Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Coming back to WoW - Ex Mythic/Heroic Fire Mage

Hey guys,

just coming back to WoW after a long hiatus. Just hit level 110 and I'm looking for any tips on gear, stats, talents, etc.

Was reading up on Icy-Veins (hopefully a reliable source still) to try and familiarise myself with Fire as that will be my main spec as it was in the past.

From my understanding, stats are the same for fire as they've been for a while - crit > mastery > haste (?)

As far as talents, the breakdown on Icy-Veins seems very straight forward and common sense - just wanted to make sure that the information that they provide there is correct.

Any other tips or advice for a veteran Fire mage coming back to the game as myself?

Thanks all

So, I dont know if you are very eager to gear, but as of 7.3 you can gear very easily. Just as you can gear on Broken shore, It is basically 885 gear from a vendor. You just farm some things on Argus which is the planet we will be going to in 7.3. I would recommend you wait for 7.3 to gear, it will save you a lot of time. If you wait to 7.3 you can skip the Broken shore farm and LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by dimme View Post
    So, I dont know if you are very eager to gear, but as of 7.3 you can gear very easily. Just as you can gear on Broken shore, It is basically 885 gear from a vendor. You just farm some things on Argus which is the planet we will be going to in 7.3. I would recommend you wait for 7.3 to gear, it will save you a lot of time. If you wait to 7.3 you can skip the Broken shore farm and LFR.
    I'm very eager to gear as I'm wanting to get competitive quite quickly. I'm unfamiliar with the "Broken Shore" that you're referring to. I did some research on wowhead and came across a guideline on the Broken Shore quests (can't post links), is this what you mean? If so, is this the best questline/guide to follow to gear as soon as possible? I suppose I could level an alt or just practice in dungeons and get more comfortable with the Fire rotation as well while I wait to gear in 7.3

Okay so basically the answer to your gearing situation as far as stats goes is only solved by simming yourself but that's very easy now

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/simulationcraft

Download that addon and type /simc in game and copy everything that pops up in the box and then you're going to want to go to raidbots.com. Once there you're going to want paste all of that info into the available box after you pick the relevant option for yourself like stat weights or top gear to compare gear in your current talent setup etc. Make sure in the website's options to set the version of SimC the website uses to Nightly.

You'll also want to download Pawn to get a rough idea for gear (not trinkets typically) that drops while you're playing by importing the stat weight string from the above website into your pawn addon. It just takes your stat weights and multiples the stats on the gear by the assigned value to give it an overall value to compare to other pieces. This is just nice to see in game at a quick glance but simming yourself is always more accurate in the end because the value of stats will slightly or greatly change as your current gear changes.

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/pawn

and finally you're going to want to look at the talents/gear that people are actually using in the real world. Try to be mindful when looking at the very top parses of potential aoe cheese like on Demonic Inquisition.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...Mage&spec=Fire

You should be able to put all of that together and decide what stats/talents/gear/etc you're wanting for whatever you decide you want to do. Once you're really geared the first thing you'll probably realize is that crit isn't actually super amazing in basically any situation unless you somehow have like zero crit on your gear. Mastery scales with multiple mobs quickly as long as your ignites are spreading and is often not bad for single target as well.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2017-08-18 at 03:54 PM.

Start here: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...5ab33e58c2eae1
    Stats aren't as straightforward as they used to be, and highly dependent on talents, legendaries and tier pieces available to you, so simming has become more prominent.
    For trinkets, check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...view?sle=true#
    Mage discord is https://discord.gg/yPR3CC
    This doc collects various Mage resources https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IGW9-D9UT6s9eA

7.3 is rumoured to be out around 29th of august, 30th for EU. Though that is not confirmed. But if you really want to gear I would recommend that first of you go to group finder > custom pve > search for nether disruptor farm. Nether disruptor farm is basically a 40 man group that flies around broken shore and clicks a "Unstable nether disruptor" that spawns a mini boss. The mini boss has a chance to drop a "Dauntless" gear-piece which is 850+ ilvl. You will also get a currency called "Legionfall war supplies" Take these supplies to the table at "Deliverance point" on the map. When you contribute 100 supplies you will get a small bag that can give you gear, nethershards aswell as legendaries. If there is no group for Nether disruptor farm, look up "Sentinax farm" on Custom PVE. You farm portals to get nether shards and gear pieces. Keep in mind that you can only buy 1 ring and 1 trinket. They are unique equipped. If you ever fly past a small chest on the map, loot it. It has good chance for a gear piece and nethershards.

