Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Stop kidding yourself: There's no such thing as being fat and fit

http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-lo...ng-fat-and-fit

Recent research has put forth a dubious concept called “metabolically healthy obesity.”
    Basically, it's a term used to describe obese people whose metabolism performs like that of a person with a normal weight, and who don't seem to have signs of health problems that often plague obese people (high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and insulin resistance).

But the lack of metabolic problems, also know as metabolic syndrome, may not mean that the lucky few “healthy” obese people are doing fine in the long run, according to a new study published in the European Heart Journal. In the review, researchers looked data linking coronary heart disease and bodyweight from a 12-year study on more than 7,500 people. They discovered that people classified as “unhealthy”—those with three or more markers like high blood pressure, waist size over 37", blood glucose abnormalities—had twice the risk of CHD, no matter their weight.

People in the “healthy” column, however, showed a big contrast between those of normal weight and the overweight. Overweight subjects (BMI 25–30), had a 26% higher risk of CHD, while the obese (BMI over 30) had a 28% higher risk of heart problems.

"Our findings suggest that if a patient is overweight or obese, all efforts should be made to help them get back to a healthy weight, regardless of other factors. Even if their blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol appear within the normal range, excess weight is still a risk factor," said study head Camille Lassale, Ph.D., from Imperial College London's School of Public Health and now a research associate at University College London. "Overall, our findings challenge the concept of the 'healthy obese.' The research shows that those overweight individuals who appear to be otherwise healthy are still at increased risk of heart disease."

If you are intimidated by the gym or just don’t know where to start to get your health back on track, peruse some easy workouts you can do at home, or try out one of our simple beginner routines to lose weight. We promise that if you stick with it, you’ll feel great in a few months—and lower your risk of heart disease to boot.
    Great article here from a top fitness magazine.
    It really is utterly ridiculous when they claim to be fit when they're clearly not.
    Let's all agree to do our part and promote a healthy lifestyle to those around us. Who's in?

No, of course not.

Deleted
    "or try out one of our simple beginner routines to lose weight"

its 2017 and people still think you need to exercise to lose weight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

It really is utterly ridiculous when they claim to be fit when they're clearly not.
    Let's all agree to do our part and promote a healthy lifestyle to those around us. Who's in?
    I'm going to my local Curves to pick up fat chicks just to piss you off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm gonna go find a fat chick and be nice to her just to make you angry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    I'm gonna go find a fat chick and be nice to her just to make you angry.
    I beat you to it lol.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I beat you to it lol.
    You did, but I think we made some good points lol.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    uh no ten is angry!!!!! Big puffy red face!!!!! We must all comfort her!!!
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutVodka View Post
    You did, but I think we made some good points lol.
    I agree. Let's all do our part to promote a safe and happy place for all the fat chicks. Who's in?

Off topic: What is Tennishit's opinion on fat refugee women?

Off topic: What is Tennishit's opinion on fat refugee women?
    Who cares, they're not fat transsexual vegan handicapped refugee women

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Who cares, they're not fat transsexual vegan handicapped refugee women
    I am sorry for assuming their gender.

Find me a fatty that can run a lap [400m] without dying by the end of it.

Obesity is getting out of control, and I honestly find it ridiculous that people are trying to push that it should be acceptable to be a balloon as though it shouldn't be a concern in the slightest...

Sure, help the person be a step closer to the grave when they eventually get a heart attack and what have you! Or get amputated from Gout, etc. ... it's like saying it's fine to let someone be suicidal/self-harming, no need to intervene. <_<;

isnt this common sense?
    change can't wait.

Deleted

We should join the Pirahã already Tennis!

I am sorry for assuming their gender.
    xeir* you mysoginistic transphobic womanphobic genderphobic phobiaphobic...........

Quote Originally Posted by fotmyo View Post
    "or try out one of our simple beginner routines to lose weight"

its 2017 and people still think you need to exercise to lose weight?
    OT but thank you for using lose and not loose. I've seen loose so much lately that I'm just becoming increasingly autistic.

Deleted
    I would be in the group that this article refers to as healthy obese people. I'm Obese, but never had high blood pressure or any other related issues. I do ride my bicycle to and from work every day, which i believe alone is more daily activity than most people in my weight class get. While i don't feel sick, there are so many other problems with being obese that this article completely undermines. The constant pain in every bearing joint from ankles to bacl being one of them.

Obesity is bad, and should not be accepted in our society. The whole fat shaming thing is much worse though. I'm the one feeling the pain from my former idiocy, and knowing i'll only live 2/3 the length of any 'healthy' persons life if i don't lose weight should be punishment enough, no?

Deleted
    It's just a way of making money.
    Write a magazine that outright lies to people and tells them what they want to hear (it's not your fault that you're fat, it's your genetics, besides you're still healthy and beautiful) and people will buy it to make themselves feel better.
    It's exploiting people with self image issues who are in a desperate need of anything to boost their self respect, and preferably not work too hard for it by actually losing weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Thats the HAES (healthy at every size) movement. There is a reason most of those people in HAES are young. Because once you hit your 30s it catches up quick.
    The downside of social media... suddenly every moron has a voice, gathering like-minded morons to create such movements.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-08-19 at 02:39 AM.

I went looking to see what they had to say about Sudden Cardiac Death, an issue they don't like to raise too often about young athletes. Oddly enough zero articles. This article seemed a good juxtaposition though;

http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-lo...fat-percentage