Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Finally jumping onto AST to level and its still my favourite mmo healer by miles, but i kind of miss the Cleric Stance of pre SB XIV. The current 'use it and be dps for like 15 seconds' actually feels more limiting even if its not. Its probably a minority opinion but it just feels like you have less control than when it was just a on/off switch.

- - - Updated - - -

So hey the AST questline in Stormblood introduces Geomancers. Maybe GEO is still on the cards for a future expansion.
    Originally I was skeptical of the Cleric Stance removal, but now having seen and experienced the results...where has this been all along? I mainly play WHM for healing, though, and the fluidity it provides (insert Fluid Aura joke here) makes me wish they had functioned like this the entire time. Yeah, I suppose it can be argued that it makes playing healer easier overall...but then just yesterday I found threads such as this one, along with an OF thread to the effect of "Where have all the healers gone?" (bonus points if they don a cowboy-ish glamour). Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" deal, if anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Originally I was skeptical of the Cleric Stance removal, but now having seen and experienced the results...where has this been all along? I mainly play WHM for healing, though, and the fluidity it provides (insert Fluid Aura joke here) makes me wish they had functioned like this the entire time. Yeah, I suppose it can be argued that it makes playing healer easier overall...but then just yesterday I found threads such as this one, along with an OF thread to the effect of "Where have all the healers gone?" (bonus points if they don a cowboy-ish glamour). Seems like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" deal, if anything.
    For me its just a feeling ever so often of 'not doing as much as you used to'. If im at a point in a run where i have a PLD thats overgeared and taking barely any damage and i have nothing to heal but Cleric Stance is on cooldown i will still dps because its that or stand and do noting and the fight takes longer but i still look at that cooldown countdown and feel like im doing less than i used to before the change. I know its more a psychological thing but it feels like being punished for other peoples shortcomings in a way if that makes sense. When you never had a problem stance dancing before and lose the option because others couldnt do it thats just a bummer every time you want to use it but can't.

It's a hard line to define, at what point does button-mashing for button-mashing's sake overtake skill in playing a job? I feel reducing the amount of button bloat is always good, the more they can do to condense everything down to 9 buttons or less for what you actually need to do, the better.

I think like the OF post said, the implementation of WHM/SCH left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths so that they rerolled to more fun/dominant jobs. The introduction to RDM probably filled a lot of that gap I'd imagine.

Regarding CS - obligatory I win (if you all remember the old discussion points). Gotta get my jabs in!

Healing isn't my shtick so you'll likely never see me pick that mantle up. They just don't have diverse enough DPS abilities to make non-healing gameplay any sort of fun to me, no matter how exciting Holy is to look at (my fav spell in FF, universally). AST is as close to me trying because I've always had a minor hard on for Time Mages, and AST is as close to that as I imagine we'll ever see.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I think like the OF post said, the implementation of WHM/SCH left a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths so that they rerolled to more fun/dominant jobs. The introduction to RDM probably filled a lot of that gap I'd imagine.

Regarding CS - obligatory I win (if you all remember the old discussion points). Gotta get my jabs in!

Healing isn't my shtick so you'll likely never see me pick that mantle up. They just don't have diverse enough DPS abilities to make non-healing gameplay any sort of fun to me, no matter how exciting Holy is to look at (my fav spell in FF, universally). AST is as close to me trying because I've always had a minor hard on for Time Mages, and AST is as close to that as I imagine we'll ever see.
    I think that was moreso a SCH thing than WHM; granted, every WHM player went into SB fully expecting they would be maining another job due to the job action preview and how underwhelming the job appeared to be. SB patch notes hit and it's the SCHs who immediately go "wtf just happened" instead.

Having just recently started dabbling in RDM, I can see why those folks would switch to it; it fills a niche that a lot of people enjoy: A DPS that can help out with healing in a pinch. It harkens back to some of the glory days of WoW elemental shaman (for me, at least), where an ele shaman could toss out heals if things were in a pinch and could help out with res duty (before mass res was a thing). In the case of RDM, we also get to have a bit of a thrill in melee as well. I will probably change some of my melding around so that I can effectively function as either RDM or BLM, depending on group comp/needs.

I'm actually happy SE pulled a "hold my beer and watch this" series of moves with the whole cleric stance + accuracy stuff. My original suggestion (add accuracy to CS) being completely blown out of the water is an instance where I'm happy to have been way off the mark.

