Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As a note to you Saruman, im not bieng hostile but also as a note your example needs to be reconsidered.

Blizzard onpurposley tried to get the devs to make the guards have those stupidly exaggerated pauldrons and Khadgar and Medivhs armor was initally meant to be SINGIFINCALTY more over the top.

So in other words, what your seeing is a budget problem, not a realism problem.

They were meant to be *alot* more flashy than that.

Im sorry to tell you this but this is a world that Ion Hazzocoastas himself was asked about recently in an interview with Jessie Cox regarding how crazy he wanted the fantasy in wow to go, and his answer was:

"World of Warcraft is a High Fantasy with swords, and magic, but it also borrows from a number of other genres, such as science fiction with space ships, space travel and other worlds."

He basically said outright that *realism* doesnt exist in this mythos. Now if you want to look like, and roleplay an expendable peasant that will get 1 shot by the first death knight that comes their way, you're welcome to it.

But dont complain when thats exactly what you are to people around you, expendable fodder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Reading comprehension my friend... I didn't say there was anything wrong with NPCs. My point is that most of the people complaining about realistic armour are thinking about their gear as player characters. They want to look like heroes. However the WoW universe still have realistic looking NPCs in the form of villagers, townsfolk, explorers etc. It's not all about crazy spikes, molten lava and shoulders with skulls on them. The WoW universe has this:

People still wear normal looking gear. So my point is that it's still fantasy even without the crazy armour
    And how is that relevant to PC? PCs are not villagers, they are best of the best and they get the gear that looks like a disneyland ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Have you ever considered that you are RP'ing in a fantasy game? "wearing armor that a human would actually wear" isn't what you should go for. The "fancy" new stuff, in a RP sense is probably the best to use, considering it is the most heroic gear, for your character, which is a hero, received for defeating your enemies. In my mind, a RP setting, if you are running around in billy basic armor, you are no hero. your RP persona hasn't defeated the Lich king, Deathwing, Kil' Jaeden e.t.c

Depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. For plate, the Truesteel armor, save the shoulders, and most of the stage 1 Steelforged weapons from WoD are pretty 'realistic' looking (if not a little ornamental).
    (Shoulderplates of Everlasting Pain is a good substitute for the shoulders)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    And how is that relevant to PC? PCs are not villagers, they are best of the best and they get the gear that looks like a disneyland ride
    Jesus christ. You do realise this thread is about RP yeah? I'm talking about ROLEPLAYING.

Deleted
    Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish.
    I don't know if that was intended, but I like that pun a LOT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Have you ever considered that you are RP'ing in a fantasy game? "wearing armor that a human would actually wear" isn't what you should go for. The "fancy" new stuff, in a RP sense is probably the best to use, considering it is the most heroic gear, for your character, which is a hero, received for defeating your enemies. In my mind, a RP setting, if you are running around in billy basic armor, you are no hero. your RP persona hasn't defeated the Lich king, Deathwing, Kil' Jaeden e.t.c
    Who the said I wanted to be a hero? Why are you all obsessed with wanting to be a god-like persona? You do realise that there's more to WoW RP than being the BEST OF THE BEST yeah? You do realise that there are such things as Dun Morogh Mountaineers and so forth? It's not all about saving the world... There are plenty of factions/races/combinations that don't revolve around ultra heroic world saving shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jesus christ. You do realise this thread is about RP yeah? I'm talking about ROLEPLAYING.
    So you want to RP a villager fighting dragons? You do realize that they eat villagers? You can just strip down to your underwear and die - that's RPing a villager.

And yet, i fail to see how it's a somehow a bad thing that to wear peasant-looking armour you have to do 1-60 content

And i fail to see how it's a problem that you can't wear purple items while RPing a villager
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Anyone other RP'ers feel slightly annoyed that if you want to play a realistic looking medieval-esque character, your only options are ancient vanilla items? RPing is what I like to do most in WoW, but the choices for gear are so limited. Most of the gear that's 60+ just doesn't work well for RP as it's too fancy or outlandish. I'm sort of stuck with very low textured armour if I want to RP with some realism. I mean it's Legion and as an RP'er I feel like I'm always stuck in the past. The game looks and feels a lot better now but I'm still wearing gear from like 2006. It's a shame.
    Man, just this morning I was thinking the exact same thing. I was really wondering how you RPrs don't say a thing about this.
    I strongly support your post, I would like it as well if we were presented with new and better resolution "medieval" options of transmogs and such (as well as new models).

Deleted
    So you want to RP a villager fighting dragons? You do realize that they eat villagers? You can just strip down to your underwear and die - that's RPing a villager.

And yet, i fail to see how it's a somehow a bad thing that to wear peasant-looking armour you have to do 1-60 content

And i fail to see how it's a problem that you can't wear purple items while RPing a villager
    "So you want to RP a villager fighting dragons?".

Okay. I'm done. You're not even listening.

Let me spell it out for you: I don't want to RP as a hero. People do do that, you know that yeah? There are people who just RP as their own individual selves... Have you ever even been to an RP server? It actually quite annoys me that you have no scope. You're so ingrained in Blizzard's heroic mentality that you think of nothing but killing dragons and wanting to be an "omfg epic dude that's kickass, cool flame skulls dude" type of guy. Have you ever looked at an NPC? Do you even know that the majority of the world isn't level 110 heroes of Azeroth?
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-08-19 at 08:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    "So you want to RP a villager fighting dragons?".

