Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Republicans Must Tell Trump to Go – Now

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...go-now-w498063

Forget impeachment. Forget Robert Mueller's investigation. Forget Russia. Well, don't forget them, but put them to the side for a moment. Investigations and impeachments and Senate trials take time, and we don't have time any more. The president has to go now, and it's up to his fellow Republicans to get him to leave.

On Tuesday, the president of the United States said there were good people marching alongside the Ku Klux Klan, neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

We can't have a president who says good people march with Nazis. We just can't. We have so much work to do on race in this country, so many people who need to understand the depth of systemic racism that pervades every aspect of society. We need dialog and understanding, but right now we're in an emergency, and this guy has to go.

It can't just be up to liberals and leftists to make this call anymore. It's not enough for Republicans like Speaker Paul Ryan to issue generic statements denouncing racism. We have a racist president. Every elected official needs to denounce him by name.

But even that doesn't go far enough. It's time, after nearly 30 weeks with him in office stomping on the Constitution and basic human decency, to demand his resignation. Every time we thought there were no more lines for him to cross, he finds a bright red one and leaps over it.

This can't be a partisan issue any more. At some point all but the most extreme Republicans have to be able to recognize a national emergency when they see one. If not now, when? If this president isn't unfit for the office after what he said Tuesday, who would be?

Will it work? Would Trump go? It's tough to predict, but never forget how sensitive Trump is to criticism. With enough pressure from the entirety of the political structure in this country, including a refusal to work with him, he might dig in – but he just might give up and go back to running his real estate empire. Even someone as self-delusional as he is can only face so much pressure to resign before giving in.

Hell, Republicans, you could even come out ahead in the political calculus. Making Trump resign would be a momentary embarrassment for the party, but you'd end up with Mike Pence, a bedrock conservative who will sign your giant tax cuts for the wealthy and not call you names on Twitter. I know you're afraid of your party's primary voters, but sometimes you have to do what's right for the country rather than yourself.

It certainly isn't a difficult moral question. What Donald Trump said in his press conference Tuesday was so awful, so contrary to all notions of basic human decency, that it immediately makes him utterly unfit to be president.

Sure, he's been unfit all along – stupid and cruel and corrupt and craven. But this is different, and this is worse. It's unprecedented in the history of the modern presidency. We've had presidents of both parties whose policies disproportionately hurt people of color. We've have presidents who use dog whistles and political strategies to appeal to white voters' racial resentment.

But even these presidents could speak eloquently against hate and extremism when it reared its head. None of them ever looked at a crowd of racists bearing torches, shouting, "Jews will not replace us," and declared there were good people among them.

A good person shouts back. Immediately. Trump took three days to denounce the most extreme marchers, then one day later undid what little good he had done with his reluctant remarks. He stood at a microphone and praised people who stood with neo-Nazis and the KKK.

There's no question what's right for the country. President Trump must resign as soon as possible. And he will not do so without political pressure from the people in his own party. History will look back at this moment, and it will not judge kindly the people who couldn't muster the decency to do the right thing.

Republicans, if you believe in America, if you believe in the decency of our people, then your path is clear. Tell Trump to resign. Make the call so loud and so universal he cannot ignore it.

And if he clings to power in the face of massive pressure from all sides, then you can impeach his ass.
    Couldn't agree more, Trumps needs to go.

This hill isn't worth dying on, Think of the future of this country. Hell they need to think of their own future at lease. Trump is going to cause damage that will take years to fix if it can be at all.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-08-17 at 07:53 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Even if we can't get rid of him he is facing a primary challenge. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Even if we can't get rid of him he is facing a primary challenge. I guarantee it.
    Ya I firmly believe if Trump somehow finish's this term there is no way in hell he will win a 2nd term. He is burning his bridges with everyone.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya I firmly believe if Trump somehow finish's this term there is no way in hell he will win a 2nd term. He is burning his bridges with everyone.
    Maybe the mighty Russia will "HACK the election" again to get him reelected.

They keep saying to wait until his support among Republicans drops to the 30s. It won't happen, they'll just bunker down and the moderates will leave the party, inflating his support among the rump GOP further. From a political point of view it doesn't even really make sense. If they take a stand now they might still be able to salvage the party, a moral stand could win back some of the centre-ground that third way pushed them out of. Doing nothing ensures the party goes down with Trump's Presidency.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...go-now-w498063

Couldn't agree more, Trumps needs to go.

