10+ Year Old Account

Monk Tier Set Design...

Am I the only one finding the recent Monk sets mostly unpalatable? The newest one coming with Argus makes us look like mariachi band players with floating marbles...the one before that was alright but the first one in the expansion felt more "Rogue" than Monk.

There is definitely no shortage of inspiration for Eastern-Style Monk armor designs considering how the internet is rife with that. I want to look like a Monk, damnit, not some brawler mariachi player. And man, the color schemes too! Yellow and purple?! >.> I know we aren't the most play class but come on. They nail most classes thematically when it comes to tier armor but since the end of MoP it's been so hit and miss I feel like. The last Monk set I felt was "Monk-y" was the Hellfire Citadel one.

You are not, my friend. The set coming in 7.3 is... as Gordon Ramsay would say... bland.
    "Hope can turn into despair in a heartbeat."
    R.I.P Chester Bennington 1976-2017

I'm STILL 6 tiers later waiting for a set that looks even half as good as Tier 15 does.

I suppose it could be worse. They could make a set that makes us look like a spikey dild-oh wait. They did.

Deleted
    Pretty sure Gordon Ramsey would say something like "This is the ******* ***** **** **** thing I've ever seen"

But I do agree, my monk will not be wearing things... Thank god for transmogs!

The tiger one is one of the best armor set in the entire game though.

setting colors aside, they're just too bulky, monks are suppose to be fast and nimble, and the size of the gloves, boost and and your WWE belt buckle, makes me wonder, how the hell am I going to fit though the door

on a side note, the current set isnt that bad (yet again, bulky af), but the helmet spoils it for me, reminds me of a shaman headpiece

I disliked every single monk tier set. The only monk armor i like is the one they're starting in, which you thankfully can get as transmog by starting a monk class trial.

I main a mistweaver and i always transmog to something skanky.

ToS monk set is very nice imo the Burning throne tier....not so much.

I agree with you OP. Purple? WTH?

Bland! That's what T21 is. I like the design, but the colors and recolors are just ... no words.
    The mythic version is the only one that's decent. We've yet to see the PVP variants so I'm holding my breath but I feel, from what we've seen so far, I'll be very disappointed.

Same thing with T20. I love the design (The variant that's in the icons isn't in the game for some reason?) The recolors are just ugh... only mythic variant is decent, again.

I made this a while back:

Someone posted this on reddit, and it's closer to what it should be imo.
    Last edited by SKLC; 2017-08-17 at 11:27 PM.
    Twitter @dorjemonk

That post makes me think that you think that ALL dk sets need to be gray/cyan and with lots of skulls.

There is merit to diversity beyond the colors that already exist in game

Quote Originally Posted by ribthanwa View Post
    That post makes me think that you think that ALL dk sets need to be gray/cyan and with lots of skulls.

There is merit to diversity beyond the colors that already exist in game
    No. They also have red too (blood) it's very prominent in the DK theme, and green. And skulls and undead go together anyway. It is natural, and fits the DK theme, of sort of a necromancer type, although it doesn't always have to be there (and it isn't).

Besides the point.

There is merit, to an extent to where it makes sense. Designing isn't just throwing random colors for changes sake and see what sticks.
    Twitter @dorjemonk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jademist7 View Post
    Am I the only one finding the recent Monk sets mostly unpalatable? The newest one coming with Argus makes us look like mariachi band players with floating marbles...the one before that was alright but the first one in the expansion felt more "Rogue" than Monk.

There is definitely no shortage of inspiration for Eastern-Style Monk armor designs considering how the internet is rife with that. I want to look like a Monk, damnit, not some brawler mariachi player. And man, the color schemes too! Yellow and purple?! >.> I know we aren't the most play class but come on. They nail most classes thematically when it comes to tier armor but since the end of MoP it's been so hit and miss I feel like. The last Monk set I felt was "Monk-y" was the Hellfire Citadel one.
    Funny thing is that those straw rice paddy hats have nothing to do with Monks. They were for field workers so they don't get sun burned while picking rice back in the day.

It's the equivalent of giving all Americans Cowboy Hats or all Brits Bowler Hats regardless of the job they do.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Funny thing is that those straw rice paddy hats have nothing to do with Monks. They were for field workers so they don't get sun burned while picking rice back in the day.

It's the equivalent of giving all Americans Cowboy Hats or all Brits Bowler Hats regardless of the job they do.
    Actually, Shinto monks wear hats similar to the straw rice paddy hats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DorjeMonk View Post
    I agree with you OP. Purple? WTH?

Bland! That's what T21 is. I like the design, but the colors and recolors are just ... no words.
    The mythic version is the only one that's decent. We've yet to see the PVP variants so I'm holding my breath but I feel, from what we've seen so far, I'll be very disappointed.

Same thing with T20. I love the design (The variant that's in the icons isn't in the game for some reason?) The recolors are just ugh... only mythic variant is decent, again.

I made this a while back:

Someone posted this on reddit, and it's closer to what it should be imo.
    This is perfect. Exactly what the Monk class needs in terms of tier design.