Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Help a poor student out?

Hi everyone,
    I'm a 4th year psychology student, no I can't read minds and no I don't want to study you in a lab. However I could really use your help with my survey, I want to know more about WoW players and I want to go straight to the source.
    I can't post links yet because I'm still too new to the site.... but I'd love to know just generally if you have any opinions on "Internet Gaming Disorder"
    It's a recent addition to the DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual) and it's a topic of wide debate
    Peace!
    R

Can we have more info and details?

--SNIP-

Don't post spam
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2017-08-21 at 05:15 PM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things.

1) DSM-5 does not list Internet Gaming Addiction as a mental disorder. It has simply been noted that it requires more research.
    2) While I don't have a lot of information personally, I'm under the impression a lot of agencies are abandoning DSM-5 for ICD-10, and have been for years. I would personally question it's use at this point from a "I'm not a professional but still need to have opinions with minor education on the topic"
    3) It's really nothing special. It's just an indicator of addiction, and you can replace "gaming" with whatever vice you have. It's literally a scale of "Does it a lot" "stops doing other things" "Gets upset when they cant do it" "tried to quit and couldnt" and "has withdrawl when they cant". Put whatever vice you want and the results are the same. There's not a lot of discussion to be had.

Gaming Addiction is pretty well known, just like any addiction. It has little to do with games, and a lot to do with people's heads.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A few things.

1) DSM-5 does not list Internet Gaming Addiction as a mental disorder. It has simply been noted that it requires more research.
    2) While I don't have a lot of information personally, I'm under the impression a lot of agencies are abandoning DSM-5 for ICD-10, and have been for years. I would personally question it's use at this point from a "I'm not a professional but still need to have opinions with minor education on the topic"
    3) It's really nothing special. It's just an indicator of addiction, and you can replace "gaming" with whatever vice you have. It's literally a scale of "Does it a lot" "stops doing other things" "Gets upset when they cant do it" "tried to quit and couldnt" and "has withdrawl when they cant". Put whatever vice you want and the results are the same. There's not a lot of discussion to be had.

Gaming Addiction is pretty well known, just like any addiction. It has little to do with games, and a lot to do with people's heads.
    This is basically what I wanted to say but a lot better written.

Deleted
    There seem to be a few fanboys on here with a gaming disorder. They seem to think that anything with a Blizzard logo on the box is amazing regardless of how utter toilet it sometimes is.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    There seem to be a few fanboys on here with a gaming disorder. They seem to think that anything with a Blizzard logo on the box is amazing regardless of how utter toilet it sometimes is.
    It's because that proved to be true right up until something happened, not sure why or when but the magic just vanished.

Grats on the gender studies degree OP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Deleted
    There are also haters and armchair devs here who cant let it go when game doesnt go their way. Something like keeping stalking ex-bf/gf after being told "no" repeatedly.

And the same can be said for the reverse.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    Grats on the gender studies degree OP
    It's not something you learn in psychology btw. But I guess your low intelligence prevents you from knowing that.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    It's because that proved to be true right up until something happened, not sure why or when but the magic just vanished.
    *cough* Activision *cough*

Deleted
    And than theres the other group that claims everything these days is just trash...

Deleted
    There you go, Ive even found a few for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Psychology in 2017. Good fucking luck getting a job when you graduate m8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilir View Post
    It's not something you learn in psychology btw. But I guess your low intelligence prevents you from knowing that.
    /r/iamverysmart

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

A few things.

Bolded is not accurate. DSM-5 provides clinicians with the criteria and definitions to accurately determine a patient’s diagnosis by thoroughly describing disorders (specifically, mental disorders). ICD-10 simply provides a code number once the diagnosis has been established, and ICD-10 is the HIPAA-approved code set for reporting diagnoses for reimbursement purposes. ICD-10 includes not only the mental disorders described by the DSM-5, but also conditions and diseases of all the body systems.

Agencies are not abandoning DSM-5 in favor of ICD-10, they are two different things for different purposes.
    Only a great fool would vote for a lunatic. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate on the Right.

