Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Just some numbers:

Chicago 2008 615 crimes per 100k

Chicago 2015 426 crimes per 100k

Clearly crime is going down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    We need to ban all guns from Chicago! Oh wait ...

Here's a crazy suggestion. Give the people all the guns they desire. Once the crooks realise that whoever on the street might shoot back, they'll think twice before drawing a gun out. or maybe they'll get shot dead. Win-win in either case. I mean, there must be a reason why the states with the highest amount of firearms per capita have among the lowest crime rates.
    That's a stupid idea.

The reason guns are still a problem in Chicago is because you can easily just drive somewhere else with lax gun was and buy, that's why gun laws on the local level rarely ever work.

Chicago is two steps away from going under and being the next Detroit.

The reason why nothing has been done about the violence in Chicago is pretty simple yet appalling. The real answer is that the areas in which this violence exists are treated as either simple voting districts or wastes of time. Since the majority of shootings are in a small number of districts, there isn't much pressure to get anything done. Additionally, Chicago is about 60-65% minority. "Cracking down" on crime by extension means cracking down on minorities and that's not good for getting reelected into office.

Just as a point...

Englewood, where several of these took place, has a homicide rate of 107 per 100,000 people. National average for the US is about 5 per 100,000. Let that sink in for a moment.
    Last edited by hakujinbakasama; 2017-08-22 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    So you're full of shit, think you're a mind reader and don't think the amount of people getting murdered is a big deal? My small town has had 2 murders in 5 years and it's been a travesty for us. I couldn't imagine living in a place that has such a high rate of murder, If eel bad for all the innocents living there.
    Look at you with your Independent Outrage. Where is that outrage for the poor people of East St. Louis? People who's lives are ruined by the opiate epidemic? People who will lose healthcare because parts of Obamacare will lose funding?

Yet somehow you have time in your day to make mention of shootings that happen in one large city in America. How very Independent of you to mention Chicago. No one's ever brought up that subject before.

Here's a map from 2016, each dot is a shooting I think not necessarily a murder.

Austin is the worst neighborhood.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2017-08-22 at 02:47 PM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    Except then why doesn't the next state over where the guns are easy to get have the same issue?

They don't have an underlying gang/poverty issue?

How does gun control make them more violent as you seem to be trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Look at you with your Independent Outrage. Where is that outrage for the poor people of East St. Louis? People who's lives are ruined by the opiate epidemic? People who will lose healthcare because parts of Obamacare will lose funding?

Yet somehow you have time in your day to make mention of shootings that happen in one large city in America. How very Independent of you to mention Chicago. No one's ever brought up that subject before.
    Stop derailing the post, spare em your feels, why can't you agree the violence is a bad thing and that it needs to stop? Not only are you a terrible liar and baiting me with political post in a non political thread you can't even grasp common sense and reasoning.

Yet somehow you have time in your day to make mention of shootings that happen in one large city in America. How very Independent of you to mention Chicago. No one's ever brought up that subject before
    You can blame the media then because it's a recurring news story I see in my news feed

Quote Originally Posted by Uko View Post
    I'm shocked there is any gun violence in Chicago they have incredibly strict gun control laws! Its almost as if making it hard for legal and trained users to aquare guns opens them up to the people who ignore the laws on the book and just do what they want anyway.
    Most deaths are gang related. The victims are usually also gang members, or are family members of gang members. Who typically have guns. Many incidents are drive bys.

It is an interesting question as to what extent different policies in Chicago would have, but letting everyone have guns may not have the beneficial effects you think it will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop derailing the post, spare em your feels, why can't you agree the violence is a bad thing and that it needs to stop? Not only are you a terrible liar and baiting me with political post in a non political thread you can't even grasp common sense and reasoning.

