The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I thought the small sized group of the army of the undead they found was more glaring just perfect for catching one. And only 1 survives after they kill the white walker leader. Pretty lucky odds

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not usually one to ship people but Tormund better fucking make giant monster babies with Brienne. This has to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stark View Post
    I'm not usually one to ship people but Tormund better fucking make giant monster babies with Brienne. This has to happen.
    After almost dying but being saved, I am not sure what awaits him next... That was the spot to die for some main character/s, probably planning ahead for a bigger battle? Still disappointed in the outcome tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    After almost dying but being saved, I am not sure what awaits him next... That was the spot to die for some main character/s, probably planning ahead for a bigger battle? Still disappointed in the outcome tbh.
    Heresy. I was actually nervous that they might kill Tormund. I want him to live until he's 90 and make plenty of monstrous children with Brienne, or any large woman who will have him. He's too much fun to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatte View Post
    He said "Its not time" which means he has unfinished business
    Are you positive? Cause it looks like he's dead as dead can get lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Heresy. I was actually nervous that they might kill Tormund. I want him to live until he's 90 and make plenty of monstrous children with Brienne, or any large woman who will have him. He's too much fun to die.

Theres nothing i have ever wanted more from a TV show, than this.

Deleted
    Guess they ran out of money for special fx, look at the wildling with the spear lul saved money on some wights

Deleted
    I seem to remember it taking months for Ned and his family to reach King's Landing from Winterfell back in S1. Yet in this episode it takes around a day for Gendry to hit Eastwatch, send out a raven to Dragonstone and fly back beyond the wall to save the day.

It kinda breaks immersion. Doesn't mean it's not a hell of a ride though, because it is. Was a good episode, the build-up, the undead bear upto the fight on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Marweinicus View Post
    I seem to remember it taking months for Ned and his family to reach King's Landing from Winterfell back in S1. Yet in this episode it takes around a day for Gendry to hit Eastwatch, send out a raven to Dragonstone and fly back beyond the wall to save the day.

It kinda breaks immersion. Doesn't mean it's not a hell of a ride though, because it is. Was a good episode, the build-up, the undead bear upto the fight on the lake.
    We don't know how far past the wall they are, they could have been only a few hours past.

The ravens in asoif are bigger and faster than irl faster than carrier pigions iirc, grrm made it that way.

The dragons move fast as fuck, and we have bo idea how long try were actually on the island, all we know is it was atleast a night.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-08-17 at 05:01 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    We don't know how far past the wall they are, they could have been only a few hours past.

The ravens in asoif are bigger and faster than irl faster than carrier pigios iirc, grrm made it that way.

The dragons move fast as fuck, and we have bo idea how long try were actually on the island, all we know is it was atleast a night.
    Yeah I have no issue with Gendry's part, since I don't think they were very far in. But they were atleast one night on that island, so at most 36 hours I'd say. The lake froze again overnight, as it usually does overhere in real life aswell. And I assume it's a little bit colder north of the wall :P

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stark View Post
    nah man its gonna be a brienne, hound and tommound threeway now

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    Oh haha I wasn't aware, never really been into the "vampire" stuff besides TVD :P

I'd of rather had Ghost scenes instead of Nymeria coming back. Poor baby hasn't been seen since.....When Jon was resurrected I think?
    Ghost was with him after that, you saw him plenty last season. Just hasn't show up this year for whatever reason.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Ghost was with him after that, you saw him plenty last season. Just hasn't show up this year for whatever reason.
    Because the budget was either on dragons or direwolves. The choice was kind of obvious.

7+ Year Old Account
    $$$$ is the only reason we havent seen more of ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Phatte View Post
    He said "Its not time" which means he has unfinished business
    It was "there's no time" and then he got swarmed by dead. If they bring him back after that they are jumping a sharknado.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    $$$$ is the only reason we havent seen more of ghost
    Of course there is that he has to add value to the show in some way. Not taking him to Dragonstone makes sense so that is why he has been absent most of the season. The first episode or 2 they could have tossed him in. If nothing else you would think the Starks would like seeing one of the last of their wolves.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Of course there is that he has to add value to the show in some way. Not taking him to Dragonstone makes sense so that is why he has been absent most of the season. The first episode or 2 they could have tossed him in. If nothing else you would think the Starks would like seeing one of the last of their wolves.
    He could have used ghost when they went north of the wall, probably would have died to the bear but you know..better than chilling at winterfell out of sight literally.