The single greatest post I've seen on reddit in a while:
    FWIW I got my daughter into playing. She hit 70 last week. She already has Susano weapon and full Lakshmi right side. She's 12 and playing a healer.
    Now she wants me to install ACT so she can see how bad others are as she thought I was always joking.
    She was doing Susano where neither tank could survive a stormsplitter. How?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You'd think the entire, "Haha, everyone else is so bad!" stuff in the MMO community would be rather blase by now. I guess some people never get enough of it, though!
    That's just human nature, we fend off our own insecurities by lifting ourselves above the inadequacies of others. Been happening since Zog the caveman laughed at Mog the caveman for bringing home a smaller kill than he did.

The single greatest post I've seen on reddit in a while:
    Sounds like a poor attempt at trolling to me.

Yeah. I'm skeptical about such posts since they read very much like those fantastical stories that begin with someone on a bus or a train and end with everyone around them breaking out into a round of applause. As far as Reddit is concerned the way it is set up means that people deliberately go out of their way to try and word stuff or make stuff up in a way that earns them upvotes. It's why I prefer posting here because even if people happen to disagree they're not going to be downvoted for daring to post something that isn't popular opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, the only thing it removes is that awkward question: "did the server get it, that I wanted to disable cleric or did I push both buttons too fast in succession?!"
    IMHO, that is a question a gamer should NEVER have to ask but with SE's crappy coding and the near 1s delay on UI and everything, there is no way around it.

I was skeptical at first, but I also agree that it has been a most welcome and good change.

And that 12 year old daughter's name? Albert Einstein.

You'd think the entire, "Haha, everyone else is so bad!" stuff in the MMO community would be rather blase by now. I guess some people never get enough of it, though!
    I really didn't focus on that part as much as I did the fact that the father/daughter combo play the game, and are successful together despite the age/experience gap. That's why it was a good post, not that other people are bad.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief. I've seen situations like this first hand that I had a hard time grasping, but ended up being true.

I once played WoW with a woman who had a young daughter. I don't remember her precise age, but she would regularly play her mothers account when her mom was at work. Being nice I didn't want to exclude her, and she could do dungeons with the best of them.

I also remember playing BNS with a friend who had 2 young daughters, now they were super young, and granted the class she played was faceroll beyond all belief, but one of the daughters would play and she would stay alive and kill stuff. They were definitely sub 10 y/o.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    That's just human nature, we fend off our own insecurities by lifting ourselves above the inadequacies of others. Been happening since Zog the caveman laughed at Mog the caveman for bringing home a smaller kill than he did.
    While that statement is true, again try to focus on the more positive aspects, and not the negative. It's a 12 year old daughter, adept at gaming, having fun with her father. That's tremendous. Also try to remember that the girl is young, I know when I was young I said/did stupid shit too. Sometimes I think if I had a kid we'd play games and all kinds of stuff like that together. Except I have 0 desire to have kids LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    And that 12 year old daughter's name? Albert Einstein.
    I mean, at the age of 11 I was playing games like Kings Field, Xenogears and other games of that era and beating them without the help of the internet. I'm just an average guy.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-08-17 at 01:02 PM.

While that statement is true, again try to focus on the more positive aspects, and not the negative. It's a 12 year old daughter, adept at gaming, having fun with her father. That's tremendous. Also try to remember that the girl is young, I know when I was young I said/did stupid shit too. Sometimes I think if I had a kid we'd play games and all kinds of stuff like that together. Except I have 0 desire to have kids LOL.
    I was only speaking in the larger sense, especially in tune to the comment that you'd think MMO communities would have lifted themselves above 'lol everyone is bad at this but me lol'. I know I certainly say that to myself often when I see people in POTD underperforming.

And I'm like you, I'm willing to let my friends have kids and interact with them. Then go home and not have to deal with the scutwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah. I'm skeptical about such posts since they read very much like those fantastical stories that begin with someone on a bus or a train and end with everyone around them breaking out into a round of applause. As far as Reddit is concerned the way it is set up means that people deliberately go out of their way to try and word stuff or make stuff up in a way that earns them upvotes. It's why I prefer posting here because even if people happen to disagree they're not going to be downvoted for daring to post something that isn't popular opinion.
    They're often "my 8 year old kid" stories too. This one just bumped up to 12 to seem slightly more credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    They're often "my 8 year old kid" stories too. This one just bumped up to 12 to seem slightly more credible.
    So to be clear, you are implying that you 100% believe the post to be a lie? Man ya'll so dark inside.

