Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor McGregor View Post
    lol full blown alcoholics dont get hangovers. its just a regular day for them
    This is not true and it clearly tells me you never met a full-blown alcohol addict.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismembered View Post
    This is not true and it clearly tells me you never met a full-blown alcohol addict.
    i work with them every day cuz they can pass drug tests.

its awesome. you never know what kind of mood they will be in

the best is when i see them check into a bar on facebook at 1 am on a worknight
    Last edited by Fat Mac; 2017-08-22 at 10:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    im with you.

if you can keep your habits in check and get your work done then no one should be able to say shit about what you do after work.
    That is great and all, but for certain places it isn't a risk worth taking.

One might be able to keep it in check but not everyone will be able to. And if you can keep it in check, then you can keep it in check during the working periods and only do drugs during your vacation.

As it was said in the article, the company can't afford the better tests, which they should if they wish this policy.

But if I was running a company, and I had jop openings around machinery, I'd rather not hire one coming out as under the influence, just for the safety of him/her and the company.

- - - Updated - - -

good thing you can be a full blown alcoholic and get the job yay
    I know this answer from research of experiencing three full blown alcoholics. My father, and my mother's two other husbands. All have lost their jobs because they were fullblown alcoholics.

One had a job as a smith and welder in various companies - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing (3 times).
    One had a job as a senior programmer in the medical industry - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing.
    One had a job as a onsight rigger in the oil industry - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing.

So, no. Don't believe that all alcoholics can keep their jobs just because they pass a drug screening.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    That is great and all, but for certain places it isn't a risk worth taking.

One might be able to keep it in check but not everyone will be able to. And if you can keep it in check, then you can keep it in check during the working periods and only do drugs during your vacation.

As it was said in the article, the company can't afford the better tests, which they should if they wish this policy.

But if I was running a company, and I had jop openings around machinery, I'd rather not hire one coming out as under the influence, just for the safety of him/her and the company.

- - - Updated - - -

I know this answer from research of experiencing three full blown alcoholics. My father, and my mother's two other husbands. All have lost their jobs because they were fullblown alcoholics.

One had a job as a smith and welder in various companies - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing (3 times).
    One had a job as a senior programmer in the medical industry - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing.
    One had a job as a onsight rigger in the oil industry - fired due to his drinking going full out everyday thing.

So, no. Don't believe that all alcoholics can keep their jobs just because they pass a drug screening.

the point being you can still get the job because they can pass the test.

kind of proving my point, i would rather hire a pothead over a drunk any day of the week. im am pretty sure your 3 examples were a fucking joy to work with for their co workers

10+ Year Old Account
    the point being you can still get the job because they can pass the test.

kind of proving my point, i would rather hire a pothead over a drunk any day of the week
    I'd rather not hire any of them. Both kinds a liability to the business. Especially if with machinery.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    no shit, anyone can lose their job.. passing a drug test just gets you in

- - - Updated - - -

I'd rather not hire any of them. Both kinds a liability to the business. Especially if with machinery.
    oh this is true. im definitely not argueing that point. good luck filling out jobs though.

the thing is with drunks is you usually dont find this out till after they are hired. the work never stops and you always need people.

we dont drug test people at our work unless they get hurt. from experience its just more pleasant to work with non drunks.. ive dealt with crack heads. coke heads, herion junkies, drunks. its extremely frustrating
    Last edited by Fat Mac; 2017-08-22 at 10:53 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    If I can't go home after a long work day and smoke a joint, rather than drink a fuckin 6-pack, There's something wrong.

Period.
    Whats wrong is you using illegal drugs and being an alcoholic.

i should say that i dont condone working in a factory or driving while stoned, im talking about when i get off at 5 and go home. my employer shouldnt be able to hold it against me that i smoked a joint. the effects have long since worn off by the next day anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Whats wrong is you using illegal drugs and being an alcoholic.
    whats wrong about it? some people just like to chill that way. you probably bird watch or some shit, to each their own.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Deleted
    i should say that i dont condone working in a factory or driving while stoned, im talking about when i get off at 5 and go home. my employer shouldnt be able to hold it against me that i smoked a joint. the effects have long since worn off by the next day anyways.

