Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    But not confederates, as the traitors lost, what a shock! So why should they get praised again?
    They need their participation trophy or else their self-esteem will be hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    But not confederates, as the traitors lost, what a shock! So why should they get praised again?
    So you're promoting a Black and White outlook on society. Where everything must be measured and discarded as for. Just for this reasoning, Defacing statues of Nelson Mandela is 100% Okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Confederate is to Jacobite as Scottish is to Virginian........

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    They need their participation trophy or else their self-esteem will be hurt.
    kinda the whole point

Confederates are not the only statues erected by losing sides in the world
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    So you're promoting a Black and White outlook on society. Where everything must be measured and discarded as for. Just for this reasoning, Defacing statues of Nelson Mandela is 100% Okay.
    He was a traitor after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Professors like the ones in the article pass on very illiberal ideas to their students. They think erasing past figures that offend them will make the world a better place.
    There is a difference between trying to erase history and removing the idolization of historical "bad guys". We don't want to remove Hitler from the history books, but we're not eager to build "heroic" statues of him either.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont worry. Someone will get run over and we will hear that there was violence on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    If the South won the war fort Sumter still would have been a US fort with US soldiers, bombarded by the confederates.

Some things aren't about perspective. The confederates were traitors in every sense of the word, both morally and legally.
    Wrong. The Southern perspective was that the States were sovereign entities that had the right to secede from, and dissolve their ties to, the Union and the Federal Government. Fort Sumter was a Federal fort built on State land; by refusing to vacate Fort Sumter, the Federal government was occupying land in a foreign country.

Secession was not a legally solved concept in 1861. Their were proponents and detractors for it on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line; see the Hartford Convention during the War of 1812, where several New England states floated the idea of secession.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Haven't seen one around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were only "foreign" troops because the confederates suddenly surrounded them rofl. That's like calling American's "foreign troops" if Mexico suddenly took over a US base.

and yes, the founding fathers were traitors to the British, not to Americans.
    And asked them to leave, which they refused to do, so they removed them from South Carolina territory. If southern Arizona voted to rejoin Mexico and told the USAF to leave Davis-Monthan AFB and the USAF refused, they would basically be occupiers, yes.

Oh they were traitors to many Americans as well, not everyone wanted freed from the Crown.

Those are very different things. Martin Luther King was not a traitor, a murderer, or a racist.
    How bout a statue of Bill Clinton???? 3 sexual assault complaints at 3 different times and He paid off one of his accusers $850,000 in a court settlement.... Not to mention Cheating on his wive... Resigning the presidentcy as he was being impeached ect.....

So what if a Femonist Or just a decent human being tears down a statue of Bill Clinton in the name of Sexual assault victims? Would that be justified?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Secession was not a legally solved concept in 1861. Their were proponents and detractors for it on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line; see the Hartford Convention during the War of 1812, where several New England states floated the idea of secession.
    Legal side of secession is kinda irrelevant.

No country is just going to willing give ip part of its population/land/power
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    No, that's YOUR logic.
    No, it's from every perspective. We betrayed the British, but it doesn't matter now because we won the war and the British lost so we have our independence.
    Short memory. Sad.

Deleted
    Voicing your opinion = yay

Violence or destroying property = nay

... how destroying symbols of something that happened 150 or so years ago, stuff our grandparents' parents hardly hard to deal with.. is applauded in any way seems ludicrous to me.

but then again, a lot of stuff people do seems stupid to me.. so what can you do

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go ahead I don't care. Bill Clinton isn't a national hero, Martin Luther King is.
    A hero to one is a villain to another.

Deleted
    Go ahead I don't care. Bill Clinton isn't a national hero, Martin Luther King is.
    MLK was a traitor to the establishment. Why should we revere traitors?

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    MLK was a traitor to the establishment. Why should we revere traitors?
    You keep using false equivalencies to twist arguments. To be fair, people in this thread are doing a poor job to keep you lot on track.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only one that Martin Luther King is a villain to are racists. Bill Clinton could be a villain to many people.
    so?

Dsnt change anything I said

I actually find it repulsive that so many in this forum seem to think it's okay to destroy pieces of history just because they don't like it. They're no better than those religious fanatics who burned ancient art and books because it depicted "heresy"

I swear some times it feels like many of these people treat liberalism itself like a cultish religion.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshots View Post
    How bout a statue of Bill Clinton???? 3 sexual assault complaints at 3 different times and He paid off one of his accusers $850,000 in a court settlement.... Not to mention Cheating on his wive... Resigning the presidentcy as he was being impeached ect.....

So what if a Femonist Or just a decent human being tears down a statue of Bill Clinton in the name of Sexual assault victims? Would that be justified?
    The thing is, Bill Clinton did NOT resign the presidency when he was being impeached. That was Richard Nixon that resigned.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.