Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    They're successful people are they not? Are they in their mom's basement arguing on the internet and wasting away? Nope they're out there running the world.
    So your answer is no, it doesn't make them immune... thank you for clearing that up for me.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Why would it be? Marriage is the concern and business of a couple, only. The opinions of "sociologists" are irrelevant. The only difference between being married and not, outside of "tax breaks", is a piece of paper. Anyone that thinks that an antiquated ritual and legal binding somehow improves a relationship has no clue what they're talking about. Marriage is not required for a successful relationship, but a successful relationship is required for marriage. Also, how a relationship affects the "community" is irrelevant and being a husband or wife does not make one a better parent.
    I find it hard to believe you can be so naïve to say it's just a piece of paper. I can't start a discussion with such a simple mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you married?
    How about you? are you?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I find it hard to believe you can be so naïve to say it's just a piece of paper. I can't start a discussion with such a simple mind.
    I find that argument odd also seeing as the institution long precedes any official papers we've since associated with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    This is a really great point. I've been married now divorced and now I have casual relationships. I'm just as happy with the casual girlfriend as I ever was with a wife. I don't need to be locked into a contract to have that false sense of security. I don't need to feel ownership of another person. Being single works for me, I can assure you I am not a miserable lonely bastard.
    It's not the marriage itself but it's what it represents, and I'm not talking about individuals but I'm talking about it as a community/cultur. There are countries where marriages falling or newly weds numbers are declining and it hurts the community as a whole.

Society would fall about if nobody would get married anymore as anybody would feel like they could switch whenever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think about it. Remember the joy you and your parents had when you got married? Your negative posts are deterring others from experiencing the same thing. Not cool mate.
    First off...if someone is putting off their marriage because of a simple forum post...then obviously they were heavily questioning the marriage well before this post.

Second...I never got married...but I remember when my brother got married...my Mom didn't like her much...both my Mom and Grandma would talk about how they loved his ex...my Mom said she was controlling...then what happened? She forced him to move down south to live in her old home town literally blocks from where her parents live. (Mind you...this is from where they used to live...a place where the drive to our Mom's and the drive to her parents was almost even).

Then what happened? She pressured him to have a baby because she thought it would fix things...only made things worse...he ends up cheating on her and is eventually caught. What does he tell me...there were times he was considering packing it all up and leaving her...

They get divorced....she lies in court....she gets what she wants through lies...he lets her get what she wants because he just wanted it to be over with and free from her.

Keep in mind over half of marriage ends in divorce....mind you not all divorces are like this...some better....but some even worse.

So why get married again? Do people really need a piece of paper to show they love each other?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    First off...if someone is putting off their marriage because of a simple forum post...then obviously they were heavily questioning the marriage well before this post.

Second...I never got married...but I remember when my brother got married...my Mom didn't like her much...both my Mom and Grandma would talk about how they loved his ex...my Mom said she was controlling...then what happened? She forced him to move down south to live in her old home town literally blocks from where her parents live. (Mind you...this is from where they used to live...a place where the drive to our Mom's and the drive to her parents was almost even).

Then what happened? She pressured him to have a baby because she thought it would fix things...only made things worse...he ends up cheating on her and is eventually caught. What does he tell me...there were times he was considering packing it all up and leaving her...

They get divorced....she lies in court....she gets what she wants through lies...he lets her get what she wants because he just wanted it to be over with and free from her.

Keep in mind over half of marriage ends in divorce....mind you not all divorces are like this...some better....but some even worse.

So why get married again? Do people really need a piece of paper to show they love each other?
    My situation wasn't much different to your brother's.

Resolution: I married someone that had much more to lose [financially] than I did.

It's not the marriage itself but it's what it represents, and I'm not talking about individuals but I'm talking about it as a community/cultur. There are countries where marriages falling or newly weds numbers are declining and it hurts the community as a whole.