- - - Updated - - -

whats wrong about it? some people just like to chill that way. you probably bird watch or some shit, to each their own.
    Nothing wrong with it, just don't come running when you don't get hired when your a pot smoking alcoholic.

- - - Updated - - -

I for one am happy I don't need a mind altering substance to unwind.

And if can't stop smoking pot long enough to pass a drug test, you have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    You don't see an issue with large portions of the working age able bodied population sitting around getting high instead of working? By their own choice mind you, the jobs are there, they are simply disqualifying themselves with their drug use.
    Is it really any worse than drinking beer so long as it's done responsibly? I don't smoke pot but even I know not everyone that does is a lazy ne'erdowell who can't show up to work sober.

If the federal government legalizes pot then yes I think factories in states where it is legal should get different drug tests. For now though, as I understand it it's still technically illegal in the whole country and it's just the federal government doesn't see it as worth their time to pursue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever you do off hours, ain't no ones business. Though, one has to realize that we don't have that good tests yet. The best at the moment can still detect most drugs within a week.

Sad thing is, some would go to work under the influence. That is where my problem lies.

10+ Year Old Account
    no shit, anyone can lose their job.. passing a drug test just gets you in
    Indeed but it is the same with some companies running an alco-meter as well.

oh this is true. im definitely not argueing that point. good luck filling out jobs though.
    Jobs will always be filled, there is no question about that. If you can't take a break without drugs to secure your lifestyle, then said job isn't for you either.

the thing is with drunks is you usually dont find this out till after they are hired. the work never stops and you always need people.
    Again, the same with people under the influence of drugs. Not all companies do the screening and one day it can have a bad flip, and well, you might end up regretting signing with that person.

we dont drug test people at our work unless they get hurt.
    We don't drug test or alco-test without reason. Reason is normally built on their work profile background, which in our case, is an on hand thing compared to private companies. If you've had a past experience with heavy alcohol or drug influence, expect the job center to pull you in before you can sign a contract.

from experience its just more pleasant to work with non drunks.. ive dealt with crack heads. coke heads, herion junkies, drunks. its extremely frustrating
    From personal experience, I'd rather not work with any of those candidates. All can become a frustrating problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismembered View Post
    Yeah sure, show me an example where a full blown alcoholic gets a job.
    Find a lawyer. Odds are roughly 1 in 3 that they're a functional alcoholic.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Find a lawyer. Odds are roughly 1 in 3 that they're a functional alcoholic.
    Gotta do something to compensate for the complete lack of a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Prescriptions need to be restricted ALOT more and drug crime sentances should be increased.
    Correct on the former. Wrong on the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    You can rest assured that some people drink before they go to work, and honestly, you'll notice if someone is stoned just as much as you'll notice someone is drunk so I don't see why marijuana is being singled out here. OP's article sounds like a whole lot of bullcrap. If they don't want to be liable for hiring stoned people and causing accidents, they should get rid of their drugs tests.
    That doesn't change anything though...

The way things are, if I was working some deadend factory job in bumfuck ohio, I'd take drugs to, to get me through the day. The higher ups are just covering their ass and rightly so. Doesn't matter a damn anyway as all these people working the floor jobs will be replaced by automation anyway.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Not sure why so many people are under the influence of some kind of drugs. We do heavy civil constructions. Every time we start a new job, we have to get tested. The same with FBI background check. Every time I start a new airport project, a new school district, a correctional facility, power plant or a rail project, we also have to go through an FBI background check. Like I told my guys, in the proverbial sense, keep your nose clean. If I can’t use you, I have to let you go. Even something as simple as a DUI can keep you off a job. I had that happened with one of our sub’s employee at a correctional facility project.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the "I can do drugs and still be competent at work" comments.

I will not take on the liability, and I will not hire you.

If you think that is unfair it is not my problem to fix it is yours.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Weed is pretty easy to quit cold turkey so if you're failing a pre employment drug screen it's because you didn't really want the job.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, just don't come running when you don't get hired when your a pot smoking alcoholic.
    everyone should have a place in the work force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I for one am happy I don't need a mind altering substance to unwind.

And if can't stop smoking pot long enough to pass a drug test, you have a problem.
    or maybe i just like smoking pot. ive got long periods of time without and im fine. but if i can get my hands on it, im smoking it. actually the only reason i still play wow lol. cant stand the game when im sober
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...