Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Doesn't answer the question I asked at all.

Why would I need a piece of paper and a ring to signify that I love someone?
    Why would said things make any difference to a relationship if both partners aren't interested in wasting money that could be used as part payment for a house?
    Stop being practical, it's all about the feels!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How many world leaders aren't married?
    Does being a world leader somehow make them immune from being imbeciles?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    What children think of their parents relationship is going to shape how they are in their own when they are older. What a naive thing to say.
    Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that the parents have to sacrifice their own happiness to make sure the children have the "right" perspective. That view is naive.

And there is no other message that can be sent to a partner after 10+years together and they are still just shacking up. Oh you can TRY to sugar coat it, but the underlying message is so very clear.
    The only message being sent is that believing that marriage is a necessity for a successful relationship is ignorant and petty.

If you have to ask for a prenup, you've been taken to the cleaners before, and are paranoid of it happening again, which means you shouldn't be getting married ever again.
    A prenup is nothing more than an insurance policy on your assets. If the marriage fails, you're protected. It's really that simple. Your argument isn't even logical, much less rational.

The examples you've given are of a society that takes a casual approach to marriage, which is why the OP's article exists to begin with.
    Marriage should be taken more seriously. Then there will be less people who don't really want to be married getting married.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanknasty View Post
    Describe how they coincide good sir.
    They don't. You can be successful/powerful without being married and you can be married without being successful/powerful. There is no correlation.

Well the fastest growing segment of the population in North America is the Amish. Current Amish projections:

2050: 1 million Amish
    2100: 6 million
    2200: 200 million
    2300: North America is majority Amish

The Amish started out in Eastern Pennsylvania. They currently occupy areas in 30 states and are spreading.

21st century: Amish colonize all 49 states (not Hawaii) and begin to exert political pressure on several counties
    22nd century: Amish gain total control of several counties. Pennsylvania and Ohio are the first states to become majority Amish.
    23rd century: Most midwest states become majority Amish. Large urban centers remain as the last holdouts until they convert as well.

The Amish currently convert no-one. When they get large enough, they will likely begin converting large numbers of non-Amish people into Amish, so their growth rate is conservative in this projection. Its more likely that by 2200, they will covert hundreds of millions. So we could be looking at 300-400 million Amish by 2200.

All other demographics are just getting overpowered by the Amish birth rate. Amish is the future.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2017-08-20 at 02:52 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Doesn't answer the question I asked at all.

Why would I need a piece of paper and a ring to signify that I love someone?
    Why would said things make any difference to a relationship if both partners aren't interested in wasting money that could be used as part payment for a house?
    Marriage paperworks costs ~$200. That's not a part of a payment for a house, it's a single expensive dinner.

This cost is easily recouped in pragmatic legal and tax benefits.

The primary reason people don't get married is a straightforward lack of willingness to commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Growing up in an intact married home increases the likelihood of children getting good grades and graduating from high school and college, even when accounting for socioeconomic factors. Having married parents is also correlated with a lower likelihood of children participating in risky behaviours, like drug abuse or early sexual initiation.
    Do you have a link to any studies showing this? There wasn't one in that article.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you love the person your with then leave it at that and don't get married. All marriage does is get in the way. For starters a wedding is way to much money and for what, a party? Then if/when the love fades and you want to leave it becomes a nightmare. You don't need marriage for to live together or have kids so why do it? If you want to have a big party to just to show off your love then do that. Don't lock your self into a binding legal contract.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    A prenup is nothing more than an insurance policy on your assets. If the marriage fails, you're protected. It's really that simple. Your argument isn't even logical, much less rational.
    Except that doesn't apply everywhere. A Prenup is not legally binding in the UK.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    All other demographics are just getting overpowered by the Amish birth rate. Amish is the future.
    TIL: Sister-wives are the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The primary reason people don't get married is a straightforward lack of willingness to commit.
    If you mean a lack of willingness to "commit" to a legally binding contract that depends on the success of the relationship and lack of willingness to "commit" to one intimate partner for the rest of your life, then OK.

