Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I was too late and all the glasses are sold out around me thats why I'm wondering if I can just take like a 2-3 second peek and be okay but if its too dangerous oh well
    basically, go outside and look at the sun right now. that's what it'll look like for you if you're not in 100% totality. the glare will mostly outshine the moon and you'll only be able to glance for like a second before you need to turn away.

i'm in the 90% range. got some glasses, really excited. mostly excited to see it dark in the day time, gonna be interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

oh also, if you don't have glasses, go check at the animal shelters in your area.

the weather channel said some might be giving them away for pets for some reason.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    linkedin had an article about the cost of everyone going out and checking it out. They made it with a conservative 20 minutes....much longer than the 15 minutes it would take for NK missiles to reach Guam.
    There are parties lasting hours surrounding it. And Guam doesn't get to see it anyway, I was thinking more about the mainland.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    Well point being is if key personnel were distracted. I don't think it would have any bigger impact than if those key personnel were just out to lunch. Regional commanders are going to have enough authority to deal with the situation till the mainland issues new orders.
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weir...ibiru-planet-x

It's probably just some rabbling from bible-obsessed doomsayers, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    how is the weather cast ? would be a shame if you all missed it because of clouds; it would just be dark and darker with time and in reverse bright and brighter.
    So far clear but pretty warm. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    The mathematically best spot to see 100% totality is about 4 blocks from my house. So....yeah.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

i've seen a couple in my life, they are pretty cool

in viking times they thought that fenrir? ate the sun, and they'd bang their shield and roar to scare him away. (apparently)

you'll get to see the sun's corona

Didn't know you needed super special glasses to see a full or partial eclipse, didn't feel like spending 60$+ on amazon either, guess I'll wait until the next one in 2024

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by last1214 View Post
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about it. In case you didn't hear Monday the 21st there will be a total solar eclipse across North America. Millions will be able to see it, making it one of the most viewed solar eclipses ever.

Is anyone traveling to try and get a better viewing of it? What are your thoughts?
    The earth is flat solar eclipses are impossible

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I am curious how many people will permanently damage their vision.
    I wish they wouldn't have done all the PSA's and shit. Like if you think staring into the sun is a good idea then be my guest. Maybe they'll blind themselves enough to miss next time they breed and won't pass the dumb on

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    What are your thoughts?
    Don't look at it kid, you'll burn your eyes out.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    Didn't know you needed super special glasses to see a full or partial eclipse, didn't feel like spending 60$+ on amazon either, guess I'll wait until the next one in 2024
    I paid like 4$ for mine, bought welders glass.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    did it start already on west coast ? report anything and share with those outside of the 100 % zone. and yes: there is a difference between 99 % and "utter totality".

aside from the darkness nature will fall silent too. spooky, but hey: your last total eclipse across the continent was ~99 years ago.
    Last edited by ranzino; 2017-08-21 at 04:17 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread about it. In case you didn't hear Monday the 21st there will be a total solar eclipse across North America. Millions will be able to see it, making it one of the most viewed solar eclipses ever.

Is anyone traveling to try and get a better viewing of it? What are your thoughts?
    Not a full total for Canada. I think Victoria in BC is getting 89%. Montreal: 49/50%. Somewhere in Nunavut: 11%

10+ Year Old Account
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    my area wont see full eclipse but partial. I can't seem to get a direct answer on whether you can at least glance at it without the special glasses. People act like you'll go blind immediately if you don't.
    Well let's see... you'd be staring at the sun, so....
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Well let's see... you'd be staring at the sun, so....
    Well obviously but the keyword being stare. I've looked straight at the sun before and sure its uncomfortable and I know its damaging but a second or two shouldn't do long term damage is my question

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla View Post
    I paid like 4$ for mine, bought welders glass.
    Well damn lol, I'll try to remember this 7 years from now

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I am curious how many people will permanently damage their vision.
    On a live stream I seen a guy walking around with his 'eclipse glasses' on, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the glasses were supposed to black out everything BUT the sun.

Perhaps not actually being ISO certified?
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I think the main problem is, that when it's a total eclipse your eyes will dilate because it's darker, then the moon moves and it can much more dangerous because you're letting in more light suddenly.

It only takes a few seconds for it to damage your eyes. I wouldn't recommend it, but just be careful.
    From what I'm reading in my area since we are getting at most 50%~ the brightness otuside won't actually go down so my eyes shouldn't dilate like that. But at the same time because its so bright with the naked eye I won't even be able to see the partial eclipse. Gonna see if I can bum some glasses off a co worker when we go out at peak.