You can blame the media then because it's a recurring news story I see in my news feed
    This isn't a non political thread. The solutions to the violence are political in nature and have clear partisan divides. Right wants more policing and harsher punishments, left wants more rehabilitation and social programs to lift people out of gang violence and poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    This isn't a non political thread. The solutions to the violence are political in nature and have clear partisan divides. Right wants more policing and harsher punishments, left wants more rehabilitation and social programs to lift people out of gang violence and poverty.
    Neither are effective, which is the comical point in all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarine View Post
    Except then why doesn't the next state over where the guns are easy to get have the same issue?
    http://www.areavibes.com/gary-in/crime/

"The crime data reveals that the overall Gary, IN crime rates are 67% higher than in comparison to the Indiana mean and are 74% higher than the nation's mean. In regards to violent offenses, Gary, IN has a rate that is 52% higher than the Indiana average; compared to the United States, it is 58% higher than. Looking at crimes involving property, Gary, IN is 69% higher than its state's mean, and 77% higher than the country's average."

And where do gangbangers get their guns? In gun-friendly Gary, Indiana. Thanks Mike Pence!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Neither are effective, which is the comical point in all of it.
    Seeing as the the United states has never had any serious rehabilitation programs and our social programs are a joke compared to other countries I'd say we haven't really tried it to say its ineffective. Certainly though our current system of punishment above all else is ineffective.

Gee I wonder why? Conservative Mainstream Media in action. Or perhaps you may want to work on your confirmation bias Independent Thinker.

Chicago is violent. It could be better but its by no means the most violent city in America. There is no special reason to mention it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Only thing that will lift people out of gang violence and poverty is themselves, anything else is another free handout getting more ppl hooked on the tit of someone or something else wont work.. those that really have the desire, get off their butts and work themselves out, most of those that are crying are just sitting around waiting on someone else to give me a free handout. yet again. and that has a poor poor track record.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    We need to ban all guns from Chicago! Oh wait ...

Here's a crazy suggestion. Give the people all the guns they desire. Once the crooks realise that whoever on the street might shoot back, they'll think twice before drawing a gun out. or maybe they'll get shot dead. Win-win in either case. I mean, there must be a reason why the states with the highest amount of firearms per capita have among the lowest crime rates.
    Because when a gang shoot out happens both sides think the other doesn't have guns I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Seeing as the the United states has never had any serious rehabilitation programs and our social programs are a joke compared to other countries I'd say we haven't really tried it to say its ineffective. Certainly though our current system of punishment above all else is ineffective.
    That simply depends on point of view and context. Data doesn't support the narrative unfortunately. The black population has been doing worse since the 1970. Yet other minority groups and their children don't share this problem. http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ion-americans/

So at some point culture needs to be addressed.

Why do some people fixate so much on Chicago, when it's not even in the top 10 or even 20 of violent cities in the US per capita?

I can't possibly be because it's politically beneficial to attack Obama's town. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Why do some people fixate so much on Chicago, when it's not even in the top 10 or even 20 of violent cities in the US per capita?

I can't possibly be because it's politically beneficial to attack Obama's town. Obviously.
    1. Because it's one of the top 5 cities in the United States.
    2. Because the per capita numbers are seriously misleading.
    3. It's in a Democrat controlled everything.
    4. It violates most left narrative.
    5. It has the second most corrupt history next to NYC.
    6. Michael Jordan.... or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    That simply depends on point of view and context. Data doesn't support the narrative unfortunately. The black population has been doing worse since the 1970. Yet other minority groups and their children don't share this problem. http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ion-americans/

So at some point culture needs to be addressed.
    It's a mix of social and cultural. Most of the black community is embedded and has been for generations in the inner cities that are neglected with very little interest in investment (understandable). Immigrants even first generation had an easier time picking and choosing where to live in comparison.

It's chicago....

We'd be better off building trumps wall around that city and letting it finish itself off.

1. Because it's one of the top 5 cities in the United States.
    2. Because the per capita numbers are seriously misleading.
    3. It's in a Democrat controlled everything.
    4. It violates most left narrative.
    5. It has the second most corrupt history next to NYC.
    6. Michael Jordan.... or something.
    How are per capita numbers misleading, exactly? Methinks they're the best way to measure how violent a city really is. If Chicago has twice more murders than Town X but is three times more populous, it's less violent.