Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That was an option? I assumed you could only spend bond points on Class VII members.
    You can spend time with characters who aren't apart of Class VII as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's the first Trails of Cold steel. Durante is currently working on the PC port of the second one. XSEED announced that both games would be coming to PC this year, so hopefully not too long.
    Can you link a source for this? I could've sworn I've seen that they were releasing cold steel 2 by the end of the yr too, but I can't seem to find it.

Since we have people still playing this game, let's talk about characters and our various thoughts on them: who's your favorite? Who's your least favorite? Who do you think is interesting? Who do you want to learn more about? Who's best girl?
    Spoiler warning up to the beginning of chapter 6 below. Because' that's my progress.

Spoiler: 

Favourite Character: Fie.
    That intro scene grappling hook sold me 100% on the character. I also tend to prefer the speedster/rogue playstyle and Fie fits that perfectly. So needless to say, I ended up with a maxed link with Fie very early on, and she was in my party whenever I could. I'm not sure I want to use tems like "best girl", but Fie is certainly my favourite character amongst the bunch; and it's not for the lack of competition in character writing. The combination of battle-hardened not-caring-much attitude, which is really just a repressed desire to just make some friends - it makes for a very good character and her gardening story arc simply ended up being very touching.

Worst Character: Millicent
    That voice acting is still scarring my ears thinking about it. I mean, it's a perfect rendition of what the character is supposed to be, but damned if it doesn't hurt listening to. But even if I overlook that, I can't help but think this character is a Mary Sue. 13 year old prodigy without any fears whatsoever, whose character quirk is spouting deep secrets about places, factions and people you encounter like it was everybody's business. I mean... come on. The ADHD doesn't help either. Any character worth reading about need an opposing force, be that a rival, social pressure, or just boredom: Millicent has neither, and that makes her Mary Sue. For Millie to be redeemable as a character she kinda needs to learn fear. The haunted castle was a great opportunity. It surprisingly, tried for about two scenes. Then forgot about it completely.

Plus... I can't help think she's just a spy planted to keep an eye on the class. She is a spy after all, and that timing of transfer, right?

Endgame spoiler, do not read unless you finished the game: Second thought suggests that's just what the game [I]wants[/I] me to think, and that Crow who conveniently joined at the same time is the real spy here. And lo-and-behold, then it all clicks in my mind. Crow is C. Trails wiki confirms it. But at least Crow is not obnoxious, so that's okay. I still like Crow more. As such, I can somewhat forgive Millie for being what she is - a plot distraction to take focus away from Crow. But she's still [I]bloody[/I] annoying!

Need to know more about: Emma
    I still have one chapter left, but I really like how the game keeps playing with the "Witch Emma" hints. From Celine to healing/unlocking sewer doors spells, to magic barrier knowledge she learned from her grandma, to what is clearly an agenda revolving Rean's monster form. Her chapter 6 bonding scene even showed a magic trick to Rean directly. I kinda doubt we will see more of it in this game, but ... maybe? I'm in suspense what the schtick is here either way.

Also; Angelica. The noble misfit. It's a great character, really, and she has a lot of untapped potential. Looking forward to seeing more of her!
    Also; Misty. I suppose time will tell.

Callout to awesome character writing
    I must admit I truly loved the banter between Jusius and Machias. Machias starts out as a ball of hate, and Jusius never really gets off the personality trait where he instinctively exploits other people's anger. The two are itching for a fight, and it is a painful yet glorious spectacle. I also really really liked how the two made up. It was simply put, believable. They were both playing a game, and they both passed the reality check to tone it back to a game.

Related, Patrick seriously grows on me the longer the game runs. He went from arrogant stereotype snob, to genuine supporting character in what was a really well-written process. This also in turn affects the dynamic of the fencing club, and I can't help smile thinking "my" actions made some difference in the world. That's a very good achievement in a game.

