Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I mean, basically what happened here is that ESPN said "Hey, it's a little weird to have a Virginia game called by Robert Lee when people in Virginia just went through a whole thing about a statue of Robert Lee, so let's see if he minds calling a different game instead". Then they asked him. He said, "Yea, that probably would be a little weird, I'll work a different game. Won't be a problem". End of story. It's you idiots that can only maintain an erection to the soothing tones of Alex Jones screaming the word snowflake on an uninterrupted loop that made an issue out of something no one had a problem with. Dude wasn't fired. Wasn't penalized. Wasn't negatively impacted in any way. Aren't you the ones that get all pissed off when someone gets offended on behalf of someone else who clearly wasn't offended. That guy that isn't a racist because he told that joke to his black friend and he laughed at it so it's everyone else's problem. That's you guys. So apparently it is ok to be offended for someone else if you feel that it impacts a greater trend. Huh, it's almost like you don't care about that at all, you just want to yell about things you disagree with.

So sick of the self righteous bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Yes, he was retarded, and so is ESPN, and so is anybody who would be triggered by seeing the name of somebody that lived 150 years ago on TV as a different person.

For fucks sake his name isn't even Robert E. Lee.

It's just Robert Lee. AND HES FUCKING ASIAN!

I can't even understand how this is a thing.
    Ok, well it seems like I'm not doing so well in trying to let cooler heads prevail. We'll never know if anyone would have actually been triggered by it or if ESPN were being overly conscientious out of respect. I'm honestly not sure why it's even a thing either, since no-one involved seems to be upset and the only people who are upset have nothing to do with any of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    it would only be in bad taste in the minds of people who think all persons named Robert Lee are identical. Basically those without critical thinking skills.
    What? No. They don't have to be the exact same person for people to think it would be in bad taste. All that's required is prior knowledge from ESPN beforehand of the scheduling and inaction. If it had happened on it's own it would be cruel irony, if it happened by design or inaction it could easily be seen as a slight. Not that it's guaranteed to be seen as such but why take the risk when it costs you absolutely nothing to change it?

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I mean, basically what happened here is that ESPN said "Hey, it's a little weird to have a Virginia game called by Robert Lee when people in Virginia just went through a whole thing about a statue of Robert Lee, so let's see if he minds calling a different game instead". Then they asked him. He said, "Yea, that probably would be a little weird, I'll work a different game. Won't be a problem". End of story. It's you idiots that can only maintain an erection to the soothing tones of Alex Jones screaming the word snowflake on an uninterrupted loop that made an issue out of something no one had a problem with. Dude wasn't fired. Wasn't penalized. Wasn't negatively impacted in any way. Aren't you the ones that get all pissed off when someone gets offended on behalf of someone else who clearly wasn't offended. That guy that isn't a racist because he told that joke to his black friend and he laughed at it so it's everyone else's problem. That's you guys. So apparently it is ok to be offended for someone else if you feel that it impacts a greater trend. Huh, it's almost like you don't care about that at all, you just want to yell about things you disagree with.

So sick of the self righteous bullshit.
    again, it's only "a little weird" if you operate on the assertion that a person's name has anything to do with their character, and that comparing a live person and a dead person could in ANY way be confused with each other.

And think of what this story would have been like if Virginia was a top ranked school in the rankings and this would have been Lee's big break (Lee the alive Asian broadcaster, not the dead civil war general, just in case you are still confused).

It's hilarious you have turned people think it's stupid that ESPN would replace someone because of his name into people who are offended on behalf of the others.

It reminds me of when we make fun of triggered people and one of you guys comes in and is like "HAHA LOOK YOU GUYS ARE JUST AS TRIGGERED LELELELELEL!"

no. we aren't triggered. we just think it's dumb.
    No, you absolutely are. But you can't be triggered because only liberal, snowflake, sjw, (whatever buzzword comes along next week), can be triggered.

This thing happened. You got upset about it. That's what a fucking trigger is. Then you came here to rant about it and laugh at all the "retards" that don't get it. You're exactly the same, just on the other side of the debate. It's obnoxious.

They didn't replace him. Replace means he's gone. They switched him. And he thought that was fine.

again, it's only "a little weird" if you operate on the assertion that a person's name has anything to do with their character, and that comparing a live person and a dead person could in ANY way be confused with each other.

