Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    When swimmers shower away impurities (and focus on the perianal area) they help reduce the risk of waterborne illnesses, such as diarrhea, swimmer's ear and skin infections. Fecal matter, in particular, contains germs that may be ingested when swimmers swallow contaminated water.

every public pool asks you to shower before you swim.

they wouldnt have to put up the sign if they followed the rules already posted id assume

In every swimming pool i've been (here in Russia) it's a rule to take shower prior going into the water no matter if it's a gym swimming pool or open swimming pool etc. II personally would be very uncomfortable if I saw someone taking his clothes off and jumping into the water.

As i see it the sign was made simply for people of another culture/another country to follow Swiss norms. Don't see a problem here. "To our Jewish guest" was just a failed attempt to be funny/polite.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2017-08-17 at 04:44 AM.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    This right here is what we're talking about. You're being prejudiced against them for simply being jewish. What habits do they have that you're referring to? Not showering? You really think jewish people don't shower?
    Apparently the new Jewish guests were not showering before going into the pool, and putting their kosher food in the freezer at all times of the day, so the signs were put up to prevent that. Guess we're not allowed to refer to them as Jewish people anymore. Should we put special stars of David on all Jews to ensure we make sure they're never treated incorrectly?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

Because it was refering to the influx of new Jewish guests, who happened to have particular habits the Hotel wanted to refer them on.
    And why did it matter that they were Jewish?

If you're expecting all guests to do that, why the hell wouldn't you just say "all guests?"

I mean how about this scenario...

Presented without context on a bus:
    "Attention all incoming black passengers, do not use the seats at the front of the bus, use the seats in the back"

context presented later after shit hits the fan
    "Well we knew we'd be picking up a lot of black passengers, and also planned on visiting an elderly home, and thought that the elderly people would want to sit in the front"

Because apparently a sign saying "Attention passengers: please use the seats in the rear" or "attention passengers: please offer front seats to elderly passengers" was just too damn difficult to print?

It's the exact same situation here. There was no reason for the signs to be specifically levied at Jewish people instead of just at everyone.

Because when you single out a group of people it really looks like you're singling out a group of people.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-08-17 at 04:43 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    At everything? This one incident is "everything"? Please, stop talking. You're fucking embarrassing yourself.
    No, I'm not. People like you who take an overly serious tone to every reference to race are what is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    In every swimming pool i've been (here in Russia) it's a rule to take shower prior going into the water no matter if it's a gym swimming pool or open swimming pool etc. I personally would have been alarmed if I saw someone taking his clothes off and jumping into the water.

As i see it the sign was made simply for people of another culture/another country to follow Swiss norms. Don't see a problem here. "To our Jewish guest" was just a failed attempt to be funny/polite.
    In the US I have never seen someone do this or heard of people showering before entering pool. I shower after obviously to get the chlorine off.

Deleted
    Refer to my above comment. Seriously, how the fuck would they know about their showering habits? Sounds like they're making assumptions. Or you know, being prejudiced.
    Or they were watching their Guests use the fucking pool and noticed the behavior? You know, like a Hotel would?

10+ Year Old Account
    They're specifically referencing jewish people though for some reason. Why? How the fuck do they even know whether or not someone in a pool showered recently? Unless they were rolling around in the fucking dirt outside earlier or hadn't showered for days there's really no way to tell.

Refer to my above comment. Seriously, how the fuck would they know about their showering habits? Sounds like they're making assumptions. Or you know, being prejudiced.

it doesnt matter if you showered that day, you take a shower before you get into a public pool. they provide showers for you for that reason....

Deleted
    "Why blame everyone?" Then you justify blaming everyone that is also jewish. Yeah okay.
    If the Jewish guests are having a hard time performing things not relative to their cultural ideas, then yes, I think it's fair to point them out and tell them their behavior isn't kosher.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't "every reference" It's this one in particular. We're not talking about every other incident. Do people get upset about stupid shit? Sure, but this one seems pretty justified.
    Because Jewish people were singled out for doing things the Jewish people were doing. OH NO. And for the record, I HAVE seen signs in Spain refering for "English tourists" to avoid doing some things that apparently English tourists do. Is that racist? Or is it only racist when Jews are involved?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the Jewish guests are having a hard time performing things not relative to their cultural ideas, then yes, I think it's fair to point them out and tell them their behavior isn't kosher.
    ...and so now you're assuming that the jewish guests were dirty?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Why blame everyone?" Then you justify blaming everyone that is also jewish. Yeah okay.
    It's a hotel, when pool watcher tells manager that certain group of guests (read: Jewish) doesn't follow the rules and refuse to oblige - this kind of signs gets to put on. Usually there are rules for the pool, they should be visible, this sign was put up as a little extra because some people (read: this particular group of Jewish people) can't or don't want to follow rules.

