Question Which crafting professions are reliable/consistent as gold income?

Which two crafting professions currently in Legion do you consider the most reliable for making gold?

Something that is always sought after on the market and won't lose usefulness as the new patch comes and time passes?

I would like to primarily focus on buying materials from the AH and crafting them into consistently sought after products that i can sell on the AH.

Please do explain your answer, and thank you for helping

Enchanting/Tailoring or Enchanting/LW.

If you just want to idle away in a capital city you will need to shuffle bracers to get bloods, since anything worth crafting uses bloods.
    Doubt there is much current xpac stuff that sells at a profit that doesn't include BoS.
    You can use the bloods you get from the shuffle to craft starter epic gear, that still sells decently.
    Enchanting/BS doesn't work due to the Leystone cost.
    You get to craft a Legendary a week if you go out and do the content related to it, but that's up to you.

Enchanting wont change much in the coming patch, so thats a pretty save bet.
    Only thing is; we have no clue how much of an influx of materials we'll get the next patch.
    Prices could plummet or shoot up since everyone suddenly needs enchants again; its a bit of a gamble.

Edit;

Keep in mind you'll need to shuffle thousands of bracers to produce enough BoS to make it work and that takes hours, so if you don't have the stomach for enduring the craft/disenchant cycles don't bother.
    Last edited by Mascotte; 2017-08-06 at 09:17 PM.

Alchemy is easiest. People always raid and do M+.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Enchanting/Tailoring or Enchanting/LW.

If you just want to idle away in a capital city you will need to shuffle bracers to get bloods, since anything worth crafting uses bloods.
    Doubt there is much current xpac stuff that sells at a profit that doesn't include BoS.
    You can use the bloods you get from the shuffle to craft starter epic gear, that still sells decently.
    Enchanting/BS doesn't work due to the Leystone cost.
    You get to craft a Legendary a week if you go out and do the content related to it, but that's up to you.

Enchanting wont change much in the coming patch, so thats a pretty save bet.
    Only thing is; we have no clue how much of an influx of materials we'll get the next patch.
    Prices could plummet or shoot up since everyone suddenly needs enchants again; its a bit of a gamble.

Edit;

Keep in mind you'll need to shuffle thousands of bracers to produce enough BoS to make it work and that takes hours, so if you don't have the stomach for enduring the craft/disenchant cycles don't bother.
    how the "shuffle bracers" works?

Quote Originally Posted by orgonutil View Post
    how the "shuffle bracers" works?
    Buy either Silk, Stonehide Leather or Stormscale (altho less likely to give you a profit then the first 2 since its generally higher priced) as cheap as possible.
    Get rank 3 for the pair of bracers you want to craft, this cuts it down to 9 of the mentioned material.
    General rule of tumb is; if materialprice*9 is more then the worth of a Leylight shard its not worth it.
    For me personally i need to make at-least 20g per craft of profit before i bother; some people are willing to just flip for the added results (see below) but that's not worth the time for me.

Craft as many as you can, then disenchant everything you crafted.

The way it breaks down is as follows;

Since you create a rare item (and the way DEing in Legion works) you will always at least get 1 Leylight shard.
    Due to the nature of Legion crafting you have a small chance your bracer will come as an Epic result. These Epic procs have a small chance (its far from 100%, think its closer to 5-8%) to disenchant into a Chaos Crystal.
    And on top of that, you have a small chance to get a BoS on each disenchant you do.

So if you do it enough you'll end up with a couple thousand of Leylight shards, hundred or so Chaos Crystals and a few dozen BoS.
    Shards and Crystals can be sold, used in enchants or broken down into Arkhana, further increasing your profit.
    BoS can be used on bloodvendor or to create other more valuable crafts.

Keep in mind; this will take alottt of time to craft/DE.
    You'll spend hours upon hours doing this.
    If you plan to mail your crafted items to another char; don't.
    You will go nuts mailing them with the 12items per mail limit.
    My last batch of around 5k bracers took me around 4 hours or so; making me a decent sized profit of roughly 140k not counting the bloods.
    But its not something you can do half arsed, volume makes it viable. Doing a couple dozen might still give you a profit (in fact, every craft should give you a profit or you shouldn't be doing the flip) but the time investment should not be underestimated.
    Last edited by Mascotte; 2017-08-07 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mascotte View Post
    Buy either Silk, Stonehide Leather or Stormscale (altho less likely to give you a profit then the first 2 since its generally higher priced) as cheap as possible.
    Get rank 3 for the pair of bracers you want to craft, this cuts it down to 9 of the mentioned material.
    General rule of tumb is; if materialprice*9 is more then the worth of a Leylight shard its not worth it.
    For me personally i need to make at-least 20g per craft of profit before i bother; some people are willing to just flip for the added results (see below) but that's not worth the time for me.

