View Poll Results: Anime. What's your opinion on it?

Voters
376. This poll is closed
  • I love it, great story telling in a compelling way.

120 31.91%
  • It's fucking awful give me the old school cartoons

56 14.89%
  • Not my cup of tea but it's alright

30 7.98%
  • I like some of it, but much of it is fucking weird

100 26.60%
  • I now wanna move to Japan

9 2.39%
  • I like old school Anime not New

13 3.46%
  • Other (Comment Below)

48 12.77%
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Used to like it a lot when I was a teenage boy, but today I'm more interested in less fictitious stuff. I prefer shows like GoT and co.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Sinful and wicked, spawn of the devil, curse upon mankind and all heirs to our withering fortune known as earth.
    We should start a gofundme for @Video Games to show you around an otaku convention. It'd be quite the experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We should start a gofundme for @Video Games to show you around an otaku convention. It'd be quite the experience.
    Stay away from me satanspawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Yea but even if you only count that, now imagine something you hate and are probably never going to like? Would that change anything?
    I hate country music, but one song may sound okay when I listen to it at work. Usually people above the mental age of 12 can comprehend there may be outliers in a topic, medium, or category.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    No, you're practically blind if you see no differences. There isn't just an "anime style" that covers every last anime ever.

- - - Updated - - -

There are no words for how uneducated these posts are. I mean, the first even states "I haven't watched any of it"...
    All anime/manga operate with a distinct visual style, much more so than any other genre of cartoon or visual expression. Pokemon might look slightly different to spirited away, but if you examine the designs, silhouettes and the animation itself there are striking similarities, denying them or failing to recognize just how similar they are is burying your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It really doesn't have a certain style though, there are many art styles in anime. There's no way GitS, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, DB/Z/GT/Super etc etc etc etc can be said to have the same art style.
    The point is they look extremely similar. Much more similar than say...Warcraft and league of legends, and they're pretty similar in alot of ways. Much more similar than Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid too. Seriously just look for it.

Anime and manga also has literally had no changes throughout its run, it's been the same since forever and hasn't really evolved beyond using more composited backgrounds.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-08-16 at 10:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Money? For me? Yes please.

It's absolute garbage. I can't stand the animation style or the storytelling or any of it really. It has no value to society whatsoever, not to mention all the degeneracy surrounding it with hentai, etc. Japanese culture used to be beautifully traditional. There was honor, dignity, and respect for their ancestral warrior culture. Now it's just lolis and futas and sex dolls. It wasn't just Nagasaki and Hiroshima that were destroyed in WW2, but also the very heart and soul of Japan. RIP. And don't even get me started on the weeaboos who have no culture of their own so they're appropriating another people's. The fact that you look at this degenerate garbage and want to emulate it and base your identity off it is even more sickening than anime itself.
    Last edited by Wolfman31; 2017-08-16 at 10:26 PM.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    I hate country music, but one song may sound okay when I listen to it at work. Usually people above the mental age of 12 can comprehend there may be outliers in a topic, medium, or category.
    There can't be.. a poop in a jar is a poop in a jar, no matter how artsy you get. I've seen enough anime avatars and other things to know I absolutely hate that drawing style. If there was a good anime "story", yes I might be interested in reading it, but the drawing style is just a huge nope. I don't wanna see it. It's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    All anime/manga operate with a distinct visual style, much more so than any other genre of cartoon or visual expression. Pokemon might look slightly different to spirited away, but if you examine the designs, silhouettes and the animation itself there are striking similarities, denying them or failing to recognize just how similar they are is burying your head in the sand.
    Compare The A-Team, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Game of Thrones side by side. I would argue that those look as different from each other as Mobile Suit Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Sword Art Online do. There's elements of visual style that you could pick out as being similar, but that won't change the fact that overall they look very different from each other.

Now, it is possible to hate all of how Sword Art online, Cowboy Bebop and Mobile Suit Gundam look. It's also possible to hate how Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The A-Team and Game of Thrones look. And to that I see, meh, your loss.