Society would fall about if nobody would get married anymore as anybody would feel like they could switch whenever.
    The decline in marriages is inevitable. If you look at the historical reason why people married they are just not relevant in modern society. Having children out of wedlock is normal. Woman staying single and childless is no longer frowned upon. Feminism has told women if you don't pursue a career over everything else then you are a failure. Welfare and social safety nets has made it so women no longer need a husband.

So basically the only reason to get married is to have a party and declare your love to the world. And given if you are the male you would be taken to the cleaners if the marriage goes south, there really is just no need or incentive. Like I said before, blame modern feminism for destroying marriage and blame the hard left for destroying the family unit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    How about you? are you?
    I'm not the one bashing marriage like it's useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is it not pretty much useless...just about everything marriage used to give can be gotten around this day and age...

7+ Year Old Account
    To me and a growing number of other people, it is. This has nothing to do with naivety, but personal preference. But apparently your supposed superior mind can't seem to grasp what doesn't fit within your world view.

The effects of marriages (or lack thereof) on communities and societies are irrelevant, as individual choice takes precedence. Always.

Um, no it wouldn't. Talking about naive.
    Last edited by Mistame; 2017-08-20 at 11:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think marriage is a good thing.

That said, falling marriage rates are fine. A more serious concern than anything raised in this thread is the overpopulation of the planet. If the falling marriage rates slow population growth across the board, then that's a great thing.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Calling someone a "loser" because they make different life choices makes you also a "loser" because you made your own life choices.
    Not really. Incels are losers because they're failed to achieve normal goals. MGTOWs are just incels that want to claim they're something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    I think marriage is a good thing.

That said, falling marriage rates are fine. A more serious concern than anything raised in this thread is the overpopulation of the planet. If the falling marriage rates slow population growth across the board, then that's a great thing.
    If you're concerned about population, focusing on the unsustainable African birthrates makes a lot more sense than worrying about the habits of any wealthy country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    So your answer is no, it doesn't make them immune... thank you for clearing that up for me.
    Correlation mate. Successful people = married mostly

Meanwhile, unsuccessful people = unmarried mostly

Good.

All steps taken away from the Religious rituals and their power over society, is a positive.
    Marriage as in becoming legally bonded for the safety of your significant other, is something which should be done because the couple feels that it's right, not something they're pressured into and then pressured into staying within no matter how miserable they are.

Society was around and moving forward long before marriage as we know it today became the custom and "part of western culture", society will be around and moving forward long after that custom has withered away and new have taken its place. Just as how society didn't crumble with the generation of teenagers exposed to the Beatles craze.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2017-08-21 at 12:01 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Not really. Incels are losers because they're failed to achieve normal goals. MGTOWs are just incels that want to claim they're something else.
    Sorry, but "goals" aren't a "normal" standard. Every individual has different goals, etc. It's not up to you, me or anyone else to decide whether or not someone's life choices are "normal" or even the "correct" choices. Now, in the case of those who need to soap-box their life choices and blame others for them, that's a different story. But I doubt all "MGTOW" types are like that. It's no different than generalizing any other group of people. /shrug

hm i wonder which marriage is the one that counts because most succesfull people out there have usually 2-3 divorces on their count during lifetime.

also from biological standpoint its the married people who are unsuccesfull because they will pass their genes only to 1 partner - while those without marriage are more likely to spread their genepool further due to much more sexual partners in many cases including seducing and impregnating someone elses wife and making him - the married man - ultimate failure and unsuccesful person.
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2017-08-21 at 12:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    hm i wonder which marriage is the one that counts because most succesfull people out there have usually 2-3 divorces on their count during lifetime.
    Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Barack Obama, Justin Trudeau, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, LeBron James, Steph Curry etc etc

Nice try bruv.

Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Barack Obama, Justin Trudeau, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, LeBron James, Steph Curry etc etc

Nice try bruv.
    Oh cool, this is fun.

Successful people who never married: Leonardo DiCaprio, Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Condoleezza Rice, Usain Bolt, Ronda Rousey

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you are encouraging people to do things you wont do yourself.. got it.

- - - Updated - - -

So you are saying your unsuccessfulness is because you aren't married? That is really tragic, you should get married so you'll be successful too.