Craft as many as you can, then disenchant everything you crafted.

The way it breaks down is as follows;

Since you create a rare item (and the way DEing in Legion works) you will always at least get 1 Leylight shard.
    Due to the nature of Legion crafting you have a small chance your bracer will come as an Epic result. These Epic procs have a small chance (its far from 100%, think its closer to 5-8%) to disenchant into a Chaos Crystal.
    And on top of that, you have a small chance to get a BoS on each disenchant you do.

So if you do it enough you'll end up with a couple thousand of Leylight shards, hundred or so Chaos Crystals and a few dozen BoS.
    Shards and Crystals can be sold, used in enchants or broken down into Arkhana, further increasing your profit.
    BoS can be used on bloodvendor or to create other more valuable crafts.

Keep in mind; this will take alottt of time to craft/DE.
    You'll spend hours upon hours doing this.
    If you plan to mail your crafted items to another char; don't.
    You will go nuts mailing them with the 12items per mail limit.
    My last batch of around 5k bracers took me around 4 hours or so; making me a decent sized profit of roughly 140k not counting the bloods.
    But its not something you can do half arsed, volume makes it viable. Doing a couple dozen might still give you a profit (in fact, every craft should give you a profit or you shouldn't be doing the flip) but the time investment should not be underestimated.
    good tip! Will check the prices later

do boost runs ..200k a pop for a 15 key

Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    Alchemy is easiest. People always raid and do M+.
    Donno about your server but on EU-Silvermoon Flasks have consistently sold for under market value since the start of the expansion.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Enchanting is a blessing, honestly, and it's only going to get better in 7.3 when the new obliterum hits. I expect making a million or two in a week will be quite easy then, if you've stockpiled your shit right now.

I started with 70k gold 3 days ago and I'm sitting at 503k pure gold right now. This amount of gold might be seen as poverty by many here, but I just made 433k gold in less than 60 hours without having millions or hundreds to start off with.

I am currently doing the Obliterum shuffle and I'm now the top seller of Obliterum on my realm. I've sold ~1300 obliterum (by trading directly or selling on the AH) in the past ~50-60 hours whereas other sellers are sitting at 1235 and 1295 obliterums posted on the AH in the past 14 days. It's safe to assume that the market kind of belongs to me now.

I will probably reach ~2 million gold by the end of this month and I'll branch out to Inscription & Jewelcrafting as well. From that point the gold will probably start snowballing hard since the more money you have, the more you make.

Pro tip #1 - never buy materials directly from the AH. Ask the sellers from AH to sell stuff via trade for a price of Z=X-(Y*0,05) where Y is the price of the item posted at the Auction House. The seller will get the same amount of gold he would get as if he sold the item on the auction house and you will have your item cheaper than if you bought it straight from the auction house.

Pro tip #2 - don't hesitate to buy your materials simply by asking on /2. Don't disclose your buying price right away. I've been buying Chaos Crystals for 165-170g while they're all for 200g on the AH now. That's a lot of gold saved for doing nothing. Try to build a network of suppliers.

Pro tip #3 - Don't buy Arkhana first. Look at Leylight Shards. One Leylight Shard gives you 3 Arkhana, so divide the price of a single Leylight Shard by 3 and this is the amount of gold you should be willing to pay for a single piece of Arkhana. I bought ~1300 Leylight Shards for about 12,75g per Arkhana while pure Arkhana was sitting at ~14g on the AH.

If you don't want to pay for Chaos Crystals yourself or you just don't have the gold,join Unstable Nether Portal raid groups - you can get 50 of them every 24 hours per character and the run takes about an hour if not a little bit more. You get 50 Chaos Crystals from Dauntless Tokens and +/- 7-10 bags after turning in Legionfall Supplies so that's a few chances at getting a Legendary. You can sell the Crystals or use them in your Shuffle.

Pro tip #4 - you need a bit of a capital to work this thing first as the more gold you have the more you can make. If somebody undercuts you, don't just blindly buy their shit by looking at the auction price. Say somebody posts like 50 of an item for 1200g, and you post yours at 1220g, so 20g less than yours - if you just think - hey, 20g less, I'll buy and resale for easy profit - no, you will lose ~62g on each item this way. Take 5% off your item's price and then take the price of the item you wanted to flip, voila, real amount of gold you would get (or lose) on the resale.

Pro tip #5 - Don't hesitate to advertise your item sales on /2 for LESS than you posted it on the AH. Say I'm selling Obliterum at 1300g each at the AH:

1300g-(1300g*0,05)=1235g - this is the amount of gold I will get if a piece of Obliterum sells on the AH for me.