And think of what this story would have been like if Virginia was a top ranked school in the rankings and this would have been Lee's big break (Lee the alive Asian broadcaster, not the dead civil war general, just in case you are still confused).
    No, it's a little weird because it's a random coincidence that no one would have thought about two weeks ago. If they thought it reflected on his character, this would be a different discussion. No one thinks his name makes him a racist. That's an idiotic assertion to even mention. It's just trying to place a value in the mouth of your opposition that was never there by literal word or connotation just to make your side seem superior.

Wait which one of them was the civil war guy again? The names are really confusing me.
    to alleviate the confusion, ESPN will collectively request that this announcer change his name to Robert "You don't understand, man, I'm not that guy!" Lee. A little long, but somebody has to be willing to carry the burden of progress.

No I'm not triggered because I'm not upset lol. If i got triggered every time something like this happened I would have killed myself by now.
    Then maybe you should see a therapist. Seems an overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    No, it's a little weird because it's a random coincidence that no one would have thought about two weeks ago. If they thought it reflected on his character, this would be a different discussion. No one thinks his name makes him a racist. That's an idiotic assertion to even mention. It's just trying to place a value in the mouth of your opposition that was never there by literal word or connotation just to make your side seem superior.
    again, in a first world goddamn country, there should be no issue what a person's name is. Americans, at least the so-called progressive intelligent left, should not be dumb enough to even make an issue out of a guy's name. Again, what if Virginia (or their opponent) is a top 3 ranked school and this was going to be Lee's big break? Obviously nobody gives a fuck about his career aspirations, right?

Again, what if Virginia (or their opponent) is a top 3 ranked school and this was going to be Lee's big break? Obviously nobody gives a fuck about his career aspirations, right?
    Oh so we're resorting to hypotheticals to make the situation seem worse than it is after implying people can't tell the difference between the two people? Just absolutely fantastic arguments, I can see why everyone is outraged now.

Bit of implied sensationalism.

The dude wasn't fired. He was going to announce a game in virginia, where Neo-nazis had recently been causing some shit, so a decision was made collectively to put someone else. He likely got a pretty good monetary compensation for the deal.

This is no different than banning footage of the World Trade Center shortly after 9/11. "Too Soon", and all that bs. For the record, I don't think its okay, but its not like the guy's life was ruined because of his name.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post

The dude wasn't fired. He was going to announce a game in virginia, where Neo-nazis had recently been causing some shit, so a decision was made collectively to put someone else. He likely got a pretty good monetary compensation for the deal.

This is no different than banning footage of the World Trade Center shortly after 9/11. "Too Soon", and all that bs. For the record, I don't think its okay, but its not like the guy's life was ruined because of his name.
    Still doesn't make it okay. He didn't choose his name.

thats beyond fucked up.

Clearly you didn't actually read what I said or you would see how weird of a response this is.
    My response is about at the level of your comment. Plenty of people have actual, real triggers (yes that is an actual psychological thing regardless of how some morons on the internet use it) and get along without killing themselves just fine. I understand that your response was dismissive hyperbole. I ignored it because that was pretty much the only response it deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    But it makes it way less sensational..

I had to hunt down a non-right wing source just to get the straight story without all the fucking sensationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    I know it doesn't make it okay. Did you miss the part of my unedited post where I specifically said "I don't think its okay"?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Oh so we're resorting to hypotheticals to make the situation seem worse than it is after implying people can't tell the difference between the two people? Just absolutely fantastic arguments, I can see why everyone is outraged now.
    my hypothetical is a lot more valid than the one asserted by the people making this original decision. a major university could very well be good enough to play in a big game. on the other hand, an alive Asian man could never be the same as a dead civil war general. But here we are.

Then why are you making excuses for them?

The whole thing is that it feels "too soon and weird"

again, in a first world goddamn country, there should be no issue what a person's name is. Americans, at least the so-called progressive intelligent left, should not be dumb enough to even make an issue out of a guy's name. Again, what if Virginia (or their opponent) is a top 3 ranked school and this was going to be Lee's big break? Obviously nobody gives a fuck about his career aspirations, right?
    But that's not what happened. If it was the guy's big break, he'd probably be upset about being asked to step aside. But we're off in hypothetical land now. Back in the real world, he agreed with ESPN's assessment, took a different assignment, and continues to, very likely, make more money doing his job than any of us here.

Sounds like you're trying to justify something that wasn't a major issue to start with.