Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    That GC quote actually explains a lot about Cataclysm and the revamping of the old world content.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Great neck RUINED by a stupid 5 minute cooldown. Why must they do that with everything?

If they want 110s to not use this thing, just make it cease to work once the XP bonus stops working.
    Wait... wut? How is that even "ruined" by having the CD ability on it.

Now thats one of the more lazier mounts ive ever seen. Wow

What a crappy neck loom!

I sure as shit aint gonna replace that with the one that actually gives me health every 2mins!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's less about development time (non-visible items are just database entries anyway)
    They use old models for looms anyway so yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    Very disappointed with the heirloom neck. Considering the amount we already have.
    Give it a 60 sec CD and it becomes interesting - otherwise, no XP means I couldn't care less about it. At least it is a "free" 110 heirloom...

Quote Originally Posted by Psygon View Post
    Nice Murloc mount!
    Murloc zerg hybrids

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    "in WoW the quests just never ran out"

Bullshit spotted.

You had to grind quite a lot in vanilla because there weren't enough quests in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Ultima Online was actually a great sandbox. You could live just by stealing from players, just by trading, just by crafting etc.
    I totally agree. The best games I've ever played were a combo of theme + sandbox. Vanilla wow had some of that Emergent gameplay (ie. SS vs TM) but it was unrealized and undeveloped. I think Blizzard always meant for WoW even in Vanilla to be a fully controlled themepark, but didn't have the resources at the time. Kinda sad, actually. There is always a problem when the developers decide for you what is fun in such an open world like WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    Give it a 60 sec CD and it becomes interesting - otherwise, no XP means I couldn't care less about it. At least it is a "free" 110 heirloom...
    For people who lvl in pvp (and those who do are lucky, since the heirlooms required for that are retardedly difficult to get),
    sure, this **could** be useful.

But for the most part, its very underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by elurin View Post
    I totally agree. The best games I've ever played were a combo of theme + sandbox. Vanilla wow had some of that Emergent gameplay (ie. SS vs TM) but it was unrealized and undeveloped. I think Blizzard always meant for WoW even in Vanilla to be a fully controlled themepark, but didn't have the resources at the time. Kinda sad, actually. There is always a problem when the developers decide for you what is fun in such an open world like WoW.
    Plz no, Sandbox game are stupid, bc they are really weak on the graphic department. Im glad blizzard isnt doing that, maybe that is the reason i keep playing this game for over 10 years.

someone early post that ultima online was great bc you can live stealing from players. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM with sandbox game, assholes that exploit low level zones, ALL sandbox game have that problem, just watch Ark where a dude build a trap around whrere level 1 character spawns.
    Last edited by dranlord; 2017-08-22 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dranlord View Post
    Plz no, Sandbox game are stupid, bc they are really weak on the graphic department. Im glad blizzard isnt doing that, maybe that is the reason i keep playing this game for over 10 years.

someone early post that ultima online was great bc you can live stealing from players. THAT IS THE MAIN PROBLEM with sandbox game, assholes that exploit low level zones, ALL sandbox game have that problem, just watch Ark where a dude build a trap around whrere level 1 character spawns.
    That gets back to the problem Ghostcrabs was talking about. Bad actors get free rein to do whatever they please and without any meaningful consequences (such as perma-death or prison) will eventually grow to dominate the game because the majority of non jerk players can't effectively fight back against them.

Not fighting in the PVP sense but bringing order to anarchy by forming governments and police forces for example. This is why these types of sandbox games will always fail and devolve into whatever chaotic evil people/trolls with the longest attention spans want; because game systems are too limited to help the lawful players out. (See Elite: Dangerous)
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2017-08-22 at 06:39 AM.

Maybe GC's posts immediately after leaving Blizz were interesting for the WoW players. Now he talks about more and more generic stuff about game development. I think people who are interested about his ideas about this topic should follow his blog. But for the rest of us, his posts just crowd the frondpage of MMOC.
    So as far as I am concerned, please don't post this stuff from GC. He admited not playing WoW since he left Blizz, he knows nothing about the current status of the game, his posts are his visions about game design or w/e only very few people I think are interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusX View Post
    ....So as far as I am concerned, please don't post this stuff from GC. ...
    Fully agree. He is not part of WoW developers anymore and has nothing more to add than generic lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Funky View Post
    Why does anyone care what Ghostcrawler has to say?

He's a dead meme guy.
    https://memegenerator.net/instance/6...emes-never-die

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Useless necklace... should be a permanent effect.
    Especially for Warlocks since they got the speed talent at level 75, before 75 everybody rushes away in the dungeons lol.

Quote Originally Posted by manoman View Post
    Fully agree. He is not part of WoW developers anymore and has nothing more to add than generic lines.
    So, generic lines like yours?

Deleted
    Please ... Using Breath of the Wild as an exemple of what is not fun in sandbox, is at least quite inaccurate ... The argument of not finding anything interesting at top of a mountain, is fallacious as on each moutain there is at least of the damn Korok seed or how explicitly each point of interest is noticeable from afar, bright orange sanctuaries, light halos on basically anything meaningful. I don't want to put aside any debate about BotW, but it quite certain it is close to be a masterpiece of open world game design. The way GC, use BotW, only proves his disabilty to understand open worlds.

Another point on how bad is BotW exemple, is the total absence of multiplayer component in BotW, making open-world solo games and MMO barely comparable.

Anyway, that's the last part that made me create an account to comment this : "I completely realize this is personal preference, but I’d rather designers give me an experience that they think would be fun for me, rather than giving me a tool set and letting me invent the fun".

Designing an open world with that mindset, is like designing a bird with the intend to make it swin ... I perfectly understand the preference thing but you can't design a Street Fighter game to make its gameplay like The Last of Us. World of Warcraft is an open world game, you need to design an open world game. If they didn't intend to let players making their own fun, why did they build an open world in the first place ? It does not make any sense.

I couldn't agree more with Ghostcrawler on this. I'm not a big fan of sandbox games, in fact I hate them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dranlord View Post

And this was never a problem in WoW? I can't tell how many DK noobs I had to gank in the orc and troll starting area in WoW after WotLk hit. Or how many people I killed on a daily basis in STV on the alliance flight point or Nesingwarys.

Nothing of what you said is exclusive to a sandbox mmorpg.

15+ Year Old Account
    A sandbox game is not = a sandbox MMO. Those CANNOT be compared. Period. And GhostC. did - which is as far off as can be.
    BotW is/was addicting to the core! No matter where you went (and worked your way to get there or survive there) was a great experience. You always found something new or worth your while - like the far off secluded island of trial (or whatever it was). I was so curious and landed there quite early, not knowing my ropes - left and tried again later.

Now in MMOs this kinda thing used to SORT of work. While WoW was and never will be open world, it still gave a good feel of having a large map. So in Stranglethorn, the Island of Apes (or whatever the name was) was rumoured during Vanilla. Both Location, how to best get over there and what you'd find there.

Nowadays these "easter eggs" are done differently, in the form of mounts (the mindflayer thingie) or toys and so on. It's just not for everyone. But the big miraculous "how to I get there" or "how do I get the material to get there" is a total lack in WoW - would an MMO benefit of this? You know what: probably, but NOT WoW players.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck the move speed, put 10% experience on it.