What I like to do is /2 WTS [Obliterum] for 1270g each, 1260 or less if you buy in bulk(15+). Not only I will make MORE gold on each sale this way, buyers will also pay LESS. If somebody buys a lot at once, say 20+, you should consider giving him like 2-3 pieces for free.

This will allow you to build a network of customers who will buy from your instead of the competition.

I also used Alchemy, but the price of Old Wars is so low you need to make thousands of pots to make any meaningful profit, whereas with Enchanting I'm making ~60k gold in profit after 200 Enchant Ring - Binding of X crafts and Obliterating them all. The average Obliterum Ash per Enchant Ring - Binding of X is 1,31 for me and ~260 Obliterum sells in a day for me, but I'm undercutting really hard (scanning for undercuts every 2-3 minutes and reposting) so only my shit sells except for a few lucky auctions that sneak past me.

If you see a very good deal on the AH, like the one I had today - 300 chaos crystals posted for 160g each while the average price was 188-200 per crystal, I bought all 300 without a second thought. Doesn't matter if Obliterum falls in price in the next day or two, you can always make enchants or sell the crystals for profit.

Best thing is - I'm not camping the AH per se. I'm playing CSGO and just using the WoW Armory app to repost my auctions every ~3 minutes when the round ends.

Most of what I said here is pretty much common sense, but people somehow fail to apply it to their shit. I don't know how you can be poor in this game is you're genuinely trying to make gold.

Now as a finishing note - if you're being undercut by auctions like the ones marked on the screenshot:

Don't bother undercutting that guy. Chances are he's poor and just looking for any gold he can get, don't be greedy, let him have it
    Last edited by mauserr; 2017-08-16 at 02:21 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
    whereas with Enchanting I'm making ~60k gold in profit after 200 Enchant Ring - Binding of X crafts and Obliterating them all.
    Please don't laugh at me but did this work like since forever that you can Obliterate enchants? o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Dismembered View Post
    Please don't laugh at me but did this work like since forever that you can Obliterate enchants? o_O
    Yep, it's a crafted item.

Now as a finishing note - if you're being undercut by auctions like the ones marked on the screenshot:

Don't bother undercutting that guy. Chances are he's poor and just looking for any gold he can get, don't be greedy, let him have it
    What's so special about the undercutting patterns in this picture... Most addons have auto-undercut settings by some set amount (like 1 copper or 1 gold) or percentage of the previous amount.

At least that screenshot doesn't have 1997 stacks of 1 runescale koi on it... Gosh took me some time to "scan" after so I can post mine, but last time I tried to manually type price and not use auto-pricing addon I sold a stack of pots for the price of one... Noob mistake but next time I'm just gonna let addon do it for me instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    What's so special about the undercutting patterns in this picture... Most addons have auto-undercut settings by some set amount (like 1 copper or 1 gold) or percentage of the previous amount.

At least that screenshot doesn't have 1997 stacks of 1 runescale koi on it... Gosh took me some time to "scan" after so I can post mine, but last time I tried to manually type price and not use auto-pricing addon I sold a stack of pots for the price of one... Noob mistake but next time I'm just gonna let addon do it for me instead.
    Oh,I meant the amount he posted, not the amount of gold I was being undercut by. Just a few guys posting 1-2 stacks of 1 so chances were they're some poor guy trying to make a little bit of gold for whatever.

Enchanting is pretty lucrative depending on server. It is better to have a team of professions. I make enough gold each month to buy my token +100k with just enchanting, inscription and herbalism. But I use LWing and skinning as well. I turn skins into Leather items, and shard them, then sell the shards. I have 9 110s, and 4 of them are herbalists, I do the Felwort quests every couple days on 4 toons and turn them into Sallow pigs, which I then sell. I have 4 chanters, which I do the single kill WQs that have purple rewards and shard them, which I then sell. I also have cooking at 75 on everyone, so I can get the bacon WQ and sell the bacon. It is an investment in time, but I play the game quite a bit and if I am playing, I might as well be earning.

It doesn't sound that lucrative, but I do alright.

Enchanting is a good gold maker in general. Obliterum shuffle that's described above may not be possible on your realm.

For instance on mine each enchant ring - binding of * sells for ~1900g, mat cost is ~1500g, whereas obliterum sells for ~1400g. On average you need to obliterate 4 enchants to get 5 obliterums, so that's 4 * 1900 = 7600g from selling 4 enchants vs 5 * 1400 = 7000g from selling 5 obliterums.

However, enchants sell slower than obliterum, it shouldn't affect you much unless you're planning to sell hundreds of obliterums every day. But if that's the case, you may want to look into selling both enchants and obliterum, prob 1:4 or even 1:6 ratio
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-08-22 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    Enchanting is a good gold maker in general. Obliterum shuffle that's described above may not be possible on your realm.

