Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Can't seem to cut weight.

Start with a little background, I'm 5'8 use to be 165 lbs about 6 years ago. got into a car crash broke my back and have a fusion from t4-t9 and some extensive nerve damage in my legs. Needless to say after all that i put on some lbs highest was 210. I've always exercised off and on but every time i would get into it and start feeling great again i would get injured and have to take a break.

I currently have a bulging disc in my lower back, a bad hip and knee on my right side probably due to my limp when i walk due to the nerve damage.

I started exercising again this year, i've pushed through the pain and have been going strong since march. I went from 205-195 pretty fast within a month. Now i have been fluctuating between 190-195 ever since and can't seem to lose anymore.

I have been keeping track of my calories intake, protein, fiber, carbs and all that. everything seems to be on the right track diet wise i think.

My exercise routine is 3 days a week basically full body workout on a bowflex sport, can't really handle more then that with my injuries. But i'm hoping as i get stronger the more i can exercise without hurting. And I am 45 mins from the nearest gym so thats about all i have

I start with 10 min cardio on a elliptical

Curls
    Tricep pull downs
    Chest Flys
    Bench Press
    seated Shoulder Press
    Seated Lat Rows
    Leg Extensions
    Squats
    Standing Leg Kick back
    leg curls
    Shoulder pull downs

I have no seen any gains in at least 2 months, what am i doing wrong? what can i change? What can be improved?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdie View Post
    Start with a little background, I'm 5'8 use to be 165 lbs about 6 years ago. got into a car crash broke my back and have a fusion from t4-t9 and some extensive nerve damage in my legs. Needless to say after all that i put on some lbs highest was 210. I've always exercised off and on but every time i would get into it and start feeling great again i would get injured and have to take a break.

I currently have a bulging disc in my lower back, a bad hip and knee on my right side probably due to my limp when i walk due to the nerve damage.

I started exercising again this year, i've pushed through the pain and have been going strong since march. I went from 205-195 pretty fast within a month. Now i have been fluctuating between 190-195 ever since and can't seem to lose anymore.

I have been keeping track of my calories intake, protein, fiber, carbs and all that. everything seems to be on the right track diet wise i think.

My exercise routine is 3 days a week basically full body workout on a bowflex sport, can't really handle more then that with my injuries. But i'm hoping as i get stronger the more i can exercise without hurting. And I am 45 mins from the nearest gym so thats about all i have

Curls
    Tricep pull downs
    Chest Flys
    Bench Press
    seated Shoulder Press
    Seated Lat Rows
    Leg Extensions
    Squats
    Standing Leg Kick back
    leg curls
    Shoulder pull downs

I have no seen any gains in at least 2 months, what am i doing wrong? what can i change? What can be improved?
    Hello sir,

I work for a pretty large food supplement company and I am a ex-professional sporter myself. I might (maybe, because of your physical history) be able to help you with your problem. Do you want help in this forum, or rather have a personal message?

Greetings,

Grumpymuppet

10+ Year Old Account
    How about fat? what kind of fat do you eat mostly and do you stay hydrated enough on a daily basis?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I drink plenty of water all day long, and Average 70 grams of fat per day roughly 15 grams of saturated fat per day. from what my app says that i have been tracking over the last 2 months

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdie View Post

Curls
    Tricep pull downs
    Chest Flys
    Bench Press
    seated Shoulder Press
    Seated Lat Rows
    Leg Extensions
    Squats
    Standing Leg Kick back
    leg curls
    Shoulder pull downs

Cutting weight is not so much about working out as it is about diet.

Eat five small meals/ day.

Do not eat for up to four hours before bed. (especially no carbs at this time) * important*

Have the most carbs in the first meal of the day (same with calories). Cut the carbs and calories each meal as you go.

Try to get in some morning cardio (even if it is just a 30 mins intense walk). Do this cardio before you eat anything.

As for your workout- try switching it up more. the body adjusts- so you constantly have to change it up. Try: different exercises, different reps/ weight (if you go light for 12 reps typically, try going a little heavier for 6 reps), more/less cardio, supersets, staggered sets, negative sets and even half rep sets.

10 mins of cardio is very light. Aim for 30-45 mins.

Also- just try to move around more during your day (walk more, steps more, etc).

