Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Since everything gives cancer now, i think we should all sue each other. I need new socks.

The company neglected to inform consumers of the risks involved with using the product!

They KNEW it was giving people cancer and didnt tell anyone. I cannot believe you guys are defending them.

417 million sounds like a lot, but this is a 358.76 BILLION dollar company. This ruling didnt even hurt their shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarflash View Post
    The company neglected to inform consumers of the risks involved with using the product!

They KNEW it was giving people cancer and didnt tell anyone. I cannot believe you guys are defending them.

417 million sounds like a lot, but this is a 358.76 BILLION dollar company. This ruling didnt even hurt their shares.

Yeah, but there is no solid proof that talc causes cancer far as I can tell.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Since everything gives cancer now, i think we should all sue each other. I need new socks.
    Why do you want new socks when they're just going to give you cancer?! The only thing that doesn't give you cancer is the sweet release of death, and that even kills you too! Just can't win.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    Why do you want new socks when they're just going to give you cancer?! The only thing that doesn't give you cancer is the sweet release of death, and that even kills you too! Just can't win.
    Fugggggg send helppppp

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Guys, have you heard. There is a link between people who drink Water and people that get Cancer. Apparently its a 100% occurrence rate. Lets sue the Water companies.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it does, since if they pay out the 417 mil they are accepting the liability which opens them up to more cases AND to people not using their products anymore.

Deleted
    Of course it's the US.

People over there have Juries.

Can you imagine your average Joe trying to figure out what talcum powder it actually made of?

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember our church tried to get the congregation to boycott J&J because they are satanists? donate to satanists? affiliated with satanists? I've never found anything that suggests that.

But if they're giving people cancer... maybe, just maybe, its all true... dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnn!

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people so ok with companies putting out harmful/possible harmful products without warning?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah swear to go know some people that I would have thought lived off the shit.

Give me

Any day
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'd like to see evidence that talc causes cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Why are people so ok with companies putting out harmful/possible harmful products without warning?
    Again, see above. Where's the evidence? Also, you want companies to place warning on products that might possibly be harmful? Perhaps an exaggeration, but tell me a product, and I'm sure someone somewhere in some way has been harmed by it, or I could come up with a way with relative ease.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I'd like to see evidence that talc causes cancer.

Again, see above. Where's the evidence? Also, you want companies to place warning on products that might possibly be harmful? Perhaps an exaggeration, but tell me a product, and I'm sure someone somewhere in some way has been harmed by it, or I could come up with a way with relative ease.

It was shown in court. Feel free to look it up if you want.

There is also,
    https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...nd-cancer.html

And

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc
    Safety[edit]Talc powder is a household item, sold globally for use in personal hygiene and cosmetics. Suspicions have been raised that its use contributes to certain types of disease, mainly cancers of the ovaries and lungs. It is classified as a group 3 agent in the IARC listing.[9] Reviews by Cancer Research UK and the American Cancer Society conclude that some studies have found a link, but other studies have not.[10][11]

The studies discuss pulmonary issues,[12] lung cancer,[13][14] and ovarian cancer.[15] One of these, published in 1993, was a US National Toxicology Program report, which found that cosmetic grade talc containing no asbestos-like fibres was correlated with tumor formation in rats forced to inhale talc for 6 hours a day, five days a week over at least 113 weeks.[13] A 1971 paper found particles of talc embedded in 75% of the ovarian tumors studied.[16] Research published in 1995 and 2000 concluded that it was plausible that talc could cause ovarian cancer, but no conclusive evidence was shown.[17][18]

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Beats me... people just really like blaming victims.

Or they see the money and get envious and are like "how dare they get money"

Basically just stupid on all sides.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How does talc cause cancer, I thought talc was about as inert as you can get?

Some women who have used baby powder for hygiene have gotten ovarian cancer. More than a 1,000 people have filed suit and juries have awarded zero dollars to this $417 million and everything in between.

There was a scientific study that linked talk to cancer but there were flaws with the study like they would ask women "have you used talc?" and the women had to rely on their memories. I think most legit science people would say that they just don't know if talc causes cancer.

Johnson & Johnson are going to appeal of course.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/busine...LAe5VAUwO.html

A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalised woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company’s iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

The verdict in the lawsuit brought by the California woman, Eva Echeverria, marks the largest sum awarded in a series of talcum powder lawsuit verdicts against Johnson & Johnson in courts around the US.

Echeverria alleged Johnson & Johnson failed to adequately warn consumers about talcum powder’s potential cancer risks. She used the company’s baby powder on a daily basis beginning in the 1950s until 2016 and was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007, according to court papers.