Im surprised Jorah and Beric survived

Also lol @ Euron being the big bad for the season. All he did was burn peoples ships in 2 episodes

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post

Also lol @ Euron being the big bad for the season. All he did was burn peoples ships in 2 episodes
    His magic mystery boat's GPS is in the shop for repairs, unfortunately. Parts are backordered.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I mean I agree with your points and all, but you can't attribute that one to poor writing. It's a filmmaking/writing staple.
    Sure you can. Just because it's a trope doesn't mean it's not lazy/convenient writing. Isn't GoT's clame to fame, y'know, being unexpected?

Game of Thrones has become all about writing to the moment. They get an idea for a scene and then write backwards to it, instead of coming up with a situation and developing organically into a satisfying concluion.

So, let me put my money where my mouth his:

Instead of just a few wildlings and the A-Team with a single sled of supplies, they also go north with a couple Night's Watch members including a steward with some caged ravens (just as when Jeor Mormont led them ranging north at the end of Season 1) and a couple Dothraki. They're all on horseback. The Dothraki have never ridden garrons before, or even seen a harsh winter, giving a stronger outsider perspective. Jorah acts as their translator, allowing for some interesting banter between the Dothraki and the Night's Watch, as well as the Wildlings.

During the first day they encounter the bear. They manage to slay it, however in the process it mauls several of their horses, kills a couple redshirts, and wounds Thoros. They continue to range farther to the North with what few horses they have left. Progress is slower now.

Late that afternoon they reach the frozen lake. One of the Dothraki, unaccustomed to the conditions and the sturdier workhorse, ignores Jorah's warning and attempts to ride out over the lake, and both he and his garron break through the ice. With only a few horses left, they decide to send a raven back to Eastwatch requesting a second party to ride out with horses and meet them on their return.

They make camp for the night. In the morning they leave the wounded and the horses and travel over the now frozen lake, deciding that it's too dangerous to cross on horseback and too large to circle around.

On the second day the clouds obscure the sun and it snows hard. They venture even further North, finally finding the scouting party, defeating the White Walker commanding them, and capturing the wight, which they tie up and lash to their sled. I think that I might actually have Benjen appear at this moment, helping them overcome a much more difficult fight against a larger group of wights.

On the third day, as they return, they find that the lake has been covered almost completely in a fine dusting of snow. There is no sign of the men they left on the shore, but then they stumble over something -- wind gusts clear away some of the snow, and they find the men and horses they left behind... dismembered and arranged in a large geometric pattern in the freshly fallen snow.

A hand breaks through the ice beneath them and they realize that they're actually still on the lake -- it's a trap. The frozen corpse of the Dothraki, now a wight, pulls one of them down into the water. They attempt to flee, but the ice begins to crack around them. On the shore, wights dragging massive chains, which had previously been submerged beneath the lake and hidden by snow, tear the ice apart. More wights emerge from the lake, some frozen to the chains, and begin to flex and writhe, shaking the ice from their bodies as they engage the party in battle, driving them back the way they came. More men fall through the ice.

From here, it would be much the same as in the show, with them becoming trapped on a small island in the lake, surrounded on all sides by wights, but instead they're unable to flee because the ice has been shattered by the wights' chains. There's still a delay, as the wights trying to reach them through the lake are moving slowly and emerging mostly frozen, but they're making slow progress, closing in on them. From the island, they fire obsidian arrowheads and flaming arrows at the army on the shore.

Eventually, on the fourth day, the dragons arrive and save them. I think the only thing I would change at this point is have the reinforcements, led by Davos, arrive late to the party and break the line. We learn that he and the reinforcements set out as soon as they got the raven, and sent another raven on to Dragonstone; Dany's dragons are so swift that they arrived before the rangers. Perhaps Benjen tries to distract the Night's King while they escape, and Jon rushes to try and save him. Benjen dies, Jon falls into the water and is rescued instead by Davos.

The army of the dead chases Davos (with Jon) and the reinforcements on horseback into the treeline. Dany flies overhead but at that moment loses sight of them. She tries to stay close, but ends up returning to the Wall with those who escaped on dragonback. Instead of waiting with trepidation because she doesn't know if Jon survived at all, she waits atop the Wall with Drogon, ready for the reinforcements to return with Jon on horseback, possibly with the Army of the Dead following, making it a somewhat more tense moment.

Instead we learn that the Army of the Dead gave up their pursuit and in the end witness Viserion being raised from the lake, and from the dead.

Anyway, that's like a first draft.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2017-08-17 at 03:59 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    His magic mystery boat's GPS is in the shop for repairs, unfortunately. Parts are backordered.
    Ah that explains it. Moving around westeros at record breaking speeds cant be easy on the equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Anyway, that's like a first draft.
    Sure looks good on paper, now wrap it up into a serie format and with the GoT budget. Imagine how much time your "drafted story" will take on screen.
    There is f**** huge difference between writing on paper and showing things on the screen.