I really didn't focus on that part as much as I did the fact that the father/daughter combo play the game, and are successful together despite the age/experience gap. That's why it was a good post, not that other people are bad.
    Right, so you chose one that spends the majority of its post emphasizing how the player base is bad. C'mon, man...

- - - Updated - - -

So to be clear, you are implying that you 100% believe the post to be a lie? Man ya'll so dark inside.
    The fact that the post's intent is "people in this game are horrible. Even my 12 year old knows they suck" isn't coming from a place of good faith and has nothing to do with the age or experience disparity between parent/child playing together. And you can't possibly have thought that wasn't the point of the post. It supports what you frequently claim & you're not remotely that blind.

It doesn't talk about playing with their daughter.
    It doesn't talk about what they've done together.
    It's not talking about getting through the Primals together.

It says "My 12 year old hit 70 last week and in 1 week she has her Primal EX weapons and every Primal EX accessory and knows everyone else sucks. She wants me to install ACT so she knows how bad they suck. Because she didn't believe me when I said how bad they suck."

I'm not saying it's impossible that a 12 year old is playing the game with their parent and doing good. That's certainly possible. But you're acting like it's the greatest post because it's positive in that regard. You know that's not what the post is about. Judging from the way it's written, it's in a thread about how bad players are.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-17 at 02:22 PM.

Quick question:

If you run Omega with a pre-made and have 2 WHMs, is there a limit break penalty? I can't recall how that works.

Nevermind, found the patch notes that detailed it!
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-17 at 03:20 PM.

I'm willing to suspend disbelief. I've seen situations like this first hand that I had a hard time grasping, but ended up being true.

I once played WoW with a woman who had a young daughter. I don't remember her precise age, but she would regularly play her mothers account when her mom was at work. Being nice I didn't want to exclude her, and she could do dungeons with the best of them.

I also remember playing BNS with a friend who had 2 young daughters, now they were super young, and granted the class she played was faceroll beyond all belief, but one of the daughters would play and she would stay alive and kill stuff. They were definitely sub 10 y/o.
    Kids can definitely play games and play them well. I don't doubt that at all. My skepticism set in with that particular comment as soon as they said the kid was wanting to have ACT installed to see how bad people are.

I mean, not that I'm some deity's gift to gaming (otherwise I'd be playing something not an MMO at a pro level), but my first experience with a FF game was with FF4, which came with the SNES my parents got me (bought it used with SMW, FF4 and the Super Scope, which stopped working within 30 mins of having it...RIP). No instruction manual, no one looking over my shoulder to explain what was going on. Just started playing it and figuring things out on the go...oh and nearly shit myself the first time a random encounter out in the world occured, lol. That sound with screen warping into black for a split second freaked me the hell out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Quick question:

If you run Omega with a pre-made and have 2 WHMs, is there a limit break penalty? I can't recall how that works.

Nevermind, found the patch notes that detailed it!
    I *think* you only incur the penalty if you queue in like that with a full 8 people.

Then again, this old post indicates it's any duplicate classes when queueing through DF, and that's the most recent LB change I can recall.

I know for sure there's a penalty if it's a full premade queueing something via PF. Had several Susano EX runs with duplicate jobs where the LB bar would just barely get to LB3 right as the boss was around 10%...which often was just in time to miss a Ukehi window for using it.

Everything on the internet is a lie. Even that statement. And that last one.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -Abraham Lincoln

Personally I believe the story is plausible, but whether it's true or not? Honestly...

For today's episode of TIL:

You can look up your character on XIVDB and it will basically give you your Lodestone profile, but on steroids. XP gained per day on different jobs, total number of mounts/minions you have, achievements, etc. Much easier format to digest than the Lodestone, too.

It even has gearsets...although I'm seeing several of mine missing, but that's likely due to me having not swapped to those jobs recently.

Here's mine, for example. All those mounts/minions I've managed and it's only about 60% of each in the entire game...

Edit: Staggering when you realize xp from 60-70 is over double the amount needed to go from 1-60.