Good luck, just stick with it and bust through that plateau.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess i should add, I'm not working out just to cut weight, but to also strengthen my body so i stop being so damn sore and hurt all the time. Just fed up with the pain, the last few months have been good with this routine with very little pain. So i will stick with it im just curious as to why I'm not seeing any gains/losses.

and i defiantly appreciate all the feedback and thank you all for taking the time to read/respond.

Deleted
    2 months is barely enough time to see gains. Especially if you are not young on your 18 - 25's

Also more important than the workout itself is the diet and allowing the muscle to rest. Space your muscle groups throughout the schedule

go on a water fast, you will lose alot of weight. im on a water fast right now, havent eaten anything in 18 days. only thing i take in is water and a small handful of salt everyday and occasionally a potassium and magnesium tablet
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    go on a water fast, you will lose alot of weight. im on a water fast right now, havent eaten anything in 18 days. only thing i take in is water and a small handful of salt everyday and occasionally a potassium and magnesium tablet
    ??? You must be joking.

@Dirdie, I want you to know that you're doing great so far. You've got the discipline that's needed. When you hit a plateau in weight loss, you need to find a way to break through it. The best way is to make a small adjustment to either exercise or diet. Since your injuries prevent you from going much harder, I would make a small adjustment to your diet. Without knowing much else, that's all I can say, so feel free to post your diet here, or PM me and I can help go through it and maybe see what you can do.

I know what you're experiencing because I'm going through it now. I've lost 175lbs and I have another 15 to go. But I've hit sticking points on the way, so I just make adjustments and try out what works until I hit another sticking point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ??? You must be joking.
    No, fasting is good for you, I also smoke alot of weed. Weed triggers the same part of your brain that fasting does so i don't get the munchies and I stopped being hungry after day 2. I've already lost 50 pounds. If you work out everyday like usual you won't lose any muscles. Your body enters ketosis and only feeds on body fat and the ketones in your blood
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

I'm sorry what.

Aside from the trolling, this advice could literally kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'm sorry what.

Aside from the trolling, this advice could literally kill someone.
    no im not trolling and no it wont fucking kill someone jesus christ. im sorry that you have no clue about fasting but people have fasted for literally thousands of years.

after 2 - 3 days your body enters ketosis, it cleans out your body and unless you're a complete idiot your body will tell you and you will know when you're getting low on body fat and need to eat. the desire to eat will remain past your hunger fading away but its more like when you're bored and just want to eat something but arent hungry, its a desire not a need.

if his main goal is gaining muscle mass he likely wont gain any on a fast but he will lose plenty of body fat, which might look like he gained muscle mass but really just revealed the muscle underlying the skin. the only thing your body cant get from itself is sodium potassium and magnesium. some people also do fasts with vitamins but i prefer not to as when i tried doing it with vitamins they gave me diarrhea (and you already have to deal with that a little during a fast due to your bladder still producing bile and also whatever has been sitting in your bowels slowly getting removed.

some people also do alternate day fasts and juice fasts but during those you will lose much less weight since your body will never enter ketosis. on a water fast you lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a day on average although after the first 10 days this slows down to about 1 to 1.5 a day since your body becomes more adjusted to feeding on the fat and your metabolism goes down.

afterwards you have to ease yourself back into eating since your metabolism will be low, start out with broths and small amounts of fruits. if you drink juice get a blender/juicer otherwise you're just drinking sugar water.

No, fasting is good for you, I also smoke alot of weed. Weed triggers the same part of your brain that fasting does so i don't get the munchies and I stopped being hungry after day 2. I've already lost 50 pounds. If you work out everyday like usual you won't lose any muscles. Your body enters ketosis and only feeds on body fat and the ketones in your blood
    Fucking hell that's some top kek bro science jesus christ.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Fucking hell that's some top kek bro science jesus christ.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

its not bro science. thats just how our body works.

the ENTIRE PURPOSE of fat is to be used as stored energy when we have no food. thats its job.

- - - Updated - - -

for those who dont want to read

"Longer-term ketosis may result from fasting or staying on a low-carbohydrate diet (ketogenic diet), and deliberately induced ketosis serves as a medical intervention for various conditions, such as intractable epilepsy, and the various types of diabetes.[6] In glycolysis, higher levels of insulin promote storage of body fat and block release of fat from adipose tissues, while in ketosis, fat reserves are readily released and consumed.[5][7] For this reason, ketosis is sometimes referred to as the body's "fat burning" mode.[8]"

10+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

its not bro science. thats just how our body works.

the ENTIRE PURPOSE of fat is to be used as stored energy when we have no food. thats its job.

