Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by halloaa View Post
    What the feminist position on the burka? Is protecting Islam more important than protecting women?
    The irony is there is no justification for the burqa in Islam more than there is for chasity belts in Christianity. Hence why it's rarely seen outside of extreme interpretations of Islam
    Last edited by Khaza-R; 2017-08-18 at 12:59 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    It's a woman's right to choose to wear a burka until she chooses to wear a burka.

It's stupid to get angry at women wearing burkas...so lets get angry at a woman wearing a burka.

This woman is just doing this for attention and to get people mad...so lets get mad and give her attention.

That sums the entire thing up nicely.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

What the feminist position on the burka? Is protecting Islam more important than protecting women?
    Gender equality and freedom of belief are not mutually exclusive ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post

This woman is just doing this for attention and to get people mad...so lets get mad and give her attention.
    It worked in US, why not try it all around the world? Sure it's ending up in segregation, but who cares as far as we laugh along the way to our doom, amiright?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    That video is very chilling... The more and more I learn about this woman the more shocked I am that she stills gets to be in parliament. I've even learnt that she committed election fraud and subsequently was jailed for 11 days, what a horrendous creature.
    Only jailed for 11 days for committing election fraud? Gheeze. That should automatically disqualify her from ever running for public office.

I love how she took off the headpiece in such a flaunting and sassy manner, as if she expected to be celebrating for doing such a "daring" stunt. Total drama queen.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    it suits her kinda, maybe she will know her place wearing it more often

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    This kind of massive reaction is why it's so hard for women to succeed in politics. People just don't want to see a woman think for herself like this.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some extra context - the guy chewing her out is also from a right wing party (our current ruling party). Different shades of conservatism butting heads!

Well, If you wanna be technical, the burka in theory protects women in the sense that it prevents men gaining predatory interest in women. So, when it comes to extreme feminism, those who believe that even a lustful look from a man is considered rape, the burka is something they would love.

But, I bet that feminist want to protect women's right to chose, so if the women wanted to cover up entirely or just her hair is entirely up to her.

If you consent to wear it, it is what ever. If you are forced to wear it, it is bad. The clothing is not inherently evil, but the forced nature of it in certain countries and cultures is.

I don't get why anyone would want to wear it personally, but if they choose to by their own free will, more power to them.
    Last edited by Moralgy; 2017-08-18 at 01:40 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just funny to see this kind of reaction when a woman speaks her mind in parliament. I guess they're only there to be seen and not heard.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just funny to see this kind of reaction when a woman speaks her mind in parliament. I guess they're only there to be seen and not heard.
    Because Penny Wong, Julia Gillard and Julie Bishop never get/got to talk at all.

Spamming are we?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Only loonies would wear something like that out of free will. Oh wait.
    Like your mom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Criticized for wearing a burqa? How racist!!
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    I'm glad the attorney general called her out on her elaborate stunt, she is a real loony... Is this woman popular in Australia?
    She's been a public joke for like 25 years IIRC.

She used to be upset about Asian immigration, in the last few years she's updated it to Muslims.

- - - Updated - - -

Same as the feminist position on anything. It depends who you ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    What wrong with what she did exactly?
    Nothing wrong in what her intentions were - just a lot wrong with how she went about it.

That's pretty much how she works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The irony is there is no justification for the burqa in Islam more than there is for chasity belts in Christianity.
    Exactly - here is a little chart to help out :

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Apparently she was excoriated for it by George Brandis, the Leader of the Senate.

He's the most senior Senator of our right wing conservative party. He got a standing ovation for it from the opposition.

“Senator Hanson, no, we will not be banning the burqa,” a clearly emotional Senator Brandis said.
    “I am not going to pretend to ignore the stunt that you have tried to pull today by arriving in the Chamber dressed in a burqa when we all know that you are not an adherent of the Islamic faith.
    “I would caution and counsel you with respect to be very, very careful of the offence you may do to the religious sensibilities of other Australians.”
    “We have about 500,000 Australians in this country of the Islamic faith and the vast majority of them are law abiding good Australians.
    “Senator Hanson, for the last four years, I have had responsibility pre-eminently among the ministers subject to the Prime Minister for national security policy.
    And I can tell you, Senator Hanson, that it has been the advice of each Director-General of security with whom I have worked and each Commissioner of the Australian Federal Police with whom I have worked that it is vital for their intelligence and law enforcement work that they work cooperatively with the Muslim community and to ridicule that community, to drive it into a corner, to mock its religious garments is an appalling thing to do and I would ask you to reflect on that.”
    The speech received a standing ovation from opposition members of the parliament.
    https://thewest.com.au/news/australi...-ng-b88571556z
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Reported to the mods.
    Same to you for religion bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.