Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That's the second one in less than a year. Doesn't this seem odd?
    Actually its the 4th incident in the Pacific this year, if you count the Lake Champlain and the Antietam incidents.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Actually its the 4th incident in the Pacific this year, if you count the Lake Champlain and the Antietam incidents.
    Those were both U.S. Navy as well? That makes it even more peculiar. And in at least the two I was aware of, people died. I get that people die when ships run into each other, but, in the back of my (sinister little) mind, it feels like there is something else going on.

The Navy is pretty good at driving ships.

Deleted
    Why the fuck does that asshole get a ship named after him? He didn't accomplish anything, and he isn't even dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    if it wasnt reported how the fuck am i supposed to find a fucking report of it.
    It would have to be reported in the Navy and prob what ever country the other ship was from. So you could look thru all the naval documents of ship incidents, find the ones that were collisions, and then find which ones never made it to world news sources.

Deleted
    are all those us commanders related to that guy from titanic

Is it women or the #NiggerNavy at work here?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Those were both U.S. Navy as well? That makes it even more peculiar. And in at least the two I was aware of, people died. I get that people die when ships run into each other, but, in the back of my (sinister little) mind, it feels like there is something else going on.

The Navy is pretty good at driving ships.
    Aye, all 4 are US Navy ships... As a side note, watch for CAPT Bennett to be relieved of command of Destroyer Squadron 15.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Why the fuck does that asshole get a ship named after him? He didn't accomplish anything, and he isn't even dead yet.
    It's not named after him.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2017-08-21 at 07:09 PM.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

We need ships named after our lord and saviour, Donald Trump.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsRainingMetal View Post
    We need ships named after our lord and saviour, Donald Trump.
    The next submarine that sinks, we'll rename it for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Aye, all 4 are US Navy ships... As a side note, watch for CAPT Bennett to be relieved of command of Destroyer Squadron 15.
    That will be interesting.

I guess there's just a lot more boat traffic out there than before, but it seems like, as insanely competent as the U.S. Navy is, they could just avoid running into other boats. I mean, the U.S. Navy is the best - without even a close second. Which is why I keep coming back to some underlying nefariousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It's named after his father and grand-father, both Navy Admirals. Admiral John S. McCain, his father, was actually serving during Vietnam while John McCain was a PoW. The North Vietnamese tried to use him as a bargaining chip.

But don't worry. Given his role as a Naval Aviator who flew attack aircraft off of carriers (he was almost killed in the USS Forestal fire too), and due to his decades long central role in defense issues, don't be surprised if the fourth or fifth Ford Class Aircraft carrier is named USS John S McCain III.

Given how the second Ford class carrier is going to be the second USS John F. Kennedy and the third is going to be the ninth USS Enterprise, I wouldn't exactly expect a USS Bill Clinton, George W. Bush or Barack Obama.

Nixon also doesn't have a ship named after him.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost certainly a coincidence. Traffic in the strait has been increasing for years. Incidents happen.

People idly speculated during the prior accident with the Fitzgerald if a North Korean-loyal crew rammed them in a kind of asymmetric attack. That proved not to be the case. It's very unlikely to be the case now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    It's named after his father and grand-father, both Navy Admirals. Admiral John S. McCain, his father, was actually serving during Vietnam while John McCain was a PoW. The North Vietnamese tried to use him as a bargaining chip.

But don't worry. Given his role as a Naval Aviator who flew attack aircraft off of carriers (he was almost killed in the USS Forestal fire too), and due to his decades long central role in defense issues, don't be surprised if the fourth or fifth Ford Class Aircraft carrier is named USS John S McCain III.

Given how the second Ford class carrier is going to be the second USS John F. Kennedy and the third is going to be the ninth USS Enterprise, I wouldn't exactly expect a USS Bill Clinton, George W. Bush or Barack Obama.

Nixon also doesn't have a ship named after him.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost certainly a coincidence. Traffic in the strait has been increasing for years. Incidents happen.

People idly speculated during the prior accident with the Fitzgerald if a North Korean-loyal crew rammed them in a kind of asymmetric attack. That proved not to be the case. It's very unlikely to be the case now.