Third, Laura. Her entire character is so godamned well consistent. She's the knight. That's her archetype, and she does it thoroughly well. Even when loathing Fie, she never lets the Knight mask drop. Yet it is clear to everyone that she is truly struggling to maintain that mask. I do not think it is possible to finish Chapter 4 without respecting Laura as a character - and that means she's just extremely well written.

And fourth+fifth... can I say that I love the very minor side character Vivi to death? She's such a ball of tormenting chaos, and her twin sister is always getting the short stick. The exploitations of Mint is also always fun to read about. "I'm making things in the kitchen all the time. Last week I made the oven explode. The cooking club threw me out complaining that water shouldn't possibly catch fire." Side characters like this is what makes Trails games so glorious.

Callout to character writing that I think could have been better
    Miss Tsundere -chan I think started out as a bit of a heavy cliché. I mean, so is the over-endowed bespeckled class president stereotype. The difference is that the latter isn't overplayed. I think what truly broke the illusion was when she showed Rean the the correct answer on the first class question. If not for that scene, pressed in between two scenes where she loathed Rean, I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it I think. But thanks to that scene; I couldn't get past the point that she too was playing a game. But unlike Jusis/Malachi, I never once believed a normal person could behave that way. Similarly, her resentment to her mother isn't terribly well done I think. I think her relationship to Sharon is a lot better written - Sharon actually betrayed her (and let's not forget the undertones that Sharon is really the person in charge of the company). I can totally understand that resentment. Her mother, probably not.

I'm about to start on "her" chapter, so we'll see how it plays out!

Also, Gaius. He's boring. Every character in the game has some sort of secret to them. Gaius just doesn't hold any mystery after you're introduced to his village. I know the game tries, by telling about things like saving the best fighter in the empire from a monster (seriously, not believable if talks about Vander's fighting power is to be trusted) and giving the illusion that he has that depth. But all he serves is as the ineffectual voice of reason. Problem is, Elliot does that job as well, without being devoid of personality in the process. I kind of like to think that this person has more to add to the story in a later chapter, but right now it doesn't sound like it will ever be the case.

TLDR
    Great game. I hope to finish it tonight.

Last edited by Danner; 2017-08-17 at 09:31 AM.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since we have people still playing this game, let's talk about characters and our various thoughts on them: who's your favorite? Who's your least favorite? Who do you think is interesting? Who do you want to learn more about? Who's best girl?
    Influenced by Cold Steel 2, so I won't go into detail about the reasons, but:

Sara best girl/favorite
    Machias and Elliot least favorite, followed by Gaius. Pre-CS2 I'd have put Jusis on the same level as Gaius as well. That's not to say they're bad characters, I like them all honestly, just some not as much as others.

As for who I want to learn more about..pre-CS2 that'd be Emma. post-CS2, it's characters that weren't in CS1

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    *spoilers snip*
    I think CS2 will probably fix some of the issues you have with your worst character. Maybe.
    Last edited by Cattleya; 2017-08-17 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I think CS2 will probably fix some of the issues you have with your worst character. Maybe.
    I interpret this as a unbreakable promise that she becomes mute.
    And I will hate you forever if that isn't the case
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    Can you link a source for this? I could've sworn I've seen that they were releasing cold steel 2 by the end of the yr too, but I can't seem to find it.
    http://www.pcgamer.com/the-legend-of...-pc-next-week/

My bad, no release date so far, just the first one was confirmed for this year. Considering that Cold Steel 2 is built on the exact same engine, I'll probably get ported in less time than the first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Also, Gaius. He's boring. Every character in the game has some sort of secret to them. Gaius just doesn't hold any mystery after you're introduced to his village. I know the game tries, by telling about things like saving the best fighter in the empire from a monster (seriously, not believable if talks about Vander's fighting power is to be trusted) and giving the illusion that he has that depth. But all he serves is as the ineffectual voice of reason. Problem is, Elliot does that job as well, without being devoid of personality in the process. I kind of like to think that this person has more to add to the story in a later chapter, but right now it doesn't sound like it will ever be the case.
    Gaius and Elliot are actually among my favorites, simply for how normal they are in the cast. I don't think every character needs a mystery or tragic backstory. They helped ground the story. Also, if I remember correctly, Gaius saved a lone Vander from being killed by a wolf ambush, so I believed it. I don't think that there's any one voice of reason; pretty much everyone in the party who isn't Alisa (or M) acts responsibly and rationally.

