Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    it already does around the Mexican border, it offends the mexican immigrants apparently and you aren't allowed to have anything with the US flag at school.
    I simultaneously believe and don't believe this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    I simultaneously believe and don't believe this.

Last edited by zhero; 2017-08-19 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    *nonsense*
    Now remember, do not under any circumstances let people be aware of what country they are currently located in. It may make them uncomfortable, and does not promote diversity.

Shhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    No it's still pretty easy because I'm pretty fucking left outside of a couple issues. You denounce Nazis? You fly the American flag? You say we should all love America and not foreign leaders/traitors/enemies of the state? Yeah I'm sold.

"The Nation" is not divided. That's bullshit sold to you by people who have a vested interest in dividing us. Most people are getting along fine, political, religious, social differences aside. These Nazis? Those anti-fa guys? They're a really loud minority. But one of these minorities is an enemy of the American people and it isn't the anti-fa guys.
    "People get along, unless it comes to the most contentious issues that histocially have led to violence." I mean yeah, this isn't the Middle East, but things are getting worse, and if you can't see that maybe step out of your perfect leftist echo chamber of happy feelings.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Realizing this almost 60 years later... hmmm what happened exactly

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    "People get along, unless it comes to the most contentious issues that histocially have led to violence." I mean yeah, this isn't the Middle East, but things are getting worse, and if you can't see that maybe step out of your perfect leftist echo chamber of happy feelings.
    Well, me any my Republican buddies pretty universally agree Nazis are bad, so I don't see any contention around here.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by sjuk View Post
    Realizing this almost 60 years later... hmmm what happened exactly
    People are rightly realizing that flying the American Swastika, the flag of a failed rebellion against the Constution, is morally wrong.

Because that is exactly what the Confederate Battle Flag is. An American Swastika and a flag of traitors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    People are rightly realizing that flying the American Swastika, the flag of a failed rebellion against the Constution, is morally wrong.

Because that is exactly what the Confederate Battle Flag is. An American Swastika and a flag of traitors.
    And entirely appropriate given the theme was the number of countries Texas has been a part of. Unless this was just a general statement and not specific to this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    And entirely appropriate given the theme was the number of countries Texas has been a part of. Unless this was just a general statement and not specific to this incident.
    Given the them, yes. But rebranding when the original rationale for a name because company purpose or societal tastes changes is nothing new.

For example, "Apple Computer" becoming "Apple" because it's focus moved off of computers to many types of devices. Or better yet, American Telephone & Telegraph, aka AT&T, which hasn't actually "meant" American Telephone & Telegraph since 1982. Rather it's "just" AT&T.

"Six Flags over Texas" certainly had a specific origin, like AT&T, but "Six Flags" being just "Six Flags", a thing unto itself, is the only relevant thing at the present. So there is nothing wrong with just divisting itself of an obsolete linkage.

Another one would be "MSNBC", which is so 2000s dot-comy, it's embarassing. Microsoft hasn't been involved in the TV channel for over a decade and the website for over five years, which makes "MSNBC" vestigial if it refers at all to the "corporate team up between Microsoft and NBC" as originally envisioned. Now MSNBC is just MSNBC (but for the life of me, given it's essentially just NBCNews, I don't know why they just don't rename it to NBC News Channel, or something).

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe other Six Flags, but this specific park is designed around the 6 countries (well, there's like no confer stuff but anyway), so even rebranding still wouldn't make sense for this specific park.

Like there's a Mexico part and France part and Spain part and Texas country part.

Obvious over reaction. Could easily replace the confederate flag with the state flag and still have 6 flags over Texas.

- - - Updated - - -

There has always been outrage over the confederate flag at 6 flags....it's just Texas doesn't act like other states and always cave in. The selective outrage has made the corporation cave in because well, they want money.

