Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Playing shooter video games damages the brain, study suggests

Playing “shooter” video games weakens the brains of young people and puts them at greater risk of dementia in later life, new research suggests.

A trial in Canada found that those who spent a lot of time playing games such as Call of Duty had less grey matter in a crucial part of the brain.

Scientists behind the research have cautioned doctors against recommending video games as a means of boosting older people’s cognitive function, warning the activity may be harming their ability to retain memories.

Previous research has shown that people with depleted amounts of white matter in their hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for orientation and for recalling past experience, face a higher risk of neurological illnesses including Alzheimer’s, depression and schizophrenia.

Video games have been shown to benefit certain cognitive systems related to visual attention and short-term memory, but were suspected to damage the hippocampus.

Researchers at the University of Montreal scanned the brains of habitual players of action video games and compared them to non-players, finding the gamers had less grey matter.

"If action video games lead to decreases in grey matter in the hippocampus, caution should be exerted when encouraging their use by children, young adults and older adults to promote cognitive skills such as visual short-term memory and visual attention," the scientists wrote

Gaming has been shown to stimulate another part of the brain called the caudate nucleus, more than the hippocampus.

The region acts as a form of “autopilot” and also regulates humans’ understanding of reward.

The scientists said that the more the caudate nucleus is used, the less use is made of the hippocampus, causing it to lose cells.

They recruited 51 men and 46 women and asked them to play a variety of popular shooter games like Call of Duty, Killzone and Borderlands 2, as well as so-called 3D games such as Super Mario, for a total of 90 hours.

Ninety hours of playing shooter games tended to lead to hippocampus atrophy, however playing for the same duration on 3D challenges, which rely more on spatial orientation instinctive responses, increased grey matter within the hippocampal memory system.

The researchers said that those players who tended to orientate themselves in video games using landmarks rather than remembering directions were likely to benefit from playing, however these were in the minority.

British scientists have cautioned against drawing firm conclusions from the study, highlighting the small number of participants.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Whew. I barely play games with shooting so I should be fine. How about you?
    Last edited by Tennis; 2017-08-18 at 02:17 AM.

Deleted
    You can get brain damage in other ways. No reason to believe you should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's... not what the study says.

This is analogous to skipping leg day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didnt we have this thread already some time ago?

Tennisbait, please at least try to read the crap you post.

So it strengthens one part, and if you do nothing else your other parts will be weaker than that part. K.

Man the crusade against video games is and has always been dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    "British scientists have cautioned against drawing firm conclusions from the study, highlighting the small number of participants. "

Ended the thread in the first post.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

but but, its a tennisace troll thread, why would it lie?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    "British scientists have cautioned against drawing firm conclusions from the study, highlighting the small number of participants. "

Ended the thread in the first post.
    Especially considering the article totally misrepresent the study.

It actually says that shooters exercise the rapid response and reflex part of your brain, while not exercising the long term planning part.

As I said, its analogous to only exercising your arms, while skipping your legs then saying gyms are bad for your muscles.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    97 people. only played 90hrs and the 90 hours wasn't even all on the shooters..

Thats like.. 2 weeks of gaming for most people. Study sounds like bogus shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    Tennisbait, please at least try to read the crap you post.
    I posted an article, bolded some important parts and kept the same title for accuracy.

I posit that reading stupid studies damages the brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Seems more like people that play shooter games are less intellectually active and therefore are more likely to have more gray matter.

Sounds like a comeback for 10 year old boys who have slept with your mother

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace
    I barely games with shooting so I should be fine.
    The missing verb suggests he may be mistaken.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    reading this forum damages the brain

source: me, brain damaged person

Limited study with small number of participants and short duration suggests that certain types of activities may make greater use of certain parts of the brain over others.

SHOCKER.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    How does parroting bullshit affect one's brain?

In addition to:

British scientists have cautioned against drawing firm conclusions from the study, highlighting the small number of participants.
    There's also a big gulf between studies that track the topography of the brain and actual incidence of developmental disorders etc.

But I'm surprised nobody's taken a swipe at CoD players yet...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Close this, we already had a thread on this bogus "study".