Speaking of M, (Chapter 5 spoilers) I believe Jusis is there to offset Millium, as he's the straight-man to Millium's naivety. Just look at how many interactions they have!

Oh, and yeah, Patrick is great! (ending spoilers) I really wish he's a party member in the sequel!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok I just finished the first game of Trails in the Sky with a solid 70 hours playthrough. An amazing JRPG I enjoyed every min of it. Even though it was kinda predictable and easy overall (but then again I only played it in normal difficulty I guess I have to replay it with nightmare or something like that) with the exception of one boss Second Lieutenant Lorence second fight when he removed his mask damn the fight was tough because I was not prepared and didn't have enough accessories to be immune to confusion and mute debuffs but yeah after dying to him 5 times I somehow defeated him by separating my team members in different corner of the fight and even the kill took me so long because he heals way too much and very fast but yeah using Kloe craft by reducing his attack and defense to 50% was the key of the kill

Overall I enjoyed the game so much. The ending was cool I kinda knew that Colonel Richard will somehow do something to redeem himself but I didn't know he will survive the encounters against that big machine though I was thinking he will give his life to save the heroes haha. And about that Archaelogist Alba yeah it was a nice twist when he first appeared in the game I kinda had an eerie feeling toward him and his eyes expression kinda reminded me of Lezard Valeth wizard from Valkyrie Profile RPG but yeah it was a nice reveal at the end and my favorite character is obviously Joshua he is awesome.

And now gonna start playing the second chapter yay.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2017-08-21 at 05:25 PM.

@Velshin what are your thought's on FC's orbment system?

10+ Year Old Account
    @Velshin what are your thought's on FC's orbment system?
    Man it's super amazing and fun. It kinda reminded me of the original materia system in FF7 in the ps1. Sometimes I spend like 15 mins or even more just playing around with the orbment system. I hope they bring it back in the second and third chapters!

has anyone finished cold steel 1? is the cliffhanger they talk about actually that bad?

has anyone finished cold steel 1? is the cliffhanger they talk about actually that bad?
    I finished it last week, and it's the same situation as Trails in the Sky FC: the story of Sen no Kiseki is simply too big to be covered in a single game (Cold Steel 1 took 90 hours to finish), so it's divided into games with each game focusing on an arc in the story. The game's standalone school arc is wrapped up though, and you get some answers (while a whole string of other questions are brought up) while you have to wait for the sequel to see how the greater-scope conflict that plagues the empire is resolved.

10+ Year Old Account
    So playing Trails of Sky second chapter now and loaded my save from the first Trails. I noticed by doing that I got my junior bracer book with me in the items inventory and basically all of my previous quests from the previous game but yeah other than that is there anything else carried on the second game? stuff that affect the storyline I mean not just gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    So playing Trails of Sky second chapter now and loaded my save from the first Trails. I noticed by doing that I got my junior bracer book with me in the items inventory and basically all of my previous quests from the previous game but yeah other than that is there anything else carried on the second game? stuff that affect the storyline I mean not just gameplay.
    Estelle's level carries over, your Junior Bracer Book, you get items depending on how much BP you had at the end of FC, and NPCs in SC will remember if you previously had helped them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Just finished it, and i must say....im really disappointed. In a worst (aka in "only 8/10" way) (spoilers for both sky games and 1st cold steel below)