I love most of it but I will agree that some of it is really out there, but the same can be said for anything really. I'd highly recommend series like One Punch Man, Attack on Titan, Death note etc to absolutely anyone - Others maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Compare The A-Team, Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Game of Thrones side by side. I would argue that those look as different from each other as Mobile Suit Gundam, Cowboy Bebop and Sword Art Online do. There's elements of visual style that you could pick out as being similar, but that won't change the fact that overall they look very different from each other.

Now, it is possible to hate all of how Sword Art online, Cowboy Bebop and Mobile Suit Gundam look. It's also possible to hate how Buffy The Vampire Slayer, The A-Team and Game of Thrones look. And to that I see, meh, your loss.
    I'm incredibly confused. You want human actors to look radically different from tv show to tv show?

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i think its very weird when adult straight males watch this weird japan cartoon stuff. I think you have to be some very special kind of person to actually enjoy this medium.

I have only seen the final fantasy movies, and jesus this stuff is so clichee and boring, i think i needed 5 evenings of falling asleep to finally complete one movie.

I think guys who like anime are also those folks that are totally awed by the diablo3 story.

And in most of europe, if u tell your workmates that u are a anime fan, you are offically the pokemon retard at work. If u are not totally braindamaged, and like anime, keep it a hidden pleasure for the sake of your social /work environment.
    This is how this post reads to me.

"I read Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham once and I didn't like it. I can say with certainty that H.P. Lovecraft's The Whisperer in Darkness is shit and adult males that like it are pedophiles."

Even if you would actually dislike The Whisperer in Darkness, the fact that you think having read Green Eggs and Ham makes you qualified to comment on The Whisperer in Darkness is a glaring tell that instantly lets me know that you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is of no value.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm incredibly confused. You want human actors to look radically different from tv show to tv show?
    Read my post again. Human actors DO look radically different from TV show to TV show, because of all kinds of various factors, not the least of which is the type of camera being used. Go watch an episode of Game of Thrones and The A-Team and try and tell me honestly that they don't look distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    i think its very weird when adult straight males watch this weird japan cartoon stuff. I think you have to be some very special kind of person to actually enjoy this medium.

I have only seen the final fantasy movies, and jesus this stuff is so clichee and boring, i think i needed 5 evenings of falling asleep to finally complete one movie.

I think guys who like anime are also those folks that are totally awed by the diablo3 story.

And in most of europe, if u tell your workmates that u are a anime fan, you are offically the pokemon retard at work. If u are not totally braindamaged, and like anime, keep it a hidden pleasure for the sake of your social /work environment.
    Sounds like you were bullied as an adolescent and are eternally trying to fit in. Hey man, it's hip to be square.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    There can't be.. a poop in a jar is a poop in a jar, no matter how artsy you get. I've seen enough anime avatars and other things to know I absolutely hate that drawing style. If there was a good anime "story", yes I might be interested in reading it, but the drawing style is just a huge nope. I don't wanna see it. It's horrible.
    This whole post is so vague and I'm only wasting my time waiting for my beer to get cold. Anime avatars? What the fuck is that? Or are you that ignorant about it that those are the nouns you insert to communicate; I don't get it. You mean characters? I guess by drawing style you mean how characters and environments are created in anime and not manga? Maybe you'd like reading manga where the "poop" isn't so rancid. I'm also curious as to which decades of anime are so hideous? All? 80/90s or post-bubble pop?

Too many questions, man. Sorry.

Your argument seems to be that human characters all look like fucking humans and all move in the way a human would. No shit.

And holy fuck, that last sentence is completely devoid of truth. You might want to look some stuff up.

All Western movies use human actors. They must all look exactly the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I accept there are flaws lol Who would deny there aren't?

What would you like me to refute specifically?

We could start with the apparent fact that Japan only have 5 voice actors. This is a complete joke considering there are more than 100 schools in Japan dedicated to nothing but voice acting. We could also look at American dubs that use the same people even more often than Japan may do, though, if you want?

