10+ Year Old Account

What am I doing wrong? BM Artifact Challenge

Before you watch the video, I'd like to point out a few things.

I have tested the following.

• Different Pet
    • Assist / Passive
    • Swapped Talents around

From what I understand, Growl doesn't auto cast because this is not a "threat fight" he is meant to keep attacking the pet unless the pet dies.

Why do I keep pulling agro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-IbppYq0s

This is intended. You can still pull threat from your pet. Download an addon like Omen to help you watch your threat.

On a side note, I had better luck with a ferocity pet(assuming you aren't using the Legendary ring for pet passives.) It does more damage and thus more threat. You don't have to worry about aggro as much. More damage means a shorter fight and thus fewer opportunities to mess up. More damage lets you burn eggs/worms faster which leads to a less hectic fight. You give up the health pool of a tenacity pet so you a missed interrupt will 1 shot the pet but the fight ended up being so much cleaner that I didn't need it. I also used a turtle for the shell shield just in case but I don't think I needed it. Also, my turtle is named Gary but that might not be important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaji-Boulderfist View Post
    This is intended. You can still pull threat from your pet. Download an addon like Omen to help you watch your threat.

On a side note, I had better luck with a ferocity pet(assuming you aren't using the Legendary ring for pet passives.) It does more damage and thus more threat. You don't have to worry about aggro as much. More damage means a shorter fight and thus fewer opportunities to mess up. More damage lets you burn eggs/worms faster which leads to a less hectic fight. You give up the health pool of a tenacity pet so you a missed interrupt will 1 shot the pet but the fight ended up being so much cleaner that I didn't need it. I also used a turtle for the shell shield just in case but I don't think I needed it. Also, my turtle is named Gary but that might not be important.
    So am I meant to slow my personal dps down and let my pet keep hammering away for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Rekuja View Post
    So am I meant to slow my personal dps down and let my pet keep hammering away for a while?
    No. You definitely shouldn't be pulling aggro from your pet in the challenge unless they have changed it since day 1, regardless you used Misdirect so you shouldn't have had aggro at all in the duration of the video.

I never had that problem at all especially considering your pet does most of your damage. Only time I gained aggro was if I fucked up and the pet got one shot, i.e. something that is not meant to happen.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-08-18 at 01:41 AM.

Are you using misdirect on cooldown on your pet? I know I have a misdirect macro that goes directly to the pet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    No. You definitely shouldn't be pulling aggro from your pet in the challenge unless they have changed it since day 1, regardless you used Misdirect so you shouldn't have had aggro at all in the duration of the video.

I never had that problem at all especially considering your pet does most of your damage. Only time I gained aggro was if I fucked up and the pet got one shot, i.e. something that is not meant to happen.
    This is why I'm worried that it's bugged or maybe something in my gear/talent is screwing it up for me?

This is why I'm worried that it's bugged or maybe something in my gear/talent is screwing it up for me?
    Try with Dire Frenzy. I did it with DF not DB, and I'm not sure how the threat works with DB honestly, but it's more pet-DPS either way so less likely you're going to pull. Worth a shot?

Before you watch the video, I'd like to point out a few things.

I have tested the following.

• Different Pet
    • Assist / Passive
    • Swapped Talents around

From what I understand, Growl doesn't auto cast because this is not a "threat fight" he is meant to keep attacking the pet unless the pet dies.

Why do I keep pulling agro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-IbppYq0s
    Dumb question, but you don't have your pet's FD macro'd into something do you? If not, it's possibly bugged. I got the BM one early on and never noticed I'd pull aggro unless pet died. I used the pet FD once to try and stop the cast and it never got threat back after that either.

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    Had the same problem when I tried a few days ago when Mage Tower was up. I personally think the weapon skin is just meh, so this was my first attempt at the challenge. Thought I was doing something incorrect, so I watched a couple videos....I don't believe I was. It didn't help that I only had 3 attempts at it, since I was completely oblivious to the shard requirement for re-trys. Have a feeling it might be bugged. Maybe more can corroborate or dispute.....