First of all the game is absurdly easy. I played it on hard, seeing how nightmare was branded as NG+ setting, and it was nothing like sky games. All bosses for first 3/4 of game are absurdly underpowered and pose no danger. All quest mobs/bosses are just boring motivation/forte and spam crafts. And on topic of crafts, the change of gravity from arts to crafts really wasn't good idea after all. All characters have far too powerful crafts (especially the fact that half of them have absurdly strong delay crafts that completely trivialize almost all encounters) makes combat very boring. In general the game really lacked good combat design and almost all fights just feel the same and don't require you to change tactics in any way shape or form. On my whole playthrough on hard i saw game over 3 times, once on ice dragon in school (mostly because i didn't expected any resistance after sad display from previous bosses) once on undead king (which simply requires you to have anti-nightmare items) and once on C (because i didn't expect them to throw 2 bosses one after another and resource starved myself on 1st one)

Add to that abundance of status effects. With overhaul of status system, they moved 180 degree from something that was aimed against player and used mostly as boss mechanics, now they became players greatest tool with everything applying them between crafts (who often apply two of them), master quartz (some of which can apply any at random) and quartz (who once again often apply 2 of them) its often possible to induce so many of them that enemy status bar turns into rainbow.

Oh and add horrible crippling of quartz/arts system in general. Really underwhelming what they did to it.
    Also last boss is such a disappointment. It goes for worst thing possible - making all your "RPG" progress completely pointless instead introducing a boss fight from monster girl quest.

Now for story spoilers....it tried way too hard to be worthy successor to trails in the sky. It falls into trap of trying to be bigger and better X by mimicing huge part of Sky games but just like many sequels it ends up with "Like X but worse". Its like falcom really wanted to separate itself from JRPG tropes only to fall into mariana trench of anime cliches.

For the story itself, the game is painfully aware that its 1st in trilogy. Unlike TiTS FC which created a story competent both on its own and as part of series, CS just throws more exposition after exposition. For 4 and half chapters nothing happens with more and more characters being introduced and with more exposition being thrown at you, with and without context. Most of which wears badge of "to be continued/relevant in next game". Far to many things lack proper explanation, and far too many (like whole terrorist group) are being shrugged with one liners.

Now for characters....its certainly difficult to match writing and cast of TiTS, and CS surely doesn't do it. There are far, far too many anime cliches, and unlike TITS that carefully introduced characters, and gave them their time to shine CS for most part sticks to generic anime tropes all too familiar to people reading manga or watching anime.
    The cast is
    Rean - aka generic anime protagonist. Seriously, you can substitute any male protag from harem anime and you will realise you got 100% personality match. Plus generic anime speeches (DONT LOOOSE YOUR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY) and standard issue inner dankness.
    Alisa - aka tsunderes are still funny right ? Bumping into main protag at start of series ? Check. Blaming protag for something stupid ? Check. Acting like a retard everytime he has any contact with other female ? Check. "Its not like i like you or anything..b-b-b-b-b-baka !
    Eliot - aka your betaest friend. Nothing to say here. The music arc he has is pretty cute tho. In general he is pretty cute.
    Gaius - aka i don't need plot relevance or character development if im great as i am. Boring but still cool. Kinda like Zin, and i like them both for not being pretensional. My 2nd fav. +10 point for biggest plot twist, aka normal and functional family
    Fie - aka "i can't believe they are selling joshuas as waifus now". Tho she is my fav companion mostly for being one of few characters with actual character development. Her night "date" in roer, is one of my favourite moments in game, and something this game desperately needed more (for other characters and her)
    Machias - aka asshole type 1
    Jusis - aka asshole type 2
    Laura - aka "i have 2 meter long stick in my ass"
    Emma - aka white mage girl. Suffering from slight social handicap for not being properly speak about what is going on, and being incapable of explaining shit before it hits the fan.
    Millium - aka renne wins 10 out of 10 times.
    Crow - aka it certainly isn't joshua level of attachment i developed for him. Its definately better plot twist than most in this game, but one that was obviously coming with him being 2nd year.