After getting almost full 850. Start up your own group for mythic dungeons because noone will invite you for mythic dungeons because they only want insane dps people. Try running with people over 880 atleast. Make it fast and try running with cloth users for more gear. When you get to 860 you can run LFR. Remember to bring coins to bonus

That's my tip. Sorry for a very long and detailed one but I thought I would get it right.

If you're going to wait for 7.3 to start gearing, you will have lost valuable weeks farming legendaries. I'd start asap with broken shore, pathfinder, and farming (old) raids. Get a nice guild and join their fun/alt runs if possible. Many will also help guildies gear through M+ if they feel you are serious about it.

Yeah you're going to want to farm all of the older raids like EN, ToV, and NH on heroic/normal weekly as well as completing your emissary caches and base mythic dungeons weekly if you want to catch up with legendaries. Its honestly very monotonous so if you just hate it you really don't have to but if you're serious about actually having the best stuff and being competitive you're going to need some of the leggos. If you can get some people to help you complete your weekly mythic +15 that'll gear you up pretty quickly.

As far as simply gearing ASAP on new alts what I do is complete any legion invasion you can find and then head to the broken shore. Use the nethershards from the first invasion to buy a large amount of 850 gear from the vendor to boost your ilvl to around 850 and then start saving 5k shards to buy relics from the higher end vendor. Complete the Cathedral of the Eternal Night dungeon quest for a free 860 relic and then just complete all of the base mythic dungeons then hop into the highest LFR you can for more free gear. After doing all of that you're probably around 870 and likely already got your first leggo. Then you're just going to want to get into any mythic+ you can and any relevant raid to your character. Friends help a lot here. Complete the current weekly quest to do 4 Mythic dungeons. You can find it across from the coin vendor in Dalaran. It gives 1 piece of heroic raid loot from the current raid.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2017-08-18 at 03:45 PM.

Your stat weights/values will also drastically change based on the amount of adds, how long they live and how much movement the fight has. In single target xrit is always king as the amount of other targets rise and the longer they are alive mastery will go from your worst to best stat. As a newer toon you don't have the luxury of swapping gear for each occasion. As you gear up and settle into mythic + dungeons or taids you will be able to flip flop gear and should.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Your stat weights/values will also drastically change based on the amount of adds, how long they live and how much movement the fight has. In single target xrit is always king as the amount of other targets rise and the longer they are alive mastery will go from your worst to best stat. As a newer toon you don't have the luxury of swapping gear for each occasion. As you gear up and settle into mythic + dungeons or taids you will be able to flip flop gear and should.
    Yeah I've been noticing that while looking at Warcraft logs since I posted this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppichulo View Post
    Yeah I've been noticing that while looking at Warcraft logs since I posted this thread.
    Regardless of the number of mobs the spec speeds up a lot more with more and more crit which I enjoy about it. Once you get to the 50 to 55% crit the play becomes significantly better allowing you to fire blast in spots you couldn't have before. When this happens your damge spikes a fair amout since you get damage buffs from consecutive crits.

Another thing to keep in mind if you start doing mythic + different affixes determine how you want to spec and attack mobs. Learning dangerous ttash mob abilities will greatly help you in toss too.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    Yeah you're going to want to farm all of the older raids like EN, ToV, and NH on heroic/normal weekly as well as completing your emissary caches and base mythic dungeons weekly if you want to catch up with legendaries. Its honestly very monotonous so if you just hate it you really don't have to but if you're serious about actually having the best stuff and being competitive you're going to need some of the leggos. If you can get some people to help you complete your weekly mythic +15 that'll gear you up pretty quickly.

As far as simply gearing ASAP on new alts what I do is complete any legion invasion you can find and then head to the broken shore. Use the nethershards from the first invasion to buy a large amount of 850 gear from the vendor to boost your ilvl to around 850 and then start saving 5k shards to buy relics from the higher end vendor. Complete the Cathedral of the Eternal Night dungeon quest for a free 860 relic and then just complete all of the base mythic dungeons then hop into the highest LFR you can for more free gear. After doing all of that you're probably around 870 and likely already got your first leggo. Then you're just going to want to get into any mythic+ you can and any relevant raid to your character. Friends help a lot here. Complete the current weekly quest to do 4 Mythic dungeons. You can find it across from the coin vendor in Dalaran. It gives 1 piece of heroic raid loot from the current raid.
    1. Why should I farm old raids?
    2. How long/many legion invasions do you have to do to get a decent amount of the 850 gear?

1. Why should I farm old raids?
    2. How long/many legion invasions do you have to do to get a decent amount nethershards for the 850 gear?

1. Why do I farm old raids?
    2. How long/many legion invasion's do I need to acquire a good amount of nethershards for the 850 gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Regardless of the number of mobs the spec speeds up a lot more with more and more crit which I enjoy about it. Once you get to the 50 to 55% crit the play becomes significantly better allowing you to fire blast in spots you couldn't have before. When this happens your damge spikes a fair amout since you get damage buffs from consecutive crits.

Another thing to keep in mind if you start doing mythic + different affixes determine how you want to spec and attack mobs. Learning dangerous ttash mob abilities will greatly help you in toss too.
    Thanks for the help.

The Broken Shore questline starts with Khadgar, near the flightmaster in Dalaran. You'll take a blue/purple bird down to the shore, and go through a fairly short scenario fighting demons, and culminating with fighting a demon aboard a Legion ship. After that, there will be a vendor nearby that'll sell armor tokens for 200-ish nethershards. These tokens will create ilvl 850 gear. There's another vendor standing next to that that also sells tokens for 5000 nethershards, that turn into 880 gear, and has a low chance to give legendaries.

Don't forget to do your class hall questline. A lot of the strength of your weapon comes from having a third relic slot. It shouldn't take more than a couple/few days to do, though.

Also, you will need to increase your artifact knowledge in your class hall as fast as possible, but that'll definitely be a bit of a time-gate on your first 110 character.

Once you have points every trait on your weapon, a quest should show up in Dalaran to unlock the last piece of your artifact weapon. Do that one ASAP as well, though it may take some time to get enough artifact power, based on your low artifact knowledge.

This week is also the Dungeon week, so do accept the quest in Dalaran (outside of Violet hold, there's an NPC with a weekly quest), and run 4 regular mythic dungeons. This'll give you one solid piece of gear from ToS (though I'm unsure of what the ilvl will be, for you)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppichulo View Post
    Thanks for the help.
    Make sure to get the mythic weekly quest done before tuesday. The dungeons will give you gear and the cache at the end will give you a ToS heroic item 915 or higher. If you get terror from below or the sentinel trinket you will be well on your way.

Before you will be able to do much, as fire you need legendaries. Ideally the bracers and belt. You may trade out bracers or belt for the hero ring for single target. You will also need concordance, so be sure to do the AP grind and farm legendaries. To best farm legendaries do this weekly/daily as prescribed:

1. Daily random heroic dungeon
    2. LFR for all raids
    3. All raids at all difficulties
    4. Emissary missions each day
    5. 1 mythic+ each week for the big chest in your class hall
    6. 1 of each mythic+0 dungeon
    7. 1 broken shore turnin each day

Your first 2 legos will drop right away. In the first week if you do all that. If you get lucky, you will be good to go. After that, you will get a lego about once every 2 weeks since you won't be able to do all the content listed above until you get decent gear. Once you do, sans mythic raiding you will get one about ever week and a half. You'll also want to gather nethershards to try and target the bracers.

Before you can be competitive you need the legendaries. Everything else means much less, but I would also suggest going after t20, fire relics, and the shark/owl trinkets with extra rolls.

As a fire mage you have 8 pieces of required gear(as mentioned above)

2 legendaries(bracers(or shard) and belt)
    4 pieces of tier(any will do)
    2 trinkets(owl and shark)

No other gear for those spots is viable, really(except perhaps whispers matching up nearly equally against shark, but the ilvl gap is usually the killer there). For frost you also need 2p t19, so it ain't that bad.

When you can, you will also want to farm up the helm for aoe and the shard(hero ring) for frost(or fire if you get it before bracers or belt), since those two legos are quintessential to the spec/class respectively.

Practice while you earn that gear, and you'll be giving us advice before long.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2017-08-18 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Start here: https://www.altered-time.com/forum/v...5ab33e58c2eae1
    Stats aren't as straightforward as they used to be, and highly dependent on talents, legendaries and tier pieces available to you, so simming has become more prominent.
    For trinkets, check out https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...view?sle=true#
    Mage discord is https://discord.gg/yPR3CC
    This doc collects various Mage resources https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...IGW9-D9UT6s9eA
    Thank you for these links. I've been looking for something to show me trinkets.

you run old raids for legos.. if u do what the good people here already said youll be geting roughly 1 leg a week if you are lucky... 2 weeks at most for 1 lego. as fire you NEED bracers go be comepetitive. but you can still do ok without them regardless. happy hunting!