Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Last year I flew for the first time since I was 17 and was very nervous. I was flying from Ontario to Alberta, and both areas were experiencing heavy snow and wind. When I landed in Calgary we hit snow on the runway and skidded a bit, it scared the shit out of me.
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Nah - I'm afraid of crashing

But seriously - I get severely travel sick even on a 30 minute bus trip, so for me it is a rational fear of flying or travelling at all.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I love flying, though sometimes a long flight can be quite exhausting, because I can't sleep on the plane, so I try to connect 3 movies or something to pass the time.

I used to be. All changed when I had nephews and flew with them when they were little. Didn't want them to grow up afraid of flying so I sucked it up and decided to be a good role model. Has worked out so far.

All it really took though was for me to realize that the pilots want to get home safely as well and they will do anything to get themselves home and you home safe as well. Also makes me feel great when I fly delta and 9 times out of 10 my pilot is an ex marine/navy/air force pilot.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    Are You Afraid Of Flying?

How many people here are terrified of flying in any form?

I live in the USA but all my family and ties lives in England so i have to fly each year and it doesnt matter how many times i do it still terrifies me to the extreme! My Stepmom has to give me Xanax (Anti Anxiety Drug) plus beer to even get me on it and i hate every minute of it. I cant relax all the time i think oh no this is it, its gonna crash even with every little bit of turbulence.

Iam not sure why i hate it so much and why it scares me i think its the fact i hate heights and i hate not being in control after all if something bad happens all i can do is hope they know what they are doing in the cock pit.

Unfortunately i have to fly to England again in a few weeks.
    Are you afraid of driving?

Statistically, you are far more likely to die from driving than flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Are you afraid of driving?

Statistically, you are far more likely to die from driving than flying.
    Thing with statistics that frightens me is iam a child of the 80s and it seemed back then there was a plane crash each week plus i always think 'Oh we havent had a plane crash in a while' and then i grab the nearest glass of alcohol!

I honestly feel like iam tempting fate by even doing this thread!!

Inside of a plane? No.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Inside of a plane? No.
    Or even by parachute but i guess that is just flying with style IE falling!!!

No. More likely to die in my car than any plane.

I just started flying this year for the first time and i wasn't scared, Just frustrated with the small seats.

Iam 37 so i wonder if this is a age thing?

Is younger people more likely not to be as scared as older people?

Like i said i grew up at a time when it really did seem like a plane crashed every week! Either by malfunction or a terrorist bomb.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been flying multiple times a year since I was very very very young. It's a very natural (but boring) process to me. I've experienced heavy turbulence, but with the stats on the number of planes that do go down these days there's not really much to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have piloted airplanes before, so no. Flew a Cessna in college while pursuing a degree in aviation flight operations. Long story short, the degree didn't work out and I never got my license, (and started running out of money) but I have flown an airplane. So I'm not afraid to fly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    Or even by parachute but i guess that is just flying with style IE falling!!!
    All flying is controlled falling.

Landing an airplane is literally controlled falling, because you're making sure the airplane doesn't have enough lift, but at a slow enough rate that you don't die when you hit the ground.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Airplanes are fine. Couldn't pay me to ride in a helicopter though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Airplanes are fine. Couldn't pay me to ride in a helicopter though.
    It really does feel like those things fall out of the sky each week!!

Love it. It is very safe and extremely regulated. As long as I've been involved in aviation there's only 2 incidents that have hit close to home. A guy I knew lost an engine upon take off and crashed into some trees. Banged up pretty bad and took some time to recover but all in all he's fine.

The second was a Cessna 152 I previously used to train for my license had a critical engine failure and the 2 pilots in it were able to land in a dirt pit. They both walked away unscratched.

Yeah I am afraid of flying. The reason is because of not only terrorists but also something could break on the plane and make it crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, that's why I'm glad Blizzard pushes flying to the later part of expansions anymore. What if I accidently dismounted while doing a daily? My god....

Seriously though, no, but I've only flown a few times in my life and twice in a helicopter (in the 90s) around Detroit!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    Yes! I don't think even 1% of customers know how airplanes even work. And they will pray to god for miracles when something happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as I feel stable Im fine with flying, if I slide around on a flat wooden seat on every turn then no.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.