Now quick honorable mentions to side characters:
    Vita - aka after weissman noone is buying what you are selling (aka too obvious plot twist spoiled in intro)
    Sara - aka cool adult - aka "i can't believe she is not joke character". She is like shera, but after 5 years of overdosing anime cliches.
    Sharon - aka killer maids is new and interesting concept. + 10 point for being randomly ourobos enforcer, so the game doesnt need to develop interesting villains, with her already being on protag side.
    Ragin lesbo - aka angelica, aka "the room is ripe with stench of bitches".
    Super cliched and "quirky" teacher cast.
    And terrorist, but noone really cares about them. #josetteisbestwaifu
    Towa aka too good for this world, took her for too many festival activities.
    Starring Phantom Thief as fan favourite aka "at least its not another loewe".
    Oh and i forgot - the creepy sister who is far to into incest. Estelle and joshua could get away with this, given how their relationship was painted from start. You are just a creep.

Also, holy shitting, dying family members are far too common for cast of teenagers attending school.

Now all those problems could be forgiven. If not for a fact that final boss being sword duel between 2 giant robots with talking cat helping you pilot. With hilarious serious and emotional background. I must say, that this was easily the funniest moment in whole game. The one thing it lacked whas celline yelling "Shut up rean and get to the fucking robot".

All in all, i really hope 2nd part is better. And more sky-like.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2017-08-25 at 01:02 AM.

Welp, I just finished Cold Steel 1 and I enjoyed it. I'm hooked liked I was with Trails in the sky and can't wait for the second chapter to see what they end up doing. The combat did grow on me a bit but I still prefer it much better in trails in the sky. The twist at the end was pretty good and I personally didn't see it coming.

End game spoilers.
    I really hope Rean doesn't end up with his sister because they already did that in trails in the sky and much better in my opinion so far. And the main cast better survive into the next game or I'm gonna be pissed.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    End game spoilers.
    I really hope Rean doesn't end up with his sister because they already did that in trails in the sky and much better in my opinion so far. And the main cast better survive into the next game or I'm gonna be pissed.
    My speculation in response to to the above CS1 spoilers, haven't played CS2 yet.
    I'm rooting for her because it tears at my heart every time I see a childhood friend who has unrequited love for the MC get left in the dust... which is every anime and JRPG ever. Seriously, it's borderline malicious the dozens and dozens of times I see them lose. That's why I'm an Elise sympathizer; but considering it's Japan, it's more than likely that Falcom will just leave her in the dust for the stock tsundere Alisa, who only ever teases Rean and never did anything substantial in their relationship. Seriously, knock it off with the tsunderes writers! It was intriguing when NGE did it with Asuka (and made sense, as it tied into her backstory), then it became an archetype, and now it's just a cliche cliche. It glorifies abuse and adolescent immaturity. It's a dead horse now.

At least Elise ACTUALLY CARES; cares enough to spend two hours of her time ON A SCHOOL DAY to visit Rean and lay it out for him. Hell, if not Elise, than at least Towa or Laura, but PLEASE FALCOM, don't canonize Alisa! *pleads narmishly*

10+ Year Old Account
    10+ hours playthrough Trails of Sky second chapter I must say it's slower than the first game but not bad at all. I like the upgrading orbment system it is fantastic. I mean the orbment system in general is very fun it reminded me so much of the materia system of Final Fantasy 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    10+ hours playthrough Trails of Sky second chapter I must say it's slower than the first game but not bad at all. I like the upgrading orbment system it is fantastic. I mean the orbment system in general is very fun it reminded me so much of the materia system of Final Fantasy 7.
    It gets really fucking good at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    It gets really fucking good at the end.
    Ohh I am enjoying it so much I have no doubt about it that it will be fantastic for sure

I am just saying that the start is kinda slower than the first game haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Im kinda worried that Xseed is avoiding subject of Zero/ao. I know that those games would be both port and translation port, but its kinda weird to play series with hole in the middle.