View Poll Results: This sentence for sexual assault is

Voters
77. This poll is closed
  • Appropriate. Hopefully the criminals learn their lesson.

35 45.45%
  • Not severe enough. This is a serious crime that will affect the victim for the rest of her life.

34 44.16%
  • Too severe

8 10.39%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Wow, so they're getting to be hit like pro-wrestlers for raping? Oh, sure, they're also going to jail, but it won't deter them.

I got hit hard by singapore canes / kendo stick during my short stint in the wrestling indies. You get used to it, and it didn't deter me from anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    It's not pointless, it serves as a deterrent and to humiliate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is it ridiculous?
    If you were gangraped, would you be ok with the guys just getting caned for it with no further punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    If you were gangraped, would you be ok with the guys just getting caned for it with no further punishment?
    Did you read the OP?
    Apparently not.
    Why do you post about a topic that you know nothing about and don't care enough about to read even just the opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by thesib View Post
    No, they aren't just getting caned though. If that happened to me I'd want them dead though.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-08-17 at 08:53 PM.

Would be much better if they were jailed 5-10 years in Singapore. The best punishment for humans is fucking their lives and that's achieved by jailing them.

Instead of hitting them with cane, they should pegged them hard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Would be much better if they were jailed 5-10 years in Singapore. The best punishment for humans is fucking their lives and that's achieved by jailing them.
    I knew a lot of people that loved prison life, so I'm quite sure it is not best punishment for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    The canning is stupid and pointless, it does nothing and goes nowhere toward reforming them. Their sentence was too light.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The sentence is entirely appropriate.
    I would argue it's far too light.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    I knew a lot of people that loved prison life, so I'm quite sure it is not best punishment for everyone.
    Maybe in Scandinavia and other finer parts of Europe, not in the rest of the world tho.

They are.

"At the end of the four-day trial, high court judge Hoo Sheau Peng lambasted their “reprehensible” conduct and sentenced them to jail terms of between five and a half and six and a half years."

Caning is additional on top of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe in Scandinavia and other finer parts of Europe, not in the rest of the world tho.
    Look at the crime rate in singapore vs other countries like the U.S. and U.K.

So they get lashes before heading off to prison? What's the problem here? The article never stated how many the men will receive so it's not easy to state if it's fair or not? 20 to 30 should be ok since that will make them feel vulnerable like the woman did when they did that to her. Maybe a couple of more for the guy that left the door open so the other men could partake.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-08-18 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Look at the crime rate in singapore vs other countries like the U.S. and U.K.
    Don't forget Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by McTroll View Post
    Wow, so they're getting to be hit like pro-wrestlers for raping? Oh, sure, they're also going to jail, but it won't deter them.

I got hit hard by singapore canes / kendo stick during my short stint in the wrestling indies. You get used to it, and it didn't deter me from anything.
    How many lashes did you receive in a row? Saying it doesn't hurt at all is complete bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    Yeah I get that you're not saying it's right but I don't buy into any justification for it and I guess I never will.

(...)

Caning is a perfect example, it was introduced to these countries and used during colonial rule specifically because it's a severe form of punishment that was originally reserved for teaching animals and slaves who was in charge and that the person being flogged was little more than a subhuman beast. It's repulsive.

Whatever reasons there may be for hanging on to it, and I'm sure there are some, misguided though they may be, it doesn't change the fact that it's a disgusting and barbaric practice that should be resigned to the dark days of the past along with all other forms of torture that have already been long ago by most countries.
    So maybe we should find a way of shaming perpetrators that is not as barbarous. Because it is clear that the point is shaming - both in the colonial context you described and the present case, where 5-8 lashes are really a demonstration.

Caning just seems fucking ridiculous to me.

You know I bet if you offered prisoners the choice between serving out their sentences or substituting them for caning at a rate of 50 lashes per year, the prisons would quickly empty...

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    A few strokes for raping a sleeping woman is ridiculous. I disagree with physical punishment, but they should go to jail for a few years.
    At the end of the four-day trial, high court judge Hoo Sheau Peng lambasted their “reprehensible” conduct and sentenced them to jail terms of between five and a half and six and a half years.
    I mean it seems light to me, but so do sentences in Western countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    So maybe we should find a way of shaming perpetrators that is not as barbarous.Because it is clear that the point is shaming - both in the colonial context you described and the present case, where 5-8 lashes are really a demonstration.
    I think the shaming aspect is redundant, that's part of the prosecution's job and part of the judge's job as they pass sentence. If public shaming is necessary there are options that don't degrade people to subhumans. A newspaper article after the trial is concluded fulfills that exact function.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtcrime View Post
    I think the shaming aspect is redundant, that's part of the prosecution's job and part of the judge's job as they pass sentence. If public shaming is necessary there are options that don't degrade people to subhumans. A newspaper article after the trial is concluded fulfills that exact function.
    Not when social media is inundated with victim blaming and/or support for the offender(s). Remember Steubenville, for example?

You can think so but they are.
    They're not. Reason being, the criminal usually thinks he can get away with his crime, thus the punishment won't affect him. It's part of the process of internally preparing the crime.

Having said that, the sentencing is in line with the legislation over there, so it's absolutely appropriate.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i would go with one year in prison, and 500 lashes every week that they're in prison.

i believe lashings are a good punishment that should be used here in the states.
    I haven't looked into it at all, but I would expect that a week is nowhere near enough time for those wounds to heal, assuming a person even survives 500 lashes to begin with. Which is to say, this would probably kill all your prisoners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?