Echeverria developed ovarian cancer as a “proximate result of the unreasonably dangerous and defective nature of talcum powder,” she said in her lawsuit.

Echeverria’s attorney, Mark Robinson, said his client is undergoing cancer treatment while hospitalised and told him she hoped the verdict would lead Johnson & Johnson to put additional warnings on its products.

“Mrs. Echeverria is dying from this ovarian cancer and she said to me all she wanted to do was to help the other women throughout the whole country who have ovarian cancer for using Johnson & Johnson for 20 and 30 years,” Robinson said.

“She really didn’t want sympathy,” he added. “She just wanted to get a message out to help these other women.”

The jury’s award included $68 million in compensatory damages and $340 million in punitive damages, Robinson said. The evidence in the case included internal documents from several decades that “showed the jury that Johnson & Johnson knew about the risks of talc and ovarian cancer,” Robinson said.

“Johnson & Johnson had many warning bells over a 30 year period but failed to warn the women who were buying its product,” he said.

Johnson & Johnson spokeswoman Carol Goodrich said in a statement that the company will appeal the jury’s decision. She says while the company sympathises with women suffering from ovarian cancer that scientific evidence supports the safety of Johnson’s baby powder.

The verdict came after a St. Louis, Missouri jury in May awarded $110.5 million to a Virginia woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2012.

She had blamed her illness on her use of the company’s talcum powder-containing products for more than 40 years.

Besides that case, three other trials in St. Louis had similar outcomes last year — with juries awarding damages of $72 million, $70.1 million and $55 million, for a combined total of $307.6 million.

Another St. Louis jury in March rejected the claims of a Tennessee woman with ovarian and uterine cancer who blamed talcum powder for her cancers.

Two similar cases in New Jersey were thrown out by a judge who said the plaintiffs’ lawyers did not presented reliable evidence linking talc to ovarian cancer.

More than 1,000 other people have filed similar lawsuits. Some who won their lawsuits won much lower amounts, illustrating how juries have wide latitude in awarding monetary damages.

Johnson & Johnson is preparing to defend itself and its baby powder at upcoming trials in the US, Goodrich said.
    Los Angeles? That's California. The same California who have their own list of carcinogens that isn't supported by anyone else than themselves? Yeah this reeks of nonsense, unscientific garbage. This seems to be "Vaccines cause Autism"-levels of stupidity.
    I'm sure the company will dispute this verdict to a higher court.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Los Angeles? That's California. The same California who have their own list of carcinogens that isn't supported by anyone else than themselves? Yeah this reeks of nonsense, unscientific garbage. This seems to be "Vaccines cause Autism"-levels of stupidity.
    "small tiny particles in your genitals and lungs totally isn't bad for you, this is just stupidity!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

You know this is the 4-5th successful lawsuit about this. And there are 1000's more in the works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc
    Litigation[edit]In February 2016, as the result of a lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson (J&J), a St. Louis jury awarded $72 million to the family of an Alabama woman who died from ovarian cancer. The family claimed that the use of talcum powder was responsible for her cancer.

In May 2016, a South Dakota woman was awarded $55 million as the result of another lawsuit against J&J.[23] The woman had used Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder for more than 35 years before being diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2011.

In October 2016, a St. Louis jury awarded $70.1 million to a Californian woman with ovarian cancer who had used Johnson's Baby Powder for 45 years.[24]

In August 2017, a Los Angeles jury awarded $417 million to a Californian woman, Eva Echeverria, who developed ovarian cancer as a "proximate result of the unreasonably dangerous and defective nature of talcum powder," her lawsuit against Johnson & Johnson stated.[25]

At least 1,200 to 2,000 other talcum powder-related lawsuits are pending.[24][26]

Man, I've used johnson & johnson baby powder for years so I don't get sweaty balls.

No testicular cancer yet!

she breathed the air and drank the water every day since she was born! much more likely than the power. she is just looking for $$$

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Still do that on a daily basis, maybe I could sue and you can use my case to be back paid for damages caused to you when you were 12.
    Why would you want to make your dick drier when you jerk it? You're gonna hurt yourself. You want to lube it up not dry it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodrunner View Post
    she breathed the air and drank the water every day since she was born! much more likely than the power. she is just looking for $$$
    Hell, is she a smoker maybe...? Why is baby powder the correlation here? It could be anything else these women have in common.

Deleted
    Without baby powder no human would exist. This is very serious.

Even without talking about "what is powder about"