Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Look up when most of these statues were built. They weren't built after the war, they were built 60+ years later.
    Time period does not inherently impart motive.

Many of those statues featured in the video was more than 100 years after their events took place. Stop being ignorant because [feels good].
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

15+ Year Old Account
    Look up when most of these statues were built. They weren't built after the war, they were built 60+ years later.
    That sounds like after the war to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I already know you're going to say that gap is somehow a problem, but sometimes it takes awhile for history to be remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    how about you build a school, or a library, or anything else that's more fucking useful then a statue.
    Because statues are a better symbol than the name on the side of the building. Though funnily enough, many of the same people wanting to tear these down are also the same people who shit themselves to remove names they don't like from buildings too. Funny how that works.
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    Look at the time period for clue.

Because statues are a better symbol than the name on the side of the building
    He said useful things, not symbols.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Look at the time period for clue.
    Continually stating this is meaningless. It doesn't rebut anything I said. Try again.

how about you build a school, or a library, or anything else that's more fucking useful then a statue.
    The same reason why people write fantasy instead of writing only plumbing and cooking guides, the same reason why you watch movies and tv shows while you could be working on your own life.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Former I'd imagine. Anyway, I don't have a problem with statues because history is cool.
    What would I have white guilt for? My ancestors weren't even in the US at the time. They were busy being starved by the English or enjoying life in the Habsburg empire.

Because statues are a better symbol than the name on the side of the building. Though funnily enough, many of the same people wanting to tear these down are also the same people who shit themselves to remove names they don't like from buildings too. Funny how that works.
    okay? am I supposed to be one of those people? also I really, really could not give a shit less about the symbolism.

Many of those statues featured in the video was more than 100 years after their events took place. Stop being ignorant because [feels good].
    Do you know anything about the Jim Crow era in the south? That's where these statues come from.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did you compared the cost and which is easier? I can give you a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    The same reason why people write fantasy instead of writing only plumbing and cooking guides, the same reason why you watch movies and tv shows while you could be working on your own life.
    what are you my mother? also are all fantasy writers plumbers now?

They can "waste" their time in private however they want. This is about a public display.

I think the statue Confederate memorials should be put in a museum, not destroyed. Put aside the racism aspects of these memorials, there's another side to them...Confederate memorials are memorials to traitors of the United States. It's ridiculous to celebrate people or groups of people who willing betrayed their own country. There should not be statues celebrating American traitors on the streets of America, stick them in a museum to preserve history. Think about it...why should there be a statue up in your town celebrating a general who is responsible for taking the lives of hundreds or thousands of the people of your own country?

Do you know anything about the Jim Crow era in the south? That's where these statues come from.
    I am well aware. In fact I am willing to bet that I know more since you seem to think that this is literally a black and white issue. I mean I would love to have your time machine, since you were not only there, but read their minds to boot!

Goku statue please

I am well aware. In fact I am willing to bet that I know more since you seem to think that this is literally a black and white issue. I mean I would love to have your time machine, since you were not only there, but read their minds to boot!
    They're monuments to people who fought for slavery that were erected in a time and place where people were incredibly angry they had to treat black people as actual people.

It doesn't take a mind reader to know what their motivations were.

what are you my mother? also are all fantasy writers plumbers now?
    Is the only reason for a statue to exist a history lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    They can "waste" their time in private however they want. This is about a public display.
    And there's nothing wrong with having a sculpture of your favourite hero on public display.

Is the only reason for a statue to exist a history lesson?.
    no it's to be a luxury, at best.

They're monuments to people who fought for slavery that were erected in a time and place where people were incredibly angry they had to treat black people as actual people.

Except that whole bit about fighting for slavery wasn't the only thing they did.

As I said, you are edging closer and closer to ignorance to the point of stupidity. You don't know what you think you do, but fully believe it to be accurate because [reasons]. Stop it.

He seems to be the mind reader because he claims to know their true motivations without providing any evidence. Comic, as he's accusing others of lack of reasoning.