This hill isn't worth dying on, Think of the future of this country. Hell they need to think of their own future at lease. Trump is going to cause damage that will take years to fix if it can be at all.
    Umm, Trump going away isn't going to change a thing for the GOP.

They have been running on a white supremacist platform for the longest time before Trump came along anyway.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Umm, Trump going away isn't going to change a thing for the GOP.

They have been running on a white supremacist platform for the longest time before Trump came along anyway.
    Yeah, but at least they had the decency to just dog whistle instead of being blatantly open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    They keep saying to wait until his support among Republicans drops to the 30s. It won't happen, they'll just bunker down and the moderates will leave the party, inflating his support among the rump GOP further. From a political point of view it doesn't even really make sense. If they take a stand now they might still be able to salvage the party, a moral stand could win back some of the centre-ground that third way pushed them out of. Doing nothing ensures the party goes down with Trump's Presidency.
    It's already happened. The number to look at isn't the republican support number. It's the number of people identifying as Republicans.

Gallup has us.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

Trump does these things because liberal tears give him strength.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellboi View Post
    Trump does these things because liberal tears give him strength.
    As it turns out, you can't be an effective administrator and a troll at the same time. Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    They keep saying to wait until his support among Republicans drops to the 30s.
    I'm not sure you meant to write that out. By the time his support with Republicans is in the 30s, his total approval will be in the single digits. As a reminder, this is Nixon:

Wanna give that a second try?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Yeah, but at least they had the decency to just dog whistle instead of being blatantly open to it.
    I don't know about decency part. Personally I find people who dog whistle and then deflect if questioned, alot more of spineless cowards than those who just admit their stance.
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm not sure you meant to write that out. By the time his support with Republicans is in the 30s, his total approval will be in the single digits. As a reminder, this is Nixon:

[IMG]http://content.gallup.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/sg-1ey22v0wixrrifrcnpq.gif[IMG]

Wanna give that a second try?
    It's something I remember coming across from some "pundits" a while back and it stuck with me because of how ridiculous it was. The larger point of the post you quoted is that waiting for the base to turn is a bad idea, even 50% wouldn't justify it.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2017-08-17 at 09:20 PM.

Wish bane quotes didn't work so well so often but it fits this topic when talking about the republicans control over trump

Trump:"Do you feel in charge?"
    Republican party: "I paid you a small fortune..."
    Trump :"and this gives you power over me?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Wish bane quotes didn't work so well so often but it fits this topic when talking about the republicans control over trump

Oh look, thinking movie references are a good litmus test for how things happen in real life. Go figure.

Trump's position is entirely contingent on whether or not the Republican party deems him fit for that office. If they say nay, all it takes is two cabinet members and McConnell to oust him as incompetent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Oh look, thinking movie references are a good litmus test for how things happen in real life. Go figure.

Trump's position is entirely contingent on whether or not the Republican party deems him fit for that office. If they say nay, all it takes is two cabinet members and McConnell to oust him as incompetent.
    Funny how that isn't happening isnt it?

He would stand a decent shot as running as a independent granting I admit I have no idea how that would or could work at this point.

Political question to the Americans here. Can a sitting president declare for another party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how that isn't happening isnt it?

He would stand a decent shot as running as a independent granting I admit I have no idea how that would or could work at this point.

Political question to the Americans here. Can a sitting president declare for another party?
    Yes
    The political party system is not a constitutional or legal issue. They are separate entities.

Trump is uncontrollable, but here's the best part.

He's barely in charge. He's learning the hard way that the courts and Congress do not bow to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Trump is uncontrollable, but here's the best part.

He's barely in charge. He's learning the hard way that the courts and Congress do not bow to him.
    Hes learned it how exactly was the newest travel ban repealed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Divided Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Murica, Inc.
    Yep, Repub Party support is going "lower", yet 98-99% of them still support his disastrous hard-right policies, like they did Trumpcare three times in a row that was pushed hard by McConnell and Ryan, et al. One attempt only missed by a single vote 51-49 because 50-50 would have had Pence voting for it and breaking the tie.

We can go down the list of his other policies/issues supported by the GOP too.

If some of the comedians here think getting a loopy, fanatic, born-again Neo-Con like Pence will be any better...I have news for you. Trump is just the lightning rod at the moment.