Except that doesn't apply everywhere. A Prenup is not legally binding in the UK.
    Didn't say it was. I was merely explaining how it's not indicative of a lack of trust or a belief that the marriage will fail.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-08-20 at 02:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Well the fastest growing segment of the population in North America is the Amish. Current Amish projections:

2050: 1 million Amish
    2100: 6 million
    2200: 200 million
    2300: North America is majority Amish

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Marriage paperworks costs ~$200. That's not a part of a payment for a house, it's a single expensive dinner.

This cost is easily recouped in pragmatic legal and tax benefits.

Ah, but you miss something important. Getting married means a WEDDING WITH PEOPLE AND THINGS!!! Not having that MUST mean you are poor and don't care. Weddings these days cost a silly amount of money to have a nice one with all the "right" things. Peer pressure and all that.

Got a buddy who just dropped 1 million on a house in Toronto and his marriage is taking a turn for the worst. No pre-nup. If they move in and spend some time in the house, she gets half.

Marriage ain't all its cracked up to be.

78% of Canadians do? weird, i'm Canadian, i never did a poll? sounds random numbers thrown together, unless they just asked 1000 people and based it off that, makes sense.

[QUOTE=Mistame;47024371]If you mean a lack of willingness to "commit" to a legally binding contract that depends on the success of the relationship and lack of willingness to "commit" to one intimate partner for the rest of your life, then OK. /QUOTE]
    Yes, that's pretty much it means. I understand that many people look at that and think they either aren't capable or aren't interested. I guess that's fine. It's probably not great for a society, but that's not really an individual's problem. But yeah, an unwillingness to substantially commit to a lifetime with someone is the big reason to not get married and most of the rest is window dressing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, but you miss something important. Getting married means a WEDDING WITH PEOPLE AND THINGS!!! Not having that MUST mean you are poor and don't care. Weddings these days cost a silly amount of money to have a nice one with all the "right" things. Peer pressure and all that.
    *shrug*

Cost me a couple hundred bucks. It actually is true that I had a few friends that were upset with me that I didn't invite them. They're either over it already or don't really know me that well anyway if they think expensive parties to celebrate me are the sorts of things I'd like.

But yeah, point well taken. Lot of showiness that's pretty counterproductive goes on and is highly societally sanctioned for some reason.

Man, I know this is MMO Champ, but some super cynical people here.

I paid a bottle of jack for my wedding, because my friend was registered to perform marriages, so there's no way that coulda been a payment on the house. We get discounted rent for being married, super weird I know, but there it is, plus tax benefits, double coverage for insurance... I dunno. It's pretty much only been beneficial for me. As far as the person you love now not being the same in 10 years, you're right about that, whoever said it. It's only been 5 and I can say my wife is pretty different, and I know I am, but I feel like you have every day to learn about the new person and just fall in love with them too.

Making a marriage work IS work, but it doesn't have to be hard work.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Marriage is a doomed institution in the west, and I say that as a married person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Just dont get married and don't have gross children.

The end.

I've been married for 4 years now there are positives and negatives. But if we're being honest the majority of people ranting against marriage dont have a choice one way or the other so Id take their advice with a grain of salt.

This is not relevant. Once again, you're trying to push the same retarded drivel. Being married does not make you more successful (or powerful).
    It's almost like you are this insulated from reality to know what marriages of convenience are.

Unless of course, you decided your definition of "successful" involves some esoteric and self-righteous morality. As is the case with you in pretty much every post you make.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Spectral;47024446]
    *shrug*

Cost me a couple hundred bucks. It actually is true that I had a few friends that were upset with me that I didn't invite them. They're either over it already or don't really know me that well anyway if they think expensive parties to celebrate me are the sorts of things I'd like.

But yeah, point well taken. Lot of showiness that's pretty counterproductive goes on and is highly societally sanctioned for some reason.
    Now, what you did there? Yes, I have no issues with it. A small family thing is what it SHOULD be. But for some reason, unless you have a super massive 10K+ wedding, it's seen as bad by stuck up superficial cunts.