From what I've been reading both the tanker and freighter that were hit were huge ships that take a long time to turn and don't move all that fast. The warships can almost turn on a dime so they could've evaded the larger ships easily.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You might want to summon Skroe and inquire about level of training and readiness.
    The biggest issue facing the Navy is that they're doing an ~400 ship global strategy with ~280 ships, so crews are being kept at sea two months longer and ships are having maintennce deferred, soemtimes years as a time (which keeps them in repair longer and makes repair more expensive).

Quality of sailors training is reportedly in very good shape, but the fact remains that overworking crews and ships is as every bit a concern. That may not be the case here - it's very likely there was a series of mistakes in an increasingly congested area - but it does lead to incidents in any workplace.

The military simply needs at least another $100 billion a year to do the job that their civilian masters ask them to do. Maybe as much as $150 billion. We have to give them at. Or we need to sharply curb our requirements for them and ask them to do less. But I'll say it again: we're in year 20 of (among other things), asking the Navy to execute a 400 ship plan with 280 ships, asking the Army to execute a 700,000 man plan with ~490,000 man, and asking the air force to execute a 2500 fixed wing fighter plan with about 1200ish. Exactly at what point do we properly resource them or cut back the requirement? We can't have our cake and eat it too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    From what I've been reading both the tanker and freighter that were hit were huge ships that take a long time to turn and don't move all that fast. The warships can almost turn on a dime so they could've evaded the larger ships easily.
    Yep. There's a rules of the road though. The damage this time doesn't seem to be nearly as severe s the Fitzgerald, which will cost ~$500 million to repair, twice as much as the USS Cole.. This impact flooded compartments too, which is probably where the missing crew are. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The biggest issue facing the Navy is that they're doing an ~400 ship global strategy with ~280 ships, so crews are being kept at sea two months longer and ships are having maintennce deferred, soemtimes years as a time (which keeps them in repair longer and makes repair more expensive).

Quality of sailors training is reportedly in very good shape, but the fact remains that overworking crews and ships is as every bit a concern. That may not be the case here - it's very likely there was a series of mistakes in an increasingly congested area - but it does lead to incidents in any workplace.

The military simply needs at least another $100 billion a year to do the job that their civilian masters ask them to do. Maybe as much as $150 billion. We have to give them at. Or we need to sharply curb our requirements for them and ask them to do less. But I'll say it again: we're in year 20 of (among other things), asking the Navy to execute a 400 ship plan with 280 ships, asking the Army to execute a 700,000 man plan with ~490,000 man, and asking the air force to execute a 2500 fixed wing fighter plan with about 1200ish. Exactly at what point do we properly resource them or cut back the requirement? We can't have our cake and eat it too.
    You get no argument from me on this... None at all.

I understand you want to make wild fanciful claims, then you flee when challenged... that is okay... it shows your integrity... Since you have none our conversation is over... I hope you understand that I have no more time to give you.
    no ones fleeing, im calling you on your bullshit and you want me to produce evidence of the lacking of reporting which if somthing wasnt reported there would be zero evidence, yet you make retarded claims about how all maritime accidents get into the news but cant seem to back it up.

15+ Year Old Account
    How did it even happen?

How does this even happen with today's technology?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    no ones fleeing, im calling you on your bullshit and you want me to produce evidence of the lacking of reporting which if somthing wasnt reported there would be zero evidence, yet you make retarded claims about how all maritime accidents get into the news but cant seem to back it up.
    Really? I said ALL maritime accidents get into the news? Surely you can back up that EXACT claim, or do you believe your own lies?

Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    Apparently the ship lost the ability to steer while on approach into the strait. Unclear why the crew couldn't use backup systems.
    If this is acurate:
    http://www.uscarriers.net/ddg56history.htm

The John S McCain hasn't been back to the United States in the 21st century. It's had all repairs done at Naval Base Yokosuka, which has drydock facilities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...t_Yokosuka.jpg

Would not be surprised if there was a malfunction of workhorse of a ship which has seen its maintenance schedule pushed back.

If you are on a ship and want to return to port for awhile I guess the thing now is to ram another ship?

Time for a new skipper