15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Who do you think is the best actor on the show?
    That's actually pretty tough. Lena Heady is really good, probably my favorite of the living characters. She gives Cersei a lot of dimension and manages to even make her sympathetic at times despite being so hateable. And she's gone through a lot of different emotional states over the years.

Alfie Allen has done an incredible job with Theon/Reek, and I feel like he's maybe a bit underrated. They haven't given him much screen time at all this season.

Peter Dinklage is excellent, even if Tyrion has felt a bit one-dimensional in the last couple seasons. He did great during the trial.

A lot of the secondary cast is also excellent. Rory McCann, John Bradley-West, and Jerome Flynn play those characters so perfectly.

Pretty much everyone else is at least solid. Sophie Turner and Isaac Hempstead-Wright can be a bit iffy at times, now that they're playing "adults." They're not always convincing. I feel like Maisie Willaims has been a bit weak the last couple seasons, but that's more a matter of the material than her performance, I think.

2 things. Anyone watch viserion die and when he was falling the closeup of Jon's face that last frame looks like he did a warg of some form, rewatch it 3 times...then go frame by frame and realize it's a fucking piece of snow making the eye you can see white lol.

I just want to say after watching this a second time, Screw Benjen for his "not enough time" pointless suicide. Like seriously, did he really save ANY time by holding them off for what seemed like...no time? If they COULD catch them, they could have. I haven't been part of the "wow this writing sucks now" crowd because I've been enjoying it to enjoy it but that was REALLY stupid to me. He could have given huge insight into all this shit if he had just...gotten on the freaking horse...though maybe the "no time" thing meant "well I can't cross the wall so instead of dicking with all that I'll just stay here and hit a few zombies with my fire mace and die...die"

That people are heavily invested in this show doesn't mean that they can't criticize where it's warranted. The show's pacing went from somewhere around 2 seasons per book, give or take, (still leaving a good amount of stuff out for the sake of television) and has greatly accelerated since then. Pacing suffers, continued character development suffers simply because of less screen time, etc, and there are just questionable events happening with more frequency that people are just supposed to buy into via suspension of disbelief.

There's a myriad of reasons for all these things to be occurring, certainly budget strains due to actor demands are a huge factor. The writers not having extremely detailed prior work to go off of at this point is another. Excuses aside, it's still pretty clear that the show changed notably starting with this season, and not for the better. And how this show ends is what most people will remember it for. When people talk about LOST, it's rarely about how riveting S1 was, it's about how badly it went off the rails later.

Still haven't watched S6, though at this point I may as well have. Sunday night viewings are a thing here, so that's what will continue

Regarding good acting, I think Lena Headley and Rory McCann rule the roost here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    It's possible to criticize something without completely hating it. It's possible to have a nuanced and multi-faceted opinion. I recognize the show's merits and its flaws, and one doesn't erase the other.

It's not a zero sum game.

I watch the show for its production design, direction, cinematography, score, and (most of) its cast. I watch it because I like the setting and it's cool to watch dragons breathe fire on zombies.

I criticize the lazy writing because it's disappointing to see what was once a remarkably faithful adaptation with complex, layered, characters and unexpected genre-defying moments turn into, essentially, everything that the original novels set out to be the antithesis of. I criticize because every other aspect of the show is executed at such a high level.
    It hasn't been a faithful adaptation since the second season.

The first season was the first book by rote, since then we've been diverging.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    I would say that the third and fourth seasons were overall very faithful. The show didn't really start going off the rails until they got to A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post

The first season was the first book by rote, since then we've been diverging.
    If you forget about all the missing flashbacks/dreams/etc. along with scenes featuring no book POV characters among other things.

If you think the book is going to follow the same plot as the show, I can only assume you've never actually read the books (and are truly depriving yourself if that's indeed the case), because half the characters in the show aren't even alive in the books, and half the characters in the books never even existed in the show.

Your mouth to God's ear. I want GRRM to write the future books HIS way and ignore what the TV people did.

