Poll: Batman or Superman?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think there's a lot of reasons why Batman is more interesting than Superman.

Batman is a superhero because of his gear and his will to change things. Superman is an alien with otherworldly powers.

Batman is not a patriotic character - at the very least, not in any way as much as Superman (who wears the US colors on his suit).

Batman is flawed as a person, whereas Superman feels like he's Mr. Perfect.

Likewise, Batman is not invincible, whereas Superman is virtually invincible.

There's a lot of things that simply make Batman more relatable to people, so that makes him just that much more interesting.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

All I know is whenever I go to a Superman movie on tv, hes getting his head smashed through a wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    Ah come on Granyala, there's several possible reasons for it. A few that would get us banned here like pointing out a deficite in his mental capacity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
    Man I swear, every time someone uses the term 'Critical Thinking' I want to pop em in the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That was just The Dark Knight. DK Rises is the Bane flick. DK Returns is animated.

This is my favorite Batman.

Yep, got a brain fart.

First good, Second better, Third meh. From Nolan trilogy.

And Dark Knight Return better than entire trilogy combined :P

I've never liked super heroes. Superman is the most boring though, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    I think there's a lot of reasons why Batman is more interesting than Superman.

Batman is a superhero because of his gear and his will to change things. Superman is an alien with otherworldly powers.

Batman is not a patriotic character - at the very least, not in any way as much as Superman (who wears the US colors on his suit).

Batman is flawed as a person, whereas Superman feels like he's Mr. Perfect.

Likewise, Batman is not invincible, whereas Superman is virtually invincible.

There's a lot of things that simply make Batman more relatable to people, so that makes him just that much more interesting.
    Superman powers come from earth sun.

Superman abandoned his US citizenship and became the citizen of earth so to speak about his affiliation.

Superman is deeply flawed also. I say much more than Batman.

Superman is so invincible he was the first major death in superhero comics. He is helpless to magic attacks also.

Batman is more interesting because he has better stories and rogues gallery. He is edgelord who shit bats on occasions. You know, the dark, gritty, "mature" superhero who teenagers love.

And BTW - i prefer Batman but not because of adult bilionair playboy playing cosplays but because of stories and villains.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteEagle888 View Post
    If so why?
    Popular as in who's more widely known world wide? Superman. By a huge margin. His brand is world-wide and has been for generations upon generations. He's the defacto definition of the term "superhero."

Popular as in who's preferred between the two? Completely dependent upon the individual. And it wouldn't matter who was either way, because it is an individual decision. Unless you're a complete idiot who can only like things if someone tells you you should like it so you can fit in with the majority. In which case, no one gives a fuck what your "opinion" is anyway, thereby demonstrating just how fucking pointless it is all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    It proves that superman is as fallible as any other character and is not the paragon of justice that you or anyone else makes him out to be.
    Injustice isnt canon. As far as i know it is the same as fanfiction with superman banging batboy.

The most interesting thing about Superman is that Lex Luthor is right: Earth should not be dependent on an alien to protect it.

Note: This does not mean that I do not realize that Lex Luthor is a self-serving megalomaniac. Or was. Or is. I don't know, last I heard he was part of the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    I guess I'll go against the tide and say that Superman is more popular, or at least holded the popularity lead for a longer time. Superman is a worldwide iconic superhero of good. He's an alien raised as a farm boy who then decide that the Earth and the humans are worth fighting for it. He's the classic superhero.
    Batman is an iconic Anti-Hero of good. A rich man with a tragic familly past who overcome his fear to become a weapon himself. He's a brillant detective and amazing fighter + all the gadget he have. He may have become more popular lately with all the movies (Dark Knight series) and now with Justice League, but IMO Superman is/was better known worldwide.

They might be very close now, probably Batman is leading now, since younger audience (20- y/o people) have seen more Batman stuff then Superman stuff.
    Its funny, but i always related more with Superman, Flash and others OP chars than Bats. I can stomach that some alien is superduper powered. Suspension of disbelief works.

But some things Bats get away with.. uh.

Quote Originally Posted by epLe View Post
    This comparison is as old and bad as the movie.

Superman is rated E (for everyone) and appeals to a very young audience, he is the Donald Duck of superheroes.
    Batman on the other hand is way more nuanced, and most of the batman comics is rated M (mature).

So kids would naturally vote superman, but in general batman is a way more interesting and adult comic.
    Are you Bizzaro? You sound like him...

As others have said, Superman is invincible... its easy to stand up for your beliefs when it won't cost you anything. Its another thing when it could cost you everything.

Captain America is a better version of Superman.

Going *against* Superman is a more compelling story, imo.

I mean.. batman could just donate his money to charities to help far more people around the world than he alone ever could or fund a mass evacuation from gotham. That place is a shithole.

What is the reasoning for people raising their kids there? They are probably the worst parents for endangering their kids by living there.

10+ Year Old Account
    try to relate to a god who try to live with humans, or a human whose superpower is loads of cash and his brain
    which one can u relate to more ?
    I still think superman is one of best however, the icon of most powerful superhero
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Deleted
    Batman is more relatable, since he has no powers. Also because he has his flawys and Superman is the perfect boy scout.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    try to relate to a god who try to live with humans, or a human whose superpower is loads of cash and his brain
    which one can u relate to more ?
    I still think superman is one of best however, the icon of most powerful superhero
    Well, I'm no closer to being a billionaire-ninja-supergenius orphan with PTSD than I am to being an actual alien with Superpowers...so I don't really find either one of them very relatable.

Clark Kent, as a person, is more relatable than Bruce Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Clark Kent, as a person, is more relatable than Bruce Wayne.
    Hiding godlike powers for funsies is more relatable than having a secret you don't want others to know?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    Lol you've missed the point about Superman.
    You describe him as a Merry Sue he is so much more then that.
    The problem though, is that for every 1 story that actually properly showcase the possibility of superman, and what he inherently represents, there are 99 stories that pretty much focus on the Mary Sue part. Add to that the fact that the "good" stories about superman usually end up being way too cerebral / existential for the typical comic book reader and you start to see the problem.

The main problem with supes is that it is almost more interesting to look at how he behaves when he starts to lose faith, to lose his way under the crushing weight of always being the morally right demigod among mortals, than it is to look at him when he is being supes.
    The whole Red Son alternate what if storyline for example.

Sadly, the reality is that if someone like supes actually did exist, it is almost certain that there is a much greater chance you end up with Dr. Manhattan than Superman when all is said and done.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-08-20 at 11:10 AM.

Superman just for the fact that Batman is literally an ass 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    As others have said, Superman is invincible... its easy to stand up for your beliefs when it won't cost you anything. Its another thing when it could cost you everything.
    He's not invincible. He's already died once and he's been defeated without the use of kryptonite on multiple occasions.

Better Superman stories involve the use of his intelligence. You can't solve everything your fists or heat vision. Superman's powers are actually very limited. He's extremely powerful with what he has but that doesn't mean he can do everything. Even when he's been de-powered, he still fights for what's right.

Batman is inherently flawed and mortal, which makes him a tragic hero. Superman is a cookie cutter immortal, which makes him lame.