Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post

Meanwhile, Naughty Dog as of late has basically been Sony's, and I swore they did have a deal of some sort actually.

actually, yeah, acquired by Sony in 2001 according to their wikipedia page. And I never said "zero", I said "I don't want him there, and he's not in the same situation as Cloud/Ryu".
    Naughty Dog holds no rights to Crash, Crash is owned by Activision.

I find it unlikely Crash comes to Smash, Just because its likely Sony has a deal with Activision right now for Crash (the remaster being a example).

That and there is many other characters they are more likely to come to smash.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

I find it unlikely Crash comes to Smash, Just because its likely Sony has a deal with Activision right now for Crash (the remaster being a example).

I must have mixed up developers and publishers then, whoops. Still, point still stands.

There's far more cooperation between Nintendo and Capcom, and Nintendo and Square Enix, than Nintendo and Activision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I must have mixed up developers and publishers then, whoops. Still, point still stands.

There's far more cooperation between Nintendo and Capcom, and Nintendo and Square Enix, than Nintendo and Activision.
    Oh I don't disagree at all and that is the other half on why I don't see it happening. The only time I have known Activision to work with Nintendo is when they did the Nintendo exclusive characters in Skylanders for Nintendo platforms only.

So between that and the fact its likely Sony has cut a deal with Activision on the Crash IP, I just don't see it happening.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Another heads up, there are heavy rumors the N Sane Trilogy is coming to the XBO later this year.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...button-prompts

Whether or not we see a Switch port is up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Another heads up, there are heavy rumors the N Sane Trilogy is coming to the XBO later this year.

Sony helped activision market the game in huge numbers so activision basically gave them a timed exclusive for that. After the success of the game it's definitely going MP on at least XBO and PC.

It would do well on the Switch as well but has activision even announced a single Switch game yet? Not sure.

Cool more people who buy and enjoy the game the better. I don't see it coming to The Switch without a graphical downgrade but it would be a cool game to have on it.

Cool more people who buy and enjoy the game the better. I don't see it coming to The Switch without a graphical downgrade but it would be a cool game to have on it.
    The game is nothing special graphically.

It's a remaster of the PS1 games not a remake. The only new model in the entire game is Crash a few other npc models, the rest is just touched up pre rendered backgrounds from the ps1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    The game is nothing special graphically.

It's a remaster of the PS1 games not a remake. The only new model in the entire game is Crash a few other npc models, the rest is just touched up pre rendered backgrounds from the ps1.
    It actually is a remaster considering all the technical finagling Naughty Dog did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea they don't officially release public NPD statements until the 3rd thursday these days but the shit still gets leaked on the 2nd thursday.

Splatoon is over 1.2 mil just from Japan and US physical numbers. Factor in digital and rest of world+august it should be closing in on 2 mil.

If they continue shipping 80k splatoon bundles to Japan a week and the give walmart a big supply of the splatoon 2 bundles game is going to be in the 4+ mil range by holiday season.
    Since shipments seem to be getting bigger, is everyone here confident the Switch will hit 7m sold by the end of this quarter or no? Thats 2.3m VS 1.9m from the past quarter.

11m by Dec 31st and 12.7m by March 31 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Since shipments seem to be getting bigger, is everyone here confident the Switch will hit 7m sold by the end of this quarter or no? Thats 2.3m VS 1.9m from the past quarter.

If they can sort this out i imagine it will replace the xbone in the number 2 spot of console sales in 2 or 3 years. If they can't? well all the desire in the world can't help them if the 3DS reaches total saturation in significant sale figures and the consumer tires of the Amiibo meme. Then its probably going to see a large shift to mobile where hardware production issues dont exist.

I fully expect at least 10 million by the end of the year.

By the first year anniversary? Who knows?

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like anywhere from 10m to 15m is possible depending on how much stock they can produce by March 31.

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/899066735726182400

A demo for Pokken Tournament DX is incoming soon.

I feel like anywhere from 10m to 15m is possible depending on how much stock they can produce by March 31.
    12.7 million by March 31st.

Predicting over Nintendo's estimate isn't really viable, the shipments have increased but mostly only in Japan. The US stock increase from June to July was sub 20k. The US probably won't see a massive increase like Japan has for Splatoon until Mario, and it will probably come at the expense of Japan just because it makes sense. 3D Mario is bigger in the US and Splatoon is bigger in Japan.

- - - Updated - - -

It actually is a remaster considering all the technical finagling Naughty Dog did.
    I said it was a remaster. Naughty Dog had nothing to do with the game btw.

Fuck, I must've been tired when I wrote that. I meant they are full remakes, and when I meant Naughty Dog, I meant the original trilogy.

It was to the point Sony was afraid the original game was going to brick PS1s.

Here's a nice big read:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/22/15...n-oral-history

- - - Updated - - -

Some quotes:

Once [Sony] decided they were going to publish it, they started really studying it, and they had this analyzer tool, which is like a hardware-based analyzer where they could sort of probe the [PlayStation] as it was running and see what the game was doing. The first thing that totally freaked them out was this idea that the game was constantly reading from the CD at 300 kilobytes a second, because their models of how long the [CD drive] would last [were] based on occasional access, not constant access. They were very worried that if they shipped this game, all the PlayStations in the world would break because their CD drives would melt.

There's tons of space on the disc, and in most cases they didn't even use it because there's just not enough memory. It would get two megs of RAM. So I had this idea about how you could use virtual memory [to] basically allow much bigger levels. Like, Crash levels ended up being 32 [to] 40 megs usually, but the machine's memory was only two. Almost everyone else's games had to fit their levels into whatever you're working memory was, like maybe a meg. ...

