.

Doug Chiang came in to a completed project with a well detailed universe with backstory and plenty of material to go on.

Ralph McQuarrie created everything that Doug Chiang drew from.

There wasn't an 'X-Wing' Model. There wasn't a 'Darth Vader' costume.

Ralph McQuarrie pulled from descriptions that Lucas gave him and CREATED the visualizations of which they played with.

Now we can go on and on about how art is subjective and is it harder to create something from nothing or is it more difficult to add an independent flair into a well known universe.

That is subjective.

But if you want to even debate that Doug Chiang is within a stone's throw of Ralph McQuarrie in terms of influence in one of the most popular franchises to ever hit the world stage. You're going to have to have to come at me with more than half-truths and skewed facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly you should have bowed out long ago before stepping to anyone with vague knowledge of the Star Wars Universe ... or at least be internet savvy enough to know how to use Google before throwing out easily fact-checked statements.

But then again I've never known the SJW crowd to adhere to fact based reality.