Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Lessons in Navigating Rape Culture with Mandi Gray

http://torontoist.com/2017/08/lesson...re-mandi-gray/

A yet-to-be-released film follows the Toronto activist through her experiences in the justice system after the alleged rape by a fellow York University student.

Do you know what to do after being raped, or how to help a friend or family member after they have been? What resources are out there, what does the justice system look like? Slut or Nut: The Diary of a Rape Trial, which follows Toronto’s Mandi Gray and her experiences in the justice system after being allegedly raped, aims to answer these questions. On August 9, Another Jane Doe Productions hosted a private screening of the 70-minute feature-length documentary at CineCycle. The screening was to show the film to those who have worked on, appeared in, or donated toward it.

Writer and activist Jane Doe, who appears in the film and attended the screening, says, “Slut or Nut allows us into the personal, political, and legal journey of Mandi Gray, a woman who was raped, and chronicles her treatment by the police, her university, social media, and the justice system.

“Ignoring the role of traumatized victim that sexually assaulted women are expected to play, Gray turns to activism to address her experience,” Doe adds.

Gray obtained her own lawyer, which those who are raped are told not to do. That’s because, in the eyes of the state, they are witnesses to the crime, and the crown represents the state’s interest. She contacted the media, and she connected with filmmaker Kelly Showker. Doe, who maintains a publication ban on her name, says that the film takes an approach no film on the subject has taken before, as the filmmakers “utilize joy and resistance, horror, and in your face subversion to take us inside a legal system that doesn’t work for sexually assaulted women—and never did.”

Slut or Nut is named after something criminal lawyer David Butt said in the film, that a rape victim is either painted as a slut or a nut.
    The film gives information around available options within the Canadian legal and health care systems, including therapy. It explains what it is like to have a Sexual Assault Evidence Kit, commonly known as the “rape kit” done, for example. The film also explains the criminal and civil court process. In order to explain these processes, people from different backgrounds are interviewed. People like Doe and Butt, as well as justice lawyer Joanna Birenbaum, Women at the Centre executive director Nneka MacGregor, Silence is Violence University of Toronto chapter founder Ellie Ade Kur, sexual abuse assault lawyer Simona Jellinek, and psychotherapist and novelist Farzana Doctor.

Stories and thoughts are also shared throughout the film by those who have experienced sexual assault and rape. One of these people is Coming Forward founder Linda Christina Redgrave. When Gray was on the stand during Mustafa Ururyar’s rape trial, she was only a floor above Redgrave, “Witness No. 1” in

“I think Slut or Nut will help bring forward the reality of what happens after rape and a rape trial,” says Redgrave, “Hopefully this film inspires people to take action, to help change this flawed system.”

The film has a DIY aesthetic; a scrapbook, zine-like feel, much like Doe’s own book, The Story of Jane Doe. The film seems to do this for a couple of reasons, one is to illustrate the importance of documenting everything, and the other is to appeal to younger audiences. The visual diary uses motion graphics, animation, and social media references, in addition to news footage, film footage, and Gray’s own video diaries.

The work of Toronto artist Hana Shafi, a.k.a. Frizz Kid, is heavily featured. The art is brought to life, similar to Kurt Cobain’s treatment in the 2015 documentary Cobain: Montage of Heck. Shafi is becoming well known on social media for her affirmation artwork, with messages such as “Healing is not linear,” and “You define what self care means to you.” Composer Lora Bidner created music for the film and acted as music supervisor. Bidner paired music with the artwork, adding the affirmations in lyrics. “I never thought in a million years that I would get to see my work like that, just brought to life and used in such an impactful way,” says Shafi, who will be selling art at the upcoming Toronto Fan Expo. “So cool.”

It’s worth noting that the team at Another Jane Doe Productions used a production crew staffed predominantly by women. All members are directly affected by rape culture and experiences of sexual assault.

Clips of the film have been used by the team while hosting public discussions, like at York University and Trent University; however, the film is not yet public. In fact, this screening was the first time Gray herself saw the final cut. “It was amazing to share the last two years of my life with the people who have supported me through it all. At the same time, I never want to watch it again. Watching the most traumatizing years of my life was also emotionally exhausting,” she says.
    Mandi

Mandi Gray speaking at the screening of Slut or Nut: The Diary of a Rape Trial at CineCycle August 9. Photo via Facebook.

Showker says that they are now applying to major film festivals, and hope to do an international and Canadian festival run before releasing the film on YouTube. Gray says that the feedback from the film has been great so far, and that a lot of people want to use it as a teaching tool. YWCA CEO Maya Roy is excited to show the film, saying, “It is important that women, girls, and trans people see a realistic portrayal of how the legal system demonizes rape survivors.”

The film shows how systematic discrimination serves as barriers for those who have experienced sexual violence, but Gray notes that sexual violence is complex and involves many intersections. “I hope that the film is a starting place and inspires others to take up creative and analytical work to talk about sexual assault and the personal cost it has.”