Erm, thing is about cartoons and all, and stylized art is that humans don't look human necessarily. Anime certainly does not depict human realistically, it's caricature, completely stylized characters with nonsensical anatomy. Once again..comparing live action to stylized cartoons is odd.

And seriously? They have schools to teach..that? I don't speak japanese or anything but I really don't feel there's a wide ..variety of japanese voice performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    This is how this post reads to me.

"I read Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham once and I didn't like it. I can say with certainty that H.P. Lovecraft's The Whisperer in Darkness is shit and adult males that like it are pedophiles."

Even if you would actually dislike The Whisperer in Darkness, the fact that you think having read Green Eggs and Ham makes you qualified to comment on The Whisperer in Darkness is a glaring tell that instantly lets me know that you don't know what you're talking about and your opinion is of no value.

- - - Updated - - -

Read my post again. Human actors DO look radically different from TV show to TV show, because of all kinds of various factors, not the least of which is the type of camera being used. Go watch an episode of Game of Thrones and The A-Team and try and tell me honestly that they don't look distinct.
    Incredibly irrelevant. Sure, any director of any tv show, cartoon or live action will have to adhere to filmmaking principles of camera positioning, lenses, filters, aftereffects etc, it has very little to do with a discussion on drawn art.

There's stylized art and there's more realistic art, which do you think Anime is? Every live action ever depicts human beings as human beings, we don't have live-action anime characters.
    Last edited by Shiny212; 2017-08-16 at 10:42 PM.

I tried once to get into it but I couldn't take a lot of the melodrama or the weird yelling stuff that happens sometimes. It's not my cup of tea while I wish it was because I think it could be cool. I tried Attack on Titans, Knights of Sidonia and Sword Art Online and just couldn't get into the story and couldn't get past the style of over-acting. It was sometimes like watching what I imagine Disney Channel original shows would be like if they were all animated.

I accept there are flaws lol Who would deny there aren't?

What would you like me to refute specifically?

We could start with the apparent fact that Japan only have 5 voice actors. This is a complete joke considering there are more than 100 schools in Japan dedicated to nothing but voice acting. We could also look at American dubs that use the same people even more often than Japan may do, though, if you want?
    The point was, from my perspective, they all sound similar. The actual range of voices they can do is very small.

And 100 schools for voice acting in a country the size of California? That just sounds wildly excessive.

And I can agree that translation industry is lacking. But for all shows, cartoons included.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    This whole post is so vague and I'm only wasting my time waiting for my beer to get cold. Anime avatars? What the fuck is that? Or are you that ignorant about it that those are the nouns you insert to communicate; I don't get it. You mean characters? I guess by drawing style you mean how characters and environments are created in anime and not manga? Maybe you'd like reading manga where the "poop" isn't so rancid. I'm also curious as to which decades of anime are so hideous? All? 80/90s or post-bubble pop?

Too many questions, man. Sorry.
    No I mean the anime drawing style in general is.. infuriating to put it mildy. Why dont people there have noses... Im confused. Real humans have noses... are they supposed to be aliens?

7+ Year Old Account
    Erm, thing is about cartoons and all, and stylized art is that humans don't look human necessarily. Anime certainly does not depict human realistically, it's caricature, completely stylized characters with nonsensical anatomy. Once again..comparing live action to stylized cartoons is odd.

And seriously? They have schools to teach..that? I don't speak japanese or anything but I really don't feel there's a wide ..variety of japanese voice performances.
    Just a question: Do you have seen more than one subtiteled anime that you can say anything about that "small" variety of japanese voice performances?

And the natomy thing: Hey looks the Simpsons look totally like real people or what about Ugly Americans? Looks totally like real existing humans...

Can't say that any Western cartoons outshine the best Anime. I love the fact that Anime can be violent, adult (not sexually) and beautifully drawn all at the same time.