Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Nope, wrong again. I was pointing out that NEITHER of you are correct, because it was more nuanced than that.
    Funny, because I never made any statement that The Civil War was entirely about Slavery...I just objected to the statement "Slavery had very little to do with the Civil War".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    You usually don't get to make that decision when you get your ass handed to you in a war.
    It happens more than you would think outside of totalitarian governments.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Funny, because I never made any statement that The Civil War was entirely about Slavery...I just objected to the statement "Slavery had very little to do with the Civil War".
    For Virginia, it didn't have much to do with declaring for the CSA, as they had voted originally to remain in the Union. The casus belli was being ordered to attack the CSA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really?
    I haven't noticed any monument to celebrate the nazi's or to act as if they were heroes.
    Perhaps not, but look at Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    I don't have much sympathy for figures of people that were objectively traitors, so yeah.

Edit: I'd figure a quick edit would do fine to prevent confusion.
    At this same rate, these statues are history. Regardless you want to admit it or not. The confederacy is a grim piece of American history, and the vandilization of it does no justice. For the same reasons I believe we ought to place these statues into a museum so we have a way to view the past, and hope to god we don't repeat it. But again, we likely will because it's easier to deface history, rather than preserve it.

It happens more than you would think outside of totalitarian governments.

- - - Updated - - -

For Virginia, it didn't have much to do with declaring for the CSA, as they had voted originally to remain in the Union. The casus belli was being ordered to attack the CSA.
    See, once again that's moving goal posts. You are talking about one state when the questions is this:

Was slavery a major factor in the Civil War?

Deleted
    At this same rate, these statues are history.
    Anything can be deemed history, from a statue to a fork to the shit I took earlier this day. Doesn't mean it's worth keeping.

The confederacy is a grim piece of American history, and the vandilization of it does no justice.
    The Berlin Wall was a grim piece of German History. Really, would you look at it and say: "Please don't tear it down/don't vandalize it. It's history! Let's keep it so we can learn from our mistakes." Yeah, no. You know what's a mistake? To keep abhorrent pieces of "history" like that around. You learn history from books (and well, these days it's more like Wikipedia), not objects that were made to GLORIFY the things they resemble.

Time to start tearing down statues of MLK because he was adulterous while pretending to be pious, statues of Ghandhi because he was a massive racist and spouse abuser, any statue of any communist sympathizer, all statues of any founding father, and on and on. Never confuse the current outrage of the left for some kind of moral center. They don't care what it is, they just want to burn it down. Also, this is just the hobby of people with nothing better going on in their lives and no real responsibility.
    We glorify some people because, even though they might have done bad things, the good things they did outweight the bad things. Confederates aren't in that group of people, unless you count slavery as a cause worth fighting for.
    Last edited by mmoc2ebc293481; 2017-08-21 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    An island is the best argument?
    One from the same period that committed massive war crimes like the Nazis.

- - - Updated - - -

See, once again that's moving goal posts. You are talking about one state when the questions is this:

Was slavery a major factor in the Civil War?
    And the answer is IT DEPENDS.

Throw the book at her. No fine, (because some virtuous celebrity would pay it), just sweet, sweet jail time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    It ceased to be a peaceful protest when they decided to vandalize the statue. She should be charged. Along with everyone else who had a hand in it. You can tell they know that because so many of them turned themselves in.
    Indeed, it was a criminal action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    Confederate statues have no place in America, good for her and the lot of them that took down the statue.
    BWAHAHAA... It was the states that made them, it is their past, and they are now trying to hide it, shelter themselves from what happened.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    But we already knew this. The same is espoused by the Moderators of this website after all (save 1-2 diamonds in the rough). This is why I don't and won't post here further and have gone off to WoWhead and other better sites. Advise everyone who disagrees with these shady practices to do likewise. This site should be called "Liberal-Champion".

Good luck folks. Wouldn't advise the use of this site any longer. I know I will not be.
    Don't like to be infracted? Don't break the rules, simple as that. You cannot complain about moderation if you break the rules constantly. Or if you don't report posts that you think break rules.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Time to start tearing down statues of MLK because he was adulterous while pretending to be pious, statues of Ghandhi because he was a massive racist and spouse abuser, any statue of any communist sympathizer, all statues of any founding father, and on and on. Never confuse the current outrage of the left for some kind of moral center. They don't care what it is, they just want to burn it down. Also, this is just the hobby of people with nothing better going on in their lives and no real responsibility.
    Sorry but adultery isn't illegal, but yet you want to celebrate traitorous scum that wanted to keep their slaves. Jesus christ your slippery slope fallacy is so slippery that you slipped out of fucking reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Indeed, it was a criminal action.

BWAHAHAA... It was the states that made them, it is their past, and they are now trying to hide it, shelter themselves from what happened.
    They aren't sheltering them, they just don't want traitors celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrages View Post
    Sorry, it doesn't appear like you're bright enough to grasp the concept.
    What concept did I just state that was false? You are comparing bullshit to OWNING FUCKING PEOPLE. That is the very definition of a slippery slope fallacy.

What do expect from a Liberal college most of them are basically Brainwash U.

I mean this happened yesterday at another Liberal College.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/...a75b3288d12803

Black Lives Matter Tshirt NPNP front of class A+student. Trump Hat GET OUT OF MY SCHOOL YOU RACIST!!..

https://twitter.com/allie_vandee/sta...a75b3288d12803 If you want the full story of what actually happened....
    Last edited by Moshots; 2017-08-21 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They aren't sheltering them, they just don't want traitors celebrated.
    A statue don't always mean celebration.

And it is sheltering if you can't handle your past. If I recall, it isn't just one statue it has happened to. Just because the confederates lost, doesn't mean all their actions was that of treachery.

Wait, traitors? What were they traitors about? They tried selling you back to Great Britain? Not good with the US history on that but I am sure you aren't a traitor for being a confederate.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2017-08-21 at 08:33 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

You usually don't get to make that decision when you get your ass handed to you in a war.
    Well, a lot of people don't respect the Union's victory, considering it was won by burning farmland and fodderizing their own infantry for logistical attrition. Do you respect people who beat you with Jade Druid or Pirate Warrior?
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    Being British I find that Hilariously ironic lol

Technically speaking, your talking about every person in the USA there

Your county would not exist as it does if it were not for those "traitors" who viewed things differently and had the courage to do something about it.
    And we know that people are pushing those statues down because of slavery and not because of the whole traitor thing.

BTW Dr. King was against gay rights maybe we should start pulling his stuff down in the future as well.

Deleted
    It ceased to be a peaceful protest when they decided to vandalize the statue. She should be charged. Along with everyone else who had a hand in it.
    Yeah, of course they should. Regardless of what people think of the statue, vandalism is not the way to deal with it - and those responsible for it should get to face the consequences.

And the answer is IT DEPENDS.
    It is truly incredible to see the lengths some people will go to to avoid admitting that Slavery was something of a factor in the Civil War.

Even more incredible is the fact that these are the same people that accuse others of trying to erase history by taking down some statues.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is truly incredible to see the lengths some people will go to to avoid admitting that Slavery was something of a factor in the Civil War.

Even more incredible is the fact that these are the same people that accuse others of trying to erase history by taking down some statues.
    It also amazing the extent people will go to frame the war as a slavery issue when it was more than that.

It also amazing the extent people will go to frame the war as a slavery issue when it was more than that.
    Again, I have never claimed that the war was entirely about slavery...I'm just calling out the people that try to dismiss it as being unimportant.

The very fact that you cannot even say something as simple as "Slavery was a factor in the Civil War" is disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, I have never claimed that the war was entirely about slavery...I'm just calling out the people that try to dismiss it as being unimportant.

The very fact that you cannot even say something as simple as "Slavery was a factor in the Civil War" is disturbing.
    The fact you do not understand English enough to see I always have said that is even more disturbing.