Ururyar’s rape trial began February 1, 2016. Gray was on the stand for four days, while he was on it for half a day. Though he was found guilty of rape in July 2016, his conviction was recently appealed. As she states in the film, which was completed before the conviction was appealed, those who believe will be the same people who always will, and those who do not believe her never will. But, as she told media after the July 20 appeal decision, “I never needed any man to tell me whether I have been raped or not.”

What do you make of this?
    It's strange how she is able to get all of this coverage without showing any evidence.

For the record, she had gotten her alleged rapist found guilty by the criminal system in a he said she said case. However it got overturned by another judge in the appeal.

What effect will this video have on the current sexual assault climate at universities?

10+ Year Old Account
    It will remain a disaster until courts and institutions get raked over the coals and forced to fix its problem. Better that just is slower and accurate.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, rape. Where no matter what, the mans life is destroyed. I'll let you in on a little secret.

I was charged with rape when I was 15. I was arrested after an accusation from a female who wanted me, but I was interested in her friend. After her friend and I started kissing, she went mad at me and I laughed at her. So she said I raped her and spread this news all around, saying she was afraid to come forward about it. I had people calling me names in the street. There was one problem with this accusation. At the time this rape was meant to take place, I was in another country 4000 miles away. I had left on the Wednesday. The "rape" occurred on the Saturday. She called police on the Tuesday, and I came back to UK on the Wednesday (A week after I left). Even though I proved to people I WASN'T IN THE COUNTRY, and the police verified this, I was still called names by randoms on the street. She later admitted it was bullshit and she was sorry, but nothing happened to her, nothing. Police wouldn't press charges as she committed no crime.

Also, did you know that a woman legally cannot rape a man under UK law?

Rape culture isn't real.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Ah, rape. Where no matter what, the mans life is destroyed. I'll let you in on a little secret.
    So destroyed that one can rape a minor and still win Oscars.

Is this her?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Rape culture isn't real.
    Sure is. Victim blaming, hostility towards victims by both law enforcement and communities, laughably short sentences and low conviction rates. General downplaying of the problem "boys will be boys". Prevalent myths like "no means yes" and "asking for it". Society has quite the disdain for people who fall victim and even more so who dare to speak up.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    But then you have shit like this as well: https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013...lways-rape-ok/

The comments there make me want to campaign to legally stop these people from breeding in anyway. Infact, they should be classed as mentally ill and locked away and forgotten about. It's shit like this that encourages false rape accusations. There was that cade not too long ago of that university girl who accused a guy of raping her. Thankfully videos proved otherwise, or he was going to jail for some bitch regretting sex in the morning. That simple fact is why I will never have a one night stand. Having gone through the bullshit of false rape accusations before, never again.

And I hear females asking where all the good men are? The fuck away from silly cows like you, sweetheart.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yeah, no. People are outraged when someone claims they are raped no matter how true it is, so much so that it's become a meme that women can get out of things by saying they were raped.

And the conviction rates are low because its a hard crime to prove, not because of misogyny.

- - - Updated - - -

Woman says "I was raped"
    Man says "I didn't rape her"

That's literally all you have as a prosecutor sometimes... How can you expect to convict someone?
    Yup, as we see here above ^^^ rape myths. Rape culture. Case in point.

I don't know what happened to her, but it sure left her with some dead, blank eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Yup, as we see here above ^^^ rape myths. Rape culture. Case in point.
    It's not a myth when there is evidence.

What about what I said is a rape myth?
    Women can just claim rape to get out of stuff. Super common.

10+ Year Old Account
    Women can just claim rape to get out of stuff. Super common.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07...e-stories.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pe-claims.html

2 different sources. 2 different stories. Stop with the bullshit. I'm not saying every case is like this but it does happen.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    My god, man the fucking harpoons....

They can lol.

I've literally had it happen to me before, so you trying to tell me specifically that it's a myth is really really funny.
    Nice anecdote.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice anecdote.
    Your claim doesn't need any evidence to refute. Are you gonna read the other posts in the fucking thread or are you gonna keep spewing bullshit?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What do you make of this?
    It's strange how she is able to get all of this coverage without showing any evidence.

For the record, she had gotten her alleged rapist found guilty by the criminal system in a he said she said case. However it got overturned by another judge in the appeal.

What effect will this video have on the current sexual assault climate at universities?
    We will let you in on a little secret... THIS ^^ is exactly one of the reasons the marriage rate is falling. THIS ^^ exactly is why the sex bot industry will take off like a rocket.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice anecdote.
    Do you ever say anything that isn't from an american intersectional feminist? Don't you get bored rping all the time?

You said something is a myth so all I need to defeat that is a personal anecdote. If you had said "Uncommon" or something then "Nice anecdote" would actually be a response, but you said it doesn't happen.
    You said it is a common (so often it is a meme) occurrence that women cry rape to get out of "things" and people are vigorously believing them (people being outraged).

So, where is the false rape accusation epidemic that ruins swaths of men over mundane things?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    the sex bot industry
    Sex bot? I'm interested....... Tell me more.