For instance on mine each enchant ring - binding of * sells for ~1900g, mat cost is ~1500g, whereas obliterum sells for ~1400g. On average you need to obliterate 4 enchants to get 5 obliterums, so that's 4 * 1900 = 7600g from selling 4 enchants vs 5 * 1400 = 7000g from selling 5 obliterums.

However, enchants sell slower than obliterum, it shouldn't affect you much unless you're planning to sell hundreds of obliterums every day. But if that's the case, you may want to look into selling both enchants and obliterum, prob 1:4 or even 1:6 ratio
    Don't buy materials off the auction house, easy peasy. I buy my crystals at 160g each while they're up for 200g on the auction house, 175g if nobody sells in a span of few hours. I've reached the 1m gold milestone already and I started doing the shuffle 9 days ago. The only gold made this easy was at the start of the expansion when I was mass-producing demonsteel bracers for the obliterum quest. Boy oh boy, in two days I made about 500k gold.

Don't look at Arkhana prices alone, check the Leylight Shards too. Arkhana goes for ~14g each on my server while shattering Leylight Shards puts the price at 12,63g each when bought off the auction house. I pay 34g per Leylight Shards & ~12g per Arkhana on my server via /2 chat.

I usually buy ~800 chaos crystals crystals per session so people don't mind paying a little less if it allows them to unload everything they have.

What pisses me off is intelectual dumpsters such as these people. Fucking retard undercut me by almost 100g and then another fucking halfwit undercut the former piece of stupid shit by another 50g. I can buy them off, luckily, since I have the gold now, but when I was a poor fuck these people annoyed the everliving shit out of me. Stupid fucking cunts.

Good for nothing trash incapable of playing any aspect of the game right. Should just uninstall. God how triggered I am right now.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2017-08-22 at 08:22 PM.

Don't buy materials off the auction house, easy peasy. I buy my crystals at 160g each while they're up for 200g on the auction house, 175g if nobody sells in a span of few hours. I've reached the 1m gold milestone already and I started doing the shuffle 9 days ago. The only gold made this easy was at the start of the expansion when I was mass-producing demonsteel bracers for the obliterum quest. Boy oh boy, in two days I made about 500k gold.

Don't look at Arkhana prices alone, check the Leylight Shards too. Arkhana goes for ~14g each on my server while shattering Leylight Shards puts the price at 12,63g each when bought off the auction house. I pay 34g per Leylight Shards & ~12g per Arkhana on my server via /2 chat.

I usually buy ~800 chaos crystals crystals per session so people don't mind paying a little less if it allows them to unload everything they have.
    I mentioned mat cost because on some realms economy is sooo skewed that it's better to sell mats directly and never bother w/ crafting. People MUST check their AH prices before they start any flipping, shuffling or anything.

I never buy anything for my crafting from AH.

As for Shards > Arkhana, as everything you mentioned, it depends on one's realm economy and prices, on mine Shards cost >36g, whereas Arkhana costs only >10g, and those are AH prices, you can get Arkhana even cheaper in /2.

Anyways, 600g profit difference is too big to simply ignore it and turn all enchants into obliterum on my realm, that's why I wrote what I wrote.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-08-23 at 05:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightspark View Post
    I mentioned mat cost because on some realms economy is sooo skewed that it's better to sell mats directly and never bother w/ crafting. People MUST check their AH prices before they start any flipping, shuffling or anything.

I never buy anything for my crafting from AH.

As for Shards > Arkhana, as everything you mentioned, it depends on one's realm economy and prices, on mine Shards cost >36g, whereas Arkhana costs only >10g, and those are AH prices, you can get Arkhana even cheaper in /2.

Anyways, 600g profit difference is too big to simply ignore it and turn all enchants into obliterum on my realm, that's why I wrote what I wrote.
    You didn't mention earlier that you weren't buying your materials from the AH, so I wrote about not doing that. Maybe it'll be of some use to the OP and others, no biggie.

You can also shuffle Obliterum with alchemy - infernal stones and potions. Potions take much longer but are much cheaper (at least on my server, an obliterum giant (only person above me in the amount of obliterum posted on the AH) on my server told me they cost about 700-800g and a lot of time to make and the obliterum sells for 1,2 - 1,4k on my server.

Might be worth checking, I guess.

Screenshow below tells you why I've moved away from Alchemy. I don't think there's any explanation needed at all.

Biggest bunch of retards I've ever seen. My realm is literally an intelectual dumpster. These stupid fucks sell crafts cheaper than the materials are going for, even at rank 3, and I'd wager most of them don't even have rank 3.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2017-08-23 at 10:17 AM.