The TV people use a lot of comic book type stuff which is fine but it's not something GRRM would write and not why many love "A Song of Ice and Fire".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If "You'll never walk again... but you will fly" doesn't lead to Bran worging into the ice dragon I will be disappoint

15+ Year Old Account
    If "You'll never walk again... but you will fly" doesn't lead to Bran worging into the ice dragon I will be disappoint
    He did fly tho back into time!

Also big ups for Tormund what he said about Mance being too proud to bend the knee coz if he had they would have had more freefolk to help fight right now.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2017-08-18 at 09:07 AM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

Quote Originally Posted by Vestig3 View Post
    He did fly tho back into time!

Also big ups for Tormund what he said about Mance being too proud to bend the knee coz if he had they would have had more freefolk to help fight right now.
    Your avatar is fine if you only post in this thread, but if not you should change it until the official release.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    He did fly as the ravens as has been shown just recently
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Wouldnt be the first time. Already had 3 different actors for the mountain and 2 for daario. Speaking of Daario is he ever coming back or did Dany send him away forever
    Deadpool killed him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Your avatar is fine if you only post in this thread, but if not you should change it until the official release.
    lol no. hahaha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    lol no. hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    The show is only following the broadest of broad strokes from Martin's outlines for future books I think, and it's super obvious I have no clue what I am talking about
    fixed that for you.
    Until you provide a screenshot of you with D&D I know you have no clue what they where given by Martin.

- - - Updated - - -

I criticize the lazy writing
    Its always easy to claim something you never done yourself is bad - the hard thing is to prove you are right
    (Hint: you are not)

Deleted
    In the books the Others are treated with a great deal of ambiguity. The Night's King isn't even a character in the book -- if anything, Euron will likely be the one to fulfil that role. All we really know of the Others so far is that they're "beautiful foreigners," they have their own language, their own culture, and their own reasons for existing. They aren't "evil," they're just "other," and that's almost certainly what Martin intends. He hates the way Tolkien treated good and evil in Lord of the Rings, with evil orcs fighting good humans.
    I like this point - they're a thing, we just don't know shit. On the Tolkien side, only the leaders were really evil besides deliberately twisting elves into orcs (in a true pyramid scheme of bad trickle-down), and the most convincing analogy was not any kind of stereotyping about races but that of a newly industrialized wave of warfare like the one he went through.

It's all very metal to me.

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    So the big question everyone who calls himself King must be able to answer:
    What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen raven?
    An African or European raven?

I dont even. Mad Queen at this again, using her goddamned dragons to do the thing for her. And ofc instead of sitting where she was, she goes north of the wall and starts a war with NK. Even more, she murders countless undead, like wtf. Mad slut. Couldnt she just behead the undead?

Cersei would do this right. Not like this weak feminist icon. If you argue against it you clearly cant look objectively at the whole picture.

The show is only following the broadest of broad strokes from Martin's outlines for future books, and it's super obvious. By their own admission, he only gave them three major twist reveals, one of which was Hodor's name, and another likely the burning of Shireen.

If you think the book is going to follow the same plot as the show, I can only assume you've never actually read the books (and are truly depriving yourself if that's indeed the case), because half the characters in the show aren't even alive in the books, and half the characters in the books never even existed in the show.

How can Stannis burn Shireen alive when she's halfway across the continent from his army? How can Sansa get raped by Ramsay and rescued by Theon when he's already married to Arya Stark? How will Dany march into an empty Dragonstone when it's currently occupied by Aegon Targaryen and his sellsword forces? How will Jaime lead the Lannister forces against Highgarden when he's already betrayed Cersei and is currently with Brienne, Lady Stoneheart, and the Brotherhood Without Banners?

I can go on and on. Yes, some of the broad strokes will be the same, and there will be some parallel plotlines. But there are going to be innumerable differences, and I can guarantee you that the book will tell the superior story, just based on the preview chapters of Winds of Winter alone.
    Learn what the fuck "adaptation" means. That might help you sleep at night. Hint: A lot of those changes were made even before they got past the books, including episodes written by Martin his own fucking self.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does nobody complain how cunning and smart Cersei is in the show, but incompetent in the books?

15+ Year Old Account
    I must say some good gifs are being created by people with to much time but it still gives me good laughs.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog