Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm not a pessimist but every hero has a moral stain.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people care about a confederate statue to begin with?

TIL people get super mad when you take away their participation trophies.

Johnny Appleseed. Crazy man who went around planting apple trees during the early days of the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed

The statue makes him look like a hobbit.

Here's another with his "pot" hat.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    Why do people care about a confederate statue to begin with?

TIL people get super mad when you take away their participation trophies.
    Because the South looks at the Civil ware in a RADICALLY different way and it's something that modern northern or foreigners cannot be bothered with.

There is a big subtext in the Civil war about Economics, States Rights, Federalism, and Property. Most people seem to consistently evaluate the past by modern standards (as the guy in the video stated.) To me, a lot of the characteristics of someone who state "the civil war was about slavery" and then equate all southern pride as "racism" are the same people who mock people for how "a book written 2000 years ago doesn't have anything to do with you." It's call cognitive dissonance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Livnthedream View Post
    "I can't counter the argument, so I will just throw shade instead! That totally works!"
    I was not planning on countering anything, others already said anything that needs to be said, have fun.

Deleted

This is a statue in Taichung, Taiwan Province of China.

MLK was a womanizer who disapproved of gay people, so he's obviously off the list. The Founding Fathers were slave owners, so we can't have them either. I can't think of a single politician or sports icon who was a perfect human, so no statues there. So who does that leave? Wonder Woman and Aquaman?

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Because the South looks at the Civil ware in a RADICALLY different way and it's something that modern northern or foreigners cannot be bothered with.

There is a big subtext in the Civil war about Economics, States Rights, Federalism, and Property. Most people seem to consistently evaluate the past by modern standards (as the guy in the video stated.) To me, a lot of the characteristics of someone who state "the civil war was about slavery" and then equate all southern pride as "racism" are the same people who mock people for how "a book written 2000 years ago doesn't have anything to do with you." It's call cognitive dissonance.
    ^^^

Ding ding ding winrar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    I was not planning on countering anything, others already said anything that needs to be said, have fun.
    Oh I know, you just want to vomit your opinion into the ether and pretend that it matters.
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

10+ Year Old Account
    ^^^

Ding ding ding winrar.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I know, you just want to vomit your opinion into the ether and pretend that it matters.
    We got something in common then, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Not sure where you got that impression.

My example is, if you want a Robert E Lee statue, have him laying down his weapons at the feet of Lincoln. That is more of a history lesson than a statue of a confederate leader standing tall and proud. This way, history is not removed from visibility.
    Because half the symbolism from the statues is that they get to keep their dignity. You effectively calling for salt in the wound for people who were already beaten is damning. What is hilarious, is the same people calling for this are the same ones rambling on about how Trump is the great divider when these actions are far more divisive. That isn't how you bring people together.
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Because half the symbolism from the statues is that they get to keep their dignity. You effectively calling for salt in the wound for people who were already beaten is damning.
    Last time I checked those people are no longer alive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Heroes are make believe.
    I disagree, heroes are people who we can all look up to, something to aspire to be. We all need heroes in our life even if they don't wear capes or fight in wars, they might be a three time cancer survivor you know, someone who against all odds overcome the impossible. Or those that did a great deed in putting others before themselves making the a great sacrifice.

Heroes are very real, they are just not your typical heroes from comic books. Or those we considered heroes int he past

I am all for keeping statues up, our history should be that of learning, not something to be forgotten, even if you have to take the statue down, put it in a museum to educate people, I think that's super cool. Never destroy them though, that would be like erasing history. Keep it make people learn fromt he mistakes of our past especially if that statue is in many ways offensive and dated.

To be fair statues would be a lot better taken care of if they were all in museums than being pooped on my the flying rat of our fine streets every day 24/7:P
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-08-18 at 05:37 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Last time I checked those people are no longer alive.
    But think of the feelings!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Everwake View Post
    MLK was a womanizer who disapproved of gay people, so he's obviously off the list. The Founding Fathers were slave owners, so we can't have them either. I can't think of a single politician or sports icon who was a perfect human, so no statues there. So who does that leave? Wonder Woman and Aquaman?
    Exactly! If it was some random white person who said that being gay was a culturally acquired problem in need of a solution there wouldnt be streets or schools named after them and would be labeled a right wing bigot.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Exactly! If it was some random white person who said that being gay was a culturally acquired problem in need of a solution there wouldnt be streets or schools named after them and would be labeled a right wing bigot.
    There is a severe lack of awareness around these parts. He isn't honored for being a womanizer but for the good things he did. The same can't be said about confederate leaders. Most of their statues were specifically erected to honor the horrible things the confederacy stood for.

there's a difference of scale between having major character flaws and leading armed rebellion to fight a democratically elected government and then losing. that's why we don't want confederate statues up. it would be like us putting up hundreds of statues of Benedict Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    it would be like us putting up hundreds of statues of Benedict Arnold.
    Ironically he won quite a few notable victories before his betrayal that helped the revolution.

Had he not done what he did he wouldve gone down in the same breath as Washington and there couldve been tons of monuments to him.

Quote Originally Posted by trrujkgklg View Post
    Ironically he won quite a few notable victories before his betrayal that helped the revolution.

Had he not done what he did he wouldve gone down in the same breath as Washington and there couldve been tons of monuments to him.
    very true in fact there is one monument to a battle he won but it goes out of its way to NOT name him, because we don't want to give honor to traitors.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    There is a severe lack of awareness around these parts. He isn't honored for being a womanizer but for the good things he did. The same can't be said about confederate leaders. Most of their statues were specifically erected to honor the horrible things the confederacy stood for.
    He was a hypocrite who wanted equality for blacks, but not for gays.

Key word is "most". Which is not all. The Civil War was a huge black eye, but everyone had a different reason for fighting.

This latest stunt is just SJW who have nothing better to do then to cause chaos. It is just headline grabbing, feel good stuff. So they can go home and tell their friends that they "were there when" such and such happened. Of all the problems in this country, a fucking statue is the least of anyones concerns.

We have currency with a genocidal leader (Jackson) and have a Federal Holiday, National Capital and numerous other cities and counties to memorialize another (Columbus). Yet their first act is to tear down some statue? Its a symbolic movement with only one purpose, to grab headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    He was a hypocrite who wanted equality for blacks, but not for gays.

Key word is "most". Which is not all. The Civil War was a huge black eye, but everyone had a different reason for fighting.

This latest stunt is just SJW who have nothing better to do then to cause chaos. It is just headline grabbing, feel good stuff. So they can go home and tell their friends that they "were there when" such and such happened. Of all the problems in this country, a fucking statue is the least of anyones concerns.

We have currency with a genocidal leader (Jackson) and have a Federal Holiday, National Capital and numerous other cities and counties to memorialize another (Columbus). Yet their first act is to tear down some statue? Its a symbolic movement with only one purpose, to grab headlines.
    Hey I'm with you there. Let's start tearing down anything related to Columbus. we need our priorities straight, that guy was a grade A dick.