Continued selective outrage is going to ruin American culture. Where is all of the liberals asking for Mount Rushmore to be blown up, or the white house to be torn down. Why are we only stopping at the civil war, let's tear down all history and make it only what people want now.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Obvious over reaction. Could easily replace the confederate flag with the state flag and still have 6 flags over Texas.
    The Lone Star Flag which is the State flag was already flown as it was the flag of the Republic of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    The Lone Star Flag which is the State flag was already flown as it was the flag of the Republic of Texas.
    There was one before it that was blue and gold. I remember being taught that but it was about 40 years ago , so I doubt they even mention it now.

So does this mean they are changing their name from six flags to One flags since there is only 1 flag rather than 6?
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post

- - - Updated - - -

There has always been outrage over the confederate flag at 6 flags....it's just Texas doesn't act like other states and always cave in. The selective outrage has made the corporation cave in because well, they want money.

Continued selective outrage is going to ruin American culture. Where is all of the liberals asking for Mount Rushmore to be blown up, or the white house to be torn down. Why are we only stopping at the civil war, let's tear down all history and make it only what people want now.
    It's not selective. We're talking about something that never should have been honored in the first place. Slavery is American's original sin. Period. It's "the big one". That original sin directly lead to the Civil War. The legacy of that sin and the Civil War led to Jim crow and a 150 years of racism and gradual progress on human and civil rights that continue to this day.

In the American story there is nothing else comparable. There is nothing else even close.

The Confederacy was an illegal, illegitimate rebellion. Its leaders were traitors who were not executed due to the mercy out of the victors. It's foundation was the continuance of Slavery. They were literally on the wrong side of history.

Tearing down Confederate Monuments... getting rid of the Confederate Flag... it isn't a "selective outrage". It is bringing an end to the honoring traitors who fought for slavery.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    So does this mean they are changing their name from six flags to One flags since there is only 1 flag rather than 6?
    "One Flag Over Texas" then ? somebody else would point out the missing parts easily.
    maybe they rename themselves Two Flags and put the Lone Star up besides Stars and Stripes and done.
    Fuck history of Texas, we are so easily offended !!!

All this talk of tearing down Confederate monuments because they were traitors and slaveholders and whatnot reminds me of how Caesars and Pharaohs would do the same to their competitors and rivals - destroy statues, strike their names from obelisks, and so forth - as well as how Stalin would have his political rivals removed from photographs and other records.

Will they change the name to just one flags now?

Deleted
    It's not selective. We're talking about something that never should have been honored in the first place. Slavery is American's original sin. Period. It's "the big one". That original sin directly lead to the Civil War. The legacy of that sin and the Civil War led to Jim crow and a 150 years of racism and gradual progress on human and civil rights that continue to this day.

In the American story there is nothing else comparable. There is nothing else even close.

The Confederacy was an illegal, illegitimate rebellion. Its leaders were traitors who were not executed due to the mercy out of the victors. It's foundation was the continuance of Slavery. They were literally on the wrong side of history.

Tearing down Confederate Monuments... getting rid of the Confederate Flag... it isn't a "selective outrage". It is bringing an end to the honoring traitors who fought for slavery.
    Oh boy.
    A, Slavery wasn't Your sin and was contentious even then.
    B, You are suggesting that nothing compares to slavery in the american sin book? - I got some news to you - You perpetrated a genocide on the native Americans (In fact, for all intents and purposes, its ongoing).
    C, "The Confederacy was an illegal, illegitimate rebellion" - ... So was the American rebellion, all rebellions are by definition illegal, and illegitimate (oh and as for the specificity, Your's was a tax dodge).
    D, "They were literally on the wrong side of history. " Stay away from progressives Skroe, they warp your mind - There is no right or wrong side of history - There is no directionality.
    E, The confederacy was also about different state structure, more EU less, unitary state, but whatever.
    And the final point - What in god's name is gained by stoking white identity politics like removing statues?
    I don't care how much you hate them, Divisionary identity politics are the enemy of the common - The more statues are torn down, the more white people will think of themselves as white people, You are playing into their hand.

i never even knew they actually had 6 flags up

what were the other ones?