I had been experimenting with this on Way of the Warrior, and I was pretty sure that you could basically get the stuff on and off the pages [on] the CD into memory in time for them to be in the background. What that meant is that Crash loaded three 64K chunks — typically when you're playing the game it loaded three 64K chunks a second off the disc from various locations all over the disc. ... So you could hear the [disc reader] go "ee-eee-ee-ee-ee," if you'd listen to the machine as it's going and picking up these chunks of data constantly. ...

[I] I think it was Kelly Flock, who was one of the heads of [Sony], was like, "You're doing what with the CD?" He's like, "This is only rated for, like, 400,000 reads." I'm like, "Oh, that's kind of what we do if you were, like" — I calculated it out — "if you're playing for like three weeks." [laughs] Which isn't that long, you know?

Fortunately, they were very conservative in their estimate of the mean time between failure. I don't think there were any issues with CD-ROMs failing on the PlayStation 1, even though we pounded the crap out of the CD-ROM drive. ...

The other thing that we did that was sort of cheating was, when we started — and there were many years where this was true, at least until '97 — the official line from Sony was, "You have to use these APIs to do graphics." So they would give you this C library to draw polygons and things like that and they said, "If you don't do that, you're going to be banned. We won't release your game." Sort of like what Apple does now — you're not allowed to use internal APIs or they won't let you release your app. The problem was that that introduced a massive layer of indirection which made things slow. ...

We're like, "No. We're not going to do that; we don't care if they say you're not supposed to. We're just going to ignore that because it's stupid. It's just a dumb thing to do." So we didn't use their library and wrote our own assembly language code that essentially [did the same thing] as what their library was doing, just without having to be called from C and waste all this time with parameters pushed on the stack and popped off the stack, eliminating the memory usage. When they ran the game in their analyzer, they're like, "What the hell is going on here? We've never seen a game that looked anything like this in the analyzer. It's, like, using 99 percent of the graphics capabilities of the machine. Nothing does that. How is that even possible?" So that sort of freaked them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    12.7 million by March 31st.

Predicting over Nintendo's estimate isn't really viable, the shipments have increased but mostly only in Japan. The US stock increase from June to July was sub 20k. The US probably won't see a massive increase like Japan has for Splatoon until Mario, and it will probably come at the expense of Japan just because it makes sense. 3D Mario is bigger in the US and Splatoon is bigger in Japan.

- - - Updated - - -

Either way 11-13m in first year is a respectable number especially considering the limited number of consoles. I honestly believe the Switch could potentially outsell the Wiis first year if Nintendo got their shit together.

Either way 11-13m in first year is a respectable number especially considering the limited number of consoles. I honestly believe the Switch could potentially outsell the Wiis first year if Nintendo got their shit together.
    They wouldn't, the Wii's first year was a phenomenon and outside of Japan stock seems to be sitting on shelves longer and longer each month.

They key will be out selling the Wii's numbers in years 3 and 4, cause they ain't out selling 1 and 2. Remember the Wii outsold the DS launch aligned in years 1-2 and the DS went on to sell 50 mil more units.

They key is not losing momentum and player base, not having a cool fad that everyone buys and eventually pawns like what we saw with the Wii.

New concept art on Monolith Soft's web page:

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.destructoid.com/want-mor...n-455856.phtml

In an interview with Game Informer, Metroid series producer Yoshio Sakamoto said sales of Samus Returns will determine whether of not a new 2D Metroid game will be made.

10+ Year Old Account
    New concept art on Monolith Soft's web page:

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.destructoid.com/want-mor...n-455856.phtml

In an interview with Game Informer, Metroid series producer Yoshio Sakamoto said sales of Samus Returns will determine whether of not a new 2D Metroid game will be made.
    What switch game is mono making again?

- - - Updated - - -

They wouldn't, the Wii's first year was a phenomenon and outside of Japan stock seems to be sitting on shelves longer and longer each month.

They key will be out selling the Wii's numbers in years 3 and 4, cause they ain't out selling 1 and 2. Remember the Wii outsold the DS launch aligned in years 1-2 and the DS went on to sell 50 mil more units.

They key is not losing momentum and player base, not having a cool fad that everyone buys and eventually pawns like what we saw with the Wii.
    I mean games are announced every day. Not many big ones yet, but we will hopefully start seeing those announced next year. If not, im content with the kind of games that are coming either way. Maybe not good enough to achieve Wii success, but I do think Switch will sell 3ds numbers lifetime as long as the 1st party games are good and regular, and as long as the Switch keeps getting the vita and 3ds games from now on.

I mean games are announced every day. Not many big ones yet, but we will hopefully start seeing those announced next year. If not, im content with the kind of games that are coming either way. Maybe not good enough to achieve Wii success, but I do think Switch will sell 3ds numbers lifetime as long as the 1st party games are good and regular, and as long as the Switch keeps getting the vita and 3ds games from now on.
    The Switch will be a failure if it only does 3DS numbers.

It should do around 85 mil minimum to be a real success story, as that is what the Wii U and 3DS will be combined and what the Switch basically is. I personally think if Nintendo doesn't shit the bed it should do in the 90-95 mil range.

Nintendo needs to get the Switch or a cheaper revision of the Switch at $200 next holiday season and ship an ass load of them. That can be when the install base really takes off. Just like Holiday 2014 was for the PS4.

- - - Updated - - -

New concept art on Monolith Soft's web page
    And they're hiring for an "action game".

The 2nd piece in particular looks like a damn Dark Souls game lol.