- - - Updated - - -

for those who dont want to read

"Longer-term ketosis may result from fasting or staying on a low-carbohydrate diet (ketogenic diet), and deliberately induced ketosis serves as a medical intervention for various conditions, such as intractable epilepsy, and the various types of diabetes.[6] In glycolysis, higher levels of insulin promote storage of body fat and block release of fat from adipose tissues, while in ketosis, fat reserves are readily released and consumed.[5][7] For this reason, ketosis is sometimes referred to as the body's "fat burning" mode.[8]"
    You can be in ketosis without fasting* for 18 days... just limit your carb intake to below 20g a day, manage your fat/protein levels and eat at a deficit.
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-08-22 at 02:11 PM.

also a source for weed triggering the same parts of the brain as fasting

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scienc...ies-180949660/

The one aspect that ties together these disparate mechanisms is that they all involve the brain's natural endocannabinoid systems. THC—and, by consequence, marijuana—does much of its work by manipulating the same pathways that the brain uses to normally regulate the senses.

But perhaps most interesting is that the new study hints at a compelling metaphor for the way THC manipulates this natural system: it mimics sensations felt when we're deprived of food. As a final test, the researchers forced some mice to fast for 24 hours, and found that this drove up levels of natural cannabinoids in the olfactory lobe. Not surprisingly, these starved mice showed greater scent sensitivity and ate much more too.

Most intriguing, the genetically engineered mice with olfactory lobes that lacked cannabinoid receptors did not show increased scent sensitivity or appetite even when they were starved. This indicates that both THC and the natural cannabinoids that result from starvation are acting on the same neural pathway to allow us to smell and taste with greater sensitivity, and thus eat more. In other words, THC appears to give us the munchies by convincing our brains that we're starving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    You can be in ketosis without fasting* for 18 days... just limit your carb intake to below 20g a day, manage your fat/protein levels and eat at a deficit.
    yes but thats a very very small amount. me personally, i find it easier to just not eat at all. once i start eating its usually very hard to stop the first time i do so. and you'll end up having much worse diarrhea. last thing you want to do is be at work and shit your pants man.

I also smoke alot of weed.
    Never would have guessed.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes but thats a very very small amount. me personally, i find it easier to just not eat at all. once i start eating its usually very hard to stop the first time i do so. and you'll end up having much worse diarrhea. last thing you want to do is be at work and shit your pants man.
    I mean I guess. That's a problem with will power then. I've had amazing results with a ketogenic diet and its basically the perfect diet for me when I'm trying to cut. Once I'm in ketosis I have very little cravings and even when I'm eating once I finish a meal I'm satisfied and can stop right there. Also eat more fiber don't just eat nothing but greasy fat and protein lol

18 days without eating anything and just drinking water sounds... miserable to put it lightly.

Not sure how you have the will power to not eat for 18 days but can't stop yourself from over eating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    Never would have guessed.
    it helps ALOT with hunger pangs. and when i say smoke, i really mean vape, i have a dry herb vaporizer so i just grind it up, put it in there then when im done i put my abv in a little tin and make edibles with it once the tin is full (or i vape it again on a higher temp if im low on supply)

on a fast you will have a little bit of aches and pains, you'll get tired more easily. it helps so much to be able to just chillax

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I mean I guess. That's a problem with will power then. I've had amazing results with a ketogenic diet and its basically the perfect diet for me when I'm trying to cut. Once I'm in ketosis I have very little cravings and even when I'm eating once I finish a meal I'm satisfied and can stop right there. Also eat more fiber don't just eat nothing but greasy fat and protein lol

18 days without eating anything and just drinking water sounds... miserable to put it lightly.

Not sure how you have the will power to not eat for 18 days but can't stop yourself from over eating.
    its mostly the people i live with. its very hard to stick with a diet when you have multiple overweight people constantly pushing food onto you, its easier to just tell them no all together. if i do eat, id have to make my own seperate meals and buy my own seperate food and i live in a house with 6 people.

once i get off my fast im going to switch to an alternate day fasting cycle so i dont have to worry about that