You're using huge burst outside the MD threat window (e.g. you use KJ trinket after it ends) and for less than half of MD do you have BW going. As soon as you put MD up, hit BW and nuke with KJ and everything else to put all that threat on your pet, then keep MDing on cooldown. The key to keeping threat on your pet is to align your initial heavy burst with Misdirect.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Try with Dire Frenzy. I did it with DF not DB, and I'm not sure how the threat works with DB honestly, but it's more pet-DPS either way so less likely you're going to pull. Worth a shot?
    This.

Dire Beasts have their own threat table and do not contribute towards your main pet threat. If you use DIre Frenzy you will definitely won't pull threat from your pet.

Also, if you use a Tenacity pet, Thunderstomp will generate additional rage for your pet. If you have enough item level, a tenacity pet can easily withstand every other spell from the boss, although healing your pet will draw threat from his pet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your pet won't growl when it's on passive. Change it to assist.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

1) Growl/thunderstomp threat generation doesn't work for the mage tower bosses. Otherwise it'd be too easy to recover from mistakes.

2) Putting threat issues aside, you might want to go read up on openers. It's terribly wrong how you're doing it, even disregarding the fact that you don't use aotw in the video clip. I'm fairly certain this is a large part of why you're pulling threat.

3) You can always try FD dropping threat. I'm not sure if it works in this instance, it's been a while since I cleared it. I have a feeling it won't work...

4) Think about what spells gives YOU threat vs what gives YOUR PET threat. Your current setup gives YOU a lot more threat than what an average BM hunter would run (I'm assuming you're an MM main trying to clear the BM challenge, since you're logged out in MM).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaji-Boulderfist View Post
    Also, my turtle is named Gary but that might not be important.

BRB, renaming pet for buff.

Deleted
    Well since 2 resets or so ago i noticed that while doing WQs i'd often pull aggro off my pet. I'm using the legendary ring that makes my Ferocity pet have all the traits, and it looks like it might not work unless after logging you unequip and equip it again?

I just tried it with my BM and I didn't take the aggro of the boss. Something's weird with your stuff.

Btw anyone knows how to handle this fight without any healing legendaries ? I can dodge everything but I eventually die to the undodgeable attacks from the worm (I try to interrupt a maximum of screams).

Homophobia is so gay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    I just tried it with my BM and I didn't take the aggro of the boss. Something's weird with your stuff.

Btw anyone knows how to handle this fight without any healing legendaries ? I can dodge everything but I eventually die to the undodgeable attacks from the worm (I try to interrupt a maximum of screams).
    Either you run roots if you have them or outgear it massively, there's an argument to be made for Prydaz and Voodoo mask but they aren't as reliable in this case. Not many other options available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    Either you run roots if you have them or outgear it massively, there's an argument to be made for Prydaz and Voodoo mask but they aren't as reliable in this case. Not many other options available at the moment.
    I see. Well i'll try to gear my hunt a little since I don't have any of those legendaries. Cheers

Homophobia is so gay.

You definitely want your pet to be tenacity, better threat generation and your pet can actually survive if you miss an interrupt. This is literally the easiest challenge and should be no problem for anyone above 910 ilvl. Wear healing pants and whatever other legendary you want and you can cheese the worm for p2.

Also, use a corehound for the lust. Make sure that intimidation, countershot, and trap are all in your interrupt toolkit, you will need all 3.

I did it at 908 equipped with prydaz and roots. Can completely ignore mechanics on the worm phase and just nuke him down, no interrupts needed.
    Last edited by Holovik; 2017-08-21 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesasha View Post
    Well since 2 resets or so ago i noticed that while doing WQs i'd often pull aggro off my pet. I'm using the legendary ring that makes my Ferocity pet have all the traits, and it looks like it might not work unless after logging you unequip and equip it again?
    The ring has always been pretty buggy. Supposedly it was supposed to be fixed, but apparently not. Thing's been in my bank for months.