Okay. I'm done. You're not even listening.
    That's you who constantly bring villagers NPCs into conversation, if you want to RP a villager- there are plenty of grey item options, you can just equip them and RP as much as you want

Deleted
    That's you who constantly bring villagers NPCs into conversation, if you want to RP a villager- there are plenty of grey item options, you can just equip them and RP as much as you want
    Annnnd you're an idiot. I know this. This is the WHOLE POINT OF THE THREAD, that if I want to do that, which I do, I'm stuck with low res textures.

Who the said I wanted to be a hero? Why are you all obsessed with wanting to be a god-like persona? You do realise that there's more to WoW RP than being the BEST OF THE BEST yeah? You do realise that there are such things as Dun Morogh Mountaineers and so forth? It's not all about saving the world... There are plenty of factions/races/combinations that don't revolve around ultra heroic world saving shit.
    Well, I'm no RP'er, I see literally no point in playing a game with the scope of wow and deciding to spend your time protecting a starting zone dressed as an NPC, each to their own I suppose, I can't see even as a RP'er not wanting to see all the game at the same time, so when you go into ToS dressed as a stormwind gaurd, is it not considered bad RP? A stormwind gaurd is not going to be in ToS, only heroes. Or do RP'ers not take the RP that seriously?

Deleted
    In this thread; people who don't understand what RP is and argue from their usual gameplay perspective.

I wish people would stop saying "wow is not meant to be realistic", from a regular gameplay perspective you're probably right, almost nothing you do makes sense. However, WoW is still an RPG (Role Playing Game), a whole world filled with characters, from their view Warcraft is their reality. A proper roleplayer immerses themself into this reality, and acts accordingly to what would be realistic and make sense. It follows that one would want to wear clothes/armour that are suitable for that viewpoint. The armour/weapons in WoW are not something anyone would ever wear ever as they are not only unrealistic but extremely impractical.

@OP, this thread would probably have been better served in the roleplaying section, perhaps then you would have avoided some of the more ignorant responses in here.

Deleted
    I must say it's somewhat strange that most posters don't seem to understand what the OP is saying. All he is asking for is more realistic looking RP sets. Those players that don't RP may not realize that most RP'ers play characters of low status and so wearing grand armour just doesn't fit their character. He's asking for high resolution gear that you might see an NPC in Stormwind wearing, (NPC's that don't kill deadly universe threatening enemies, unlike the player characters) like simple cloth and leathers.
    Last edited by mmoc30274401ab; 2017-08-19 at 08:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    Well, I'm no RP'er, I see literally no point in playing a game with the scope of wow and deciding to spend your time protecting a starting zone dressed as an NPC, each to their own I suppose, I can't see even as a RP'er not wanting to see all the game at the same time, so when you go into ToS dressed as a stormwind gaurd, is it not considered bad RP? A stormwind gaurd is not going to be in ToS, only heroes. Or do RP'ers not take the RP that seriously?
    Okay... Clearly I'm dealing with people who don't know how RP works at all.

You do know that when people RP they don't do it ALL the time, yeah? People still... play the game as normal. They still wear the current gear and do dungeons and raids and stuff. There is such a thing as OOC. Out of Character. I could RP as a simpler non-hero but five mins later I could be in a raid with my normal gear on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus93 View Post
    I must say it's somewhat strange that most posters don't seem to understand what the OP is saying. All he is asking for is more realistic looking RP sets. Those players that don't RP may not realize that most RP'ers play characters of low status and so wearing grand armour just doesn't fit there character. He's asking for high resolution gear that you might see an NPC in Stormwind wearing, (NPC's that don't kill deadly universe threatening enemies, unlike the player characters) like simple cloth and leathers.
    Exactly.

/10chars

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. I've just found the impossible. Look! Here's an actual NPC from OUTLAND (YES, THAT CRAZY OVER THE TOP XPAC) wearing realistic gear! In WoW!

Except of course you see this all the time.

And my point is proven.

Deleted

Wow. I've just found the impossible. Look!
    And to further drive home your point for those that still don't understand what you're talking about: That gear is low resolution. It'd be great if Blizzard added leather gear that met the current standard of textures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    In this thread; people who don't understand what RP is and argue from their usual gameplay perspective.

I wish people would stop saying "wow is not meant to be realistic", from a regular gameplay perspective you're probably right, almost nothing you do makes sense. However, WoW is still an RPG (Role Playing Game), a whole world filled with characters, from their view Warcraft is their reality. A proper roleplayer immerses themself into this reality, and acts accordingly to what would be realistic and make sense. It follows that one would want to wear clothes/armour that are suitable for that viewpoint. The armour/weapons in WoW are not something anyone would ever wear ever as they are not only unrealistic but extremely impractical.

@OP, this thread would probably have been better served in the roleplaying section, perhaps then you would have avoided some of the more ignorant responses in here.
    Thank you for giving me hope in humanity.

By the way, it's not just me. There's also this thread "I would like to go back to "normal" and realistic looking armor sets!".
    You'd think that after 10 years of expansions it would eventually sink in that this small minority is not going to be catered to. I mean, I don't think there's anything WRONG with what you want, but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get it with WoW.

Most of the base bits of new gear isn't that over the top. Just use something recent and hide the shoulders/belt/helm or use a matching piece from an old set and you're good to go.