Does WoW benefit from higher CPU and RAM speeds?

I currently run my CPU (6700k) at 4.5Ghz and 16GB DDR4 at 2133Mhz. My GPU is a 1080 Ti, but it seems to get bottlenecked by the CPU in certain zones (Suramar mostly). Will a higher CPU core clock and faster (lets say 3000-3200Mhz) RAM improve performance on this CPU heavy game? If so, whats the gain in percentage?

CPU core clock, roughly linear

Not sure if the RAM helps but it does for many games, 2133c15 ddr4 is very slow and 3000c15 is a good baseline with some games and programs getting large benefits up to far higher speeds. A good amount of games get ~+10% FPS going from 2133c15 to 3000c15 for reference.

Most cities and Suramar will do that to any cpu regardless of its clock speed.
    Sure they will but faster is faster. When stress increases the framerate drops, a 50% faster CPU still has 50% more FPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most cities and Suramar will do that to any cpu regardless of its clock speed.

I use a Ryzen 1600 at 3.6ghz, a 1070, and 2400 DDR4, and get 90-130fps at 1440p in most parts of the game but go down to 40-50 sometimes in Dal and Suramar.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

15+ Year Old Account
    Ram speeds dont help much in wow on the Intel Skylake platform, you could up 2133 to 2400 pretty easily, which motherboard do you have?

But yeah, Suramar is hard on all cpus, I dont think your going to get much more out of that 6700k, 4.5-4.6 is about as good as they get unless you hit the silicone lottery.

I dont think your going to get much more out of that 6700k, 4.5-4.6 is about as good as they get unless you hit the silicone lottery.
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/s...th-statistics/

Sample Size 142
    Average OC 4.68
    Average Vcore 1.38
    http://cdn.overclock.net/f/f4/f4237102_Untitled.png

similar testing from siliconlottery.com, can hit 4.7 on a normal 6700k and 5.0 on a normal 7700k if you cool well and push voltages; bit lower if not. Luck is usually within +-100mhz, rarely more than 200 so tighter than some previous generations. Fighting a bit to go from 4.5 to 4.7 for +4.4% perf isn't in everybodies interest, though.
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2017-08-18 at 12:27 AM.

WoW benefits from better optimization and hardware utilization, a thing that Blizzard makes little progress upon from one expansion to the next. Sure you can try to brute force higher framerates by throwing more and more hardware and processing power at it, but it is a crude solution. Bleeding edge processors that choke in WoW raids would obliterate most other games, many of which look significantly better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    I currently run my CPU (6700k) at 4.5Ghz and 16GB DDR4 at 2133Mhz. My GPU is a 1080 Ti, but it seems to get bottlenecked by the CPU in certain zones (Suramar mostly). Will a higher CPU core clock and faster (lets say 3000-3200Mhz) RAM improve performance on this CPU heavy game? If so, whats the gain in percentage?
    Yes and no.

You aren't going to get any meaningful boost out of your CPU, simply because it won't be able to. RAM will give marginal benefits, but you may not even get it to 3000 in the first place anyway. So, effectively, no on both counts.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Short answer is for games on an Intel CPU with a graphics card, No the ram speed makes virtually no difference. The new AMD CPUs are more sensitive to memory speed for a number of reasons.

However memory speed tends to really only affect benchmarks and certain types of applications.

If you're using the GPU built into a CPU, there is some difference at low resolutions and settings, but basically you're better off buying a graphics card than expensive memory.

These seem to be reasonably good guides to the effects of memory on performance for the two platforms.

https://www.techspot.com/article/117...nce/page4.html
    http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-mem...en-cpus_192259

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    Short answer is for games on an Intel CPU with a graphics card, No the ram speed makes virtually no difference.

https://www.techspot.com/article/117...nce/page3.html
    this very link kind of disproves that though

some gains there are worth having a faster memory at least as far as Im concerned (not 4000, but certainly at least 3000+)

dunno if WoW is one of them though

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    this very link kind of disproves that though

some gains there are worth having a faster memory at least as far as Im concerned (not 4000, but certainly at least 3000+)

dunno if WoW is one of them though
    From the next page, which is the one I probably should have linked to. The gains you're referring to are for a SLI 980ti set up.

As you can see a single GTX 980 Ti is fully tapped even with DDR4-2133 memory. The ultra-quality settings paired with HairWorks are too much for this GPU configuration to take advantage of the CPU processor power provided by all that additional bandwidth.
    Gaming aside, we saw gains in a number of applications, most notably HandBrake and Photoshop CC. The HandBrake performance was remarkable with a massive leap in performance every step of the way. For example, going from DDR4-3600 to 4000, a 11% jump in frequency netted us 10% more performance.
    IF you are running an SLI top of the line GPU set up you'll see some increase, but below that... Not so much.

well 1x 1080Ti = SLI 980Ti more or less

and the OP has a 1080Ti ..