But they must have known I was not a great fool, and would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the corrupt candidate on the Left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeCreeper View Post
    Bolded is not accurate. DSM-5 provides clinicians with the criteria and definitions to accurately determine a patient’s diagnosis by thoroughly describing disorders (specifically, mental disorders). ICD-10 simply provides a code number once the diagnosis has been established, and ICD-10 is the HIPAA-approved code set for reporting diagnoses for reimbursement purposes. ICD-10 includes not only the mental disorders described by the DSM-5, but also conditions and diseases of all the body systems.

Agencies are not abandoning DSM-5 in favor of ICD-10, they are two different things for different purposes.
    Again, I'm no expert. But the meager research I've done says otherwise. From my understanding, DSM is a US governed system. ICD is international. ICD also definitely does a lot more than what you say, and I don't even need to be a professional to know that. Even if agencies (again, years ago, when DSM-5 was still being approved) aren't changing over, enough are switching from one to they other to indicate that they aren't 'different things for different purposes'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'd compare "internet gaming addiction" to a gambling addiction. The primary thing that drives people to spend the time they do in games is the reward structure. Reward structures can vary but online gaming tends to "take advantage" of it the most. Most online games have some sort of carrot on a stick. Regardless of how intangible it might be, there are always people who will seek after the rewards. This can apply to the most hardcore players or casuals. Really the only thing that seperates the two is the content they pursue. A "hardcore" online gamer probably seeks to be the best, obtaining something that only 1% of the player base can get makes them feel special and rewarded for their efforts. Others prefer the pure RNG, it may not take effort but getting lucky enough to have something unique is still special and worth seeking out.

Even if something is not exclusive the idea of a "carrot on a stick" can drive many players. In Legion, every class order hall has a perk that gives quest rewards a chance to upgrade in quality. This reward is kind of silly considering that any player will likely replace the gear they get while leveling fairly quickly, but the perk still has a big appeal. Why? Because there is a satisfaction in seeing that green quest reward turn into a blue or purple one. Even going beyond multiplayer games, the biggest way many single player games find replayability is by turning them into something "rewarding." Making the high score or doing the fastest speedrun give a life to many single player games that persist long after the initial playthrough is completed. The "potential" of being rewarded is easily the single biggest factor in "online gaming addiction." The nature of the rewards is largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Seramore View Post
    Psychology in 2017. Good fucking luck getting a job when you graduate m8.

- - - Updated - - -

/r/iamverysmart
    Where did I say I was very smart ? I'm just not dumb. There's a difference, but apparently it's too subtle for you

Homophobia is so gay.

Again, I'm no expert. But the meager research I've done says otherwise. From my understanding, DSM is a US governed system. ICD is international. ICD also definitely does a lot more than what you say, and I don't even need to be a professional to know that. Even if agencies (again, years ago, when DSM-5 was still being approved) aren't changing over, enough are switching from one to they other to indicate that they aren't 'different things for different purposes'.
    Again, that is not accurate. Agencies are not switching from DSM-5 to ICD-10. They serve 2 different purposes. Simply do a google search to look at the contents of DSM-5 and ICD-10. They are different. I know you are no expert, that is apparent from what you typed. The major agency to leave the DSM (before the release of 5th edition) was NIMH, but it was not to go to ICD-10, it was to develop a more precise diagnostic system based on biologic markers, not just symptoms. Yes, ICD-10 does more than what I said. I felt no need to go into detail when speaking to someone claiming not to be an expert. ICD-10 does offer descriptions and distinguishes symptoms of disease. But not presented in a way that would be diagnostic. DSM-5 presents the information in a way that is diagnostic. DSM-5 offers more detail in this regard (limited to mental health).

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pointless argument. I was simply letting you know why what you stated was not accurate. You do not have to believe me. But if you are actually interested, do a little more research into what purpose each serves. Based on your 2 posts, I think it might surprise you.
    Only a great fool would vote for a lunatic. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the candidate on the Right.

But they must have known I was not a great fool, and would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the corrupt candidate on the Left.