Yes see, how i use context of it begin a hotel and it having a "period where many Jewish guests were staying at the hotel", the sign wasn't aimed at Jewish people, it was aimed at people who break a rule that keeps pool clean and safe who just happen to be Jewish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they were watching their Guests use the fucking pool and noticed the behavior? You know, like a Hotel would?
    If it was "just guests", they'd make the sign refer to all guests. To take time to single out a group of people shows intent.

You know this, you wouldn't do this in real life. But hey, internet right?

no reason to single out the people who are patrons at your establishment, simply saying "to ALL guests" would have sufficed. because I seriously, seriously doubt they're the only ones doing it.

Yea so make the sign say GUESTS, this isn't fucking hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Deleted
    You're still assuming they somehow magically knew it was specifically only jewish people doing this. I fail to see how they could know that. Keep going with the same logical fallacy there though. Maybe eventually someone will fall for it.
    They had a large influx of Jewish guests. Also, they usually have names fucking registered. Would you prefer them to go door to door, finding all the Jewish people who didn't shower and single them out?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bapestar View Post
    Yea so make the sign say GUESTS, this isn't fucking hard.
    Even if it was the Jewish people who were breaking the rules?

10+ Year Old Account
    How do they know they didn't just take one in their room?

Noticed what behavior? Did they follow them into their rooms and notice they didn't shower?
    Just admit that you never been to a pool or know rules of visiting one - you have to take a shower before going into a pool. Period.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by mariovsgoku View Post
    In the US I have never seen someone do this or heard of people showering before entering pool. I shower after obviously to get the chlorine off.
    Yep, exactly my point: different cultures and different written and unwritten norms. Now imagine all daily dirt and sweet you body accumulate add ton of gym workout sweet to it and imagine swimming in the same water with hundreds of people like that (yes, pools should have filtration and cleaning systems to negate).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Just admit that you never been to a pool or know rules of visiting one - you have to take a shower before going into a pool. Period.
    According to a poster above in US it's different.
    When a player quits EVE and goes to WoW, the average IQ in both games increases.

How do they know they didn't just take one in their room?
    Because if they didn't shower beforehand, they didn't shower in their room either. It's called reality.

While I'd agree that the signs are (laughably) anti-semitic in nature.... calling it the "worst case of anti-semitism" just ruins the other side's case as well.

I mean... being asked to take a shower is worse then the Holocaust ? What's in these showers ? Sarin gas and sulfuric acid ?

10+ Year Old Account
    How do they know the guests aren't showering in their rooms? Or that they're even jewish? Did they ask every person that didn't shower?

Saying the sign wasn't aimed at jewish people is well.. can you not read?
    There are certain group of people who breaks the rule of going to shower before going to pool (you have to use pool showers, you can't "shower at your room" for this case), sign tells this group of people to stop breaking the rules instead of banning them from accessing it, what's the problem? Seriously.

Sign isn't aimed at Jewish people, it has nothing to do with them being Jewish, sign is about those who break the rules of swimming pool whop happen to be Jewish, is it hard to understand? It's not a universal rule, it's a fucking warning, probably a desperate one because manager got tired of this problem going on and on again while it shouldn't even be a problem because it's all ruled out

Deleted
    How would they know the name of someone going to their pool? Maybe I'm unaware of how things work at this hotel, but I've never been to one where someone checks your ID before. Even then, you still haven't explained how they would know whether or not they showered before going to the pool.

Your argument that "even if it was jewish people.." fails miserably until you explain how they could know it was ONLY jewish people.
    My argument is quite simple. Jewish people were seen to be breaking the rules, so they put out a sign referring for Jewish people to follow protocols. There was no racist intent behind it, it was simply an observation the Hotel made, by admission of the Staff there.

The issue this presents is that Context is not taken into account, merely the words. The sign was somehow racist